JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I am new to the site, looks like I will be spending alot of time here. A friend of mine recently inherited 10 guns from her deceased father. These are some old ones, some are one of a kind and will be tough to appraise.

1st one I am looking for a value on is marked as follows
Markings on top of barrel
RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
ER. MASS.USA

Side of receiver is marked
H&R .22 Single shot
Long rifle cartridge
U.S.R.A. Model
This gun is in nearly perfect condition.

Another rare find is a S&W model 1950. Unfortunately, the person who owned it cut out the front of the trigger gaurd because he had very large fingers. Any ideas what this would be worht in this condition?

Thanks,
Josh

Another rare find is a S&W model 1950. Unfortunately, the person who owned it cut out the front of the trigger gaurd because he had very large fingers. Any ideas what this would be worht in this condition?

As in they cut off the trigger guard? The model of 1950 is rare, but if the guard is cut off, then it is beyond repair, which means it's only worth what someone would pay for it, or what sentimental value it would have. I would guess that someone might pay $100-300 maybe if they wanted it for a shooter, maybe less. If the trigger guard is still intact and just made wider, then it would fetch a little more, but not much, since it's beyond returning to factory original.

You would probably get more by parting it out at that point.

What caliber is it in?

here are the pics. The bottom one is the S&W 1950 in .45, the two on top are beleived to be S&W 38/44 outdoorsman in .38 cal. It should be illegal to do this to a gun.
sw.gif

Wow, the guy should have cut down his finger instead of the gun. Yeah it looks in great shape too. Depending on what caliber it is (.45acp, colt, or .44) you might be able to get some money out of the parts other than the frame. Other than that, it's a gun with a destroyed frame.

Yes, its actually a long colt. It's really a shame that this was trashed like this.

Yeah they defintely destroyed an extremely valuable gun, although those prices on those auctions are a bit high IMO, the .45lc will easily fetch 2-3x what the other calibers will. Apparently according to articles about it, only 200 were made in .45lc.

On those pistols with the cut trigger guards.. I'd not go breaking them just yet.... not until a competent gunsmith or welder has had a chance at repairing them. Sure, it would involve welding metal back onto the guard, assuring proper shape and all, then milling things smooth again and refinishing. It would take an investment, but I doubt it would be that much, If they are parts pieces now, and two,maybe three hundred would put them right again, it would be worth considering. Competent metalsmithing can do amazing things.The operant word being "competent".

Not sure where to send you.... maybe someone else has an idea??

On those pistols with the cut trigger guards.. I'd not go breaking them just yet.... not until a competent gunsmith or welder has had a chance at repairing them. Sure, it would involve welding metal back onto the guard, assuring proper shape and all, then milling things smooth again and refinishing. It would take an investment, but I doubt it would be that much, If they are parts pieces now, and two,maybe three hundred would put them right again, it would be worth considering. Competent metalsmithing can do amazing things.The operant word being "competent".

My thoughts exactly.

I had that thought, but idk if the money put it will bring the value up equally.

Some early combat gunsuls in the 60s cut the fronts of the TG to increase the reliability of getting on the trigger as fast as possible. At the time, it wasn't considered the ruination of the gun, but then the sporterizing of 1903s and Enfields wasn't either. I would put it back into original condition, but first I'd get a few well-educated estimates of its worth first. It may be worth more to a collector as-is than repaired or parted out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top