Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need help identifying and appraising some old firearms

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by JZO, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

Hello all, I am new to the site, looks like I will be spending alot of time here. A friend of mine recently inherited 10 guns from her deceased father. These are some old ones, some are one of a kind and will be tough to appraise.

1st one I am looking for a value on is marked as follows
    Markings on top of barrel
    RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
    ER. MASS.USA

Side of receiver is marked
    H&R .22 Single shot
    Long rifle cartridge
    U.S.R.A. Model
    This gun is in nearly perfect condition.

Another rare find is a S&W model 1950. Unfortunately, the person who owned it cut out the front of the trigger gaurd because he had very large fingers. Any ideas what this would be worht in this condition?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

As in they cut off the trigger guard? The model of 1950 is rare, but if the guard is cut off, then it is beyond repair, which means it's only worth what someone would pay for it, or what sentimental value it would have. I would guess that someone might pay $100-300 maybe if they wanted it for a shooter, maybe less. If the trigger guard is still intact and just made wider, then it would fetch a little more, but not much, since it's beyond returning to factory original.

You would probably get more by parting it out at that point.

What caliber is it in?

3. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

here are the pics. The bottom one is the S&W 1950 in .45, the two on top are beleived to be S&W 38/44 outdoorsman in .38 cal. It should be illegal to do this to a gun.
    sw.gif

4. PhysicsGuy

Wow, the guy should have cut down his finger instead of the gun. Yeah it looks in great shape too. Depending on what caliber it is (.45acp, colt, or .44) you might be able to get some money out of the parts other than the frame. Other than that, it's a gun with a destroyed frame.

5. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

45 colt and 2 in 38 cal

6. PhysicsGuy

7. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

Yes, its actually a long colt. It's really a shame that this was trashed like this.

8. PhysicsGuy

Yeah they defintely destroyed an extremely valuable gun, although those prices on those auctions are a bit high IMO, the .45lc will easily fetch 2-3x what the other calibers will. Apparently according to articles about it, only 200 were made in .45lc.

9. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

I have some one of a kind NFA guns I will post tomorrow. Some really old stuff

10. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

On those pistols with the cut trigger guards.. I'd not go breaking them just yet.... not until a competent gunsmith or welder has had a chance at repairing them. Sure, it would involve welding metal back onto the guard, assuring proper shape and all, then milling things smooth again and refinishing. It would take an investment, but I doubt it would be that much, If they are parts pieces now, and two,maybe three hundred would put them right again, it would be worth considering. Competent metalsmithing can do amazing things.The operant word being "competent".

Not sure where to send you.... maybe someone else has an idea??

11. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

12. PhysicsGuy

I had that thought, but idk if the money put it will bring the value up equally.

13. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I'll bet the .45 would be worth fixing, What are the .38s worth if they were whole?

14. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

Some early combat gunsuls in the 60s cut the fronts of the TG to increase the reliability of getting on the trigger as fast as possible. At the time, it wasn't considered the ruination of the gun, but then the sporterizing of 1903s and Enfields wasn't either. I would put it back into original condition, but first I'd get a few well-educated estimates of its worth first. It may be worth more to a collector as-is than repaired or parted out.

15. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Izo, I would not repair them. They are worth money the way they are. Check around the Smith&Wesson Forum for more information. Spad

16. Rugerbub

Rugerbub OREGON Member

So when r u planing on selling them????????:D

17. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

They are for sale now, just need to figure out a fair price
    Thanks for the great advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

18. PhysicsGuy

The smith and wesson forum is a great place to ask, there might be someone there that knows exactly how much this modification affects the value.

19. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

you should be able to find someone to fix them
    it might take alittle time but a if you find the right smith you wont be able to tell when they are done