JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is not an 1898 type, as it has a small bolt shroud.

Possibly an 1893 / 38, but it does not have the relief cut in the front ring common to the 1893 Turkish Model.

I would like to learn of the results of the chamber cast ...a caliber chambering may help...
for instance if its 6.5mm ...then it may be a Swedish Model 38....

Also barrel length of the rifle in question would be of help.

The Turks and their Model 38 were not as standard we would like...many different models of Mausers were used to make the model 38......
Andy

I would like to learn of the results of the chamber cast ...a caliber chambering may help...
for instance if its 6.5mm ...then it may be a Swedish Model 38....

Also barrel length of the rifle in question would be of help.

The Turks and their Model 38 were not as standard we would like...many different models of Mausers were used to make the model 38......
Andy
The overall length is 41 1/4 and the barrel is 22, or just under. I measured it last night but it's not exactly accurate of a measurement as I would like with it not being removed. Damn close to 22 inches

Spanish 1916 short rifle? From what I can see the stock seems to be configured the same and the barrel length is pretty much the same at 21.75". The mark on the top of your bolt stop also looks like the "Maltese Cross" on this one:
727M16.14.jpg
It looks similar to the NATO cross, and some of the Spanish short rifles were converted to 7.62x51 (either NATO or CETME depending on who you believe), as well as 8x57, but the 7.62 conversions were also configured differently. The only other Mausers I can think of that used a pre-98 style receiver and usually have a notch in the left side for clip loading are the Swedish, Serbian 1899, and Turkish that were converted in the 1930's. It's strange that the receiver doesn't have any markings besides what looks like a serial number on the left, but I found a thread on Gunboards about unmarked Spanish Mausers from a quick search, so it's not unheard of.

Edit: the "LC" on the top of the stock just behind the receiver tang is apparently for the La Coruna arsenal.

Last Edited:
Spanish 1916 short rifle? From what I can see the stock seems to be configured the same and the barrel length is pretty much the same at 21.75". The mark on the top of your bolt stop also looks like the "Maltese Cross" on this one:
View attachment 637197
It looks similar to the NATO cross, and some of the Spanish short rifles were converted to 7.62x51 (either NATO or CETME depending on who you believe), as well as 8x57, but the 7.62 conversions were also configured differently. The only other Mausers I can think of that used a pre-98 style receiver and usually have a notch in the left side for clip loading are the Swedish, Serbian 1899, and Turkish that were converted in the 1930's. It's strange that the receiver doesn't have any markings besides what looks like a serial number on the left, but I found a thread on Gunboards about unmarked Spanish Mausers from a quick search, so it's not unheard of.

Edit: the "LC" on the top of the stock just behind the receiver tang is apparently for the La Coruna arsenal.
Your picture has some of the same markings. In the original 2 posts of this thread I posted pics of all the markings on the gun. I did find that the LC on my stock likely means La Coruna and I have that same cross in two different locations on the gun and the serial number/or number on the receiver is marked with an x and then 4 numbers.

It is x7602, has an LC, 2 spots where there is a circled cross and what appears to be a mark like in your pic of that symbol in a circle but it's not in the same spot as in your pic.

All I was told is that is is a Turk 7mm but as mentioned earlier I began to doubt so I figured I better find out.

Thanks for the reply. With all of the replies this far I am pretty sure I have a Spanish short but more clues are there, I just have to keep looking

Yup, Looks like a Spaniard to me! The Cross's pretty much nails it, so the real question, what caliber? Me thinks it's likely standard 7X57, which would be slick!
I believe we have nailed it through teamwork.

Thank you everyone that has commented. After a few of the posts above I did a search specifically for the 1916 spanish short mauser and I found a video and, 2 on gun broker and two other online sources and each and everyone is identical to mine right down to the reciever without markings on top. Seems to be common with the short mauser.

It says they started as 7x57 but many were converted to 8mm, 7.62x54 and 7.62x51 but if they were rechambered theyvwould have a marking on the receiver to indicate it had been rechambered.

Even the funny sling attachment on the left side was exactly the same as mine in every one that I found.

Now I'm going to check serial numbers.

That bolt and bayonet lug look a lot more like the argentine/chilean late 1890's than a 98 variant, they also look similar to a swedish mauser. I would definitely slug the chamber as this could be 7mm, 8mm, 7.65, .308 or a couple others. I'd love to see a pic of the left side of the receiver just above the wood.

That bolt and bayonet lug look a lot more like the argentine/chilean late 1890's than a 98 variant, they also look similar to a swedish mauser. I would definitely slug the chamber as this could be 7mm, 8mm, 7.65, .308 or a couple others. I'd love to see a pic of the left side of the receiver just above the wood.

20191130_152845.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads