JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a rifle an elderly friend wants me to help him sell. He says it is an Allen Thurber .50. Finding info online is very difficult for the Allen Thurber rifles, there is a lot of info on their pistols. I can not find any markings on the gun but it looks just like the one photo i found of an Allen Thurber. The gun was engraved both on the receiver and stock from IMG_20170217_110055494.jpg IMG_20170217_110130312.jpg IMG_20170217_110122007.jpg IMG_20170217_110100175.jpg back in the 60's. I am attaching a couple of photos. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Interarms imported a Allen Thurber replica rifle in the 1960's -70's
They had models known as:
Allen & Thurber Special
Allen & Thurber Replica ( Looks like the one in the pic. )
The Georgia Tree Gun
These came in calibers .45 , 50 , .54 , and .58
Rifling twist was listed as 8 grooves with a 1-60 twist.
( Sounds like they were set up for round ball )
They also took over the Mowrey line of rifles.
The Mowrey Hawk is a similar rifle.

The replicas are a pretty good copy of the original Allen & Thurber rifles of the 1840's -60's.
All of the replicas that I have seen looked nice and had quality parts.
I have shot one or two of them and they worked just fine.

The carved "Ram" is aftermarket ... so it might help or hurt a sale.
I have seen used ones go for around $300-$500 at various shows or Rendezvous.
Andy

Andy,
Thanks much for the info! When I read about the replica's it looks like they all were stamped with the manufacturer and caliber. The only thing I can find on this gun is the .50 stamped as shown. Thoughts?

I would "think" that the .50 is a caliber marking.
Hard to say without seeing the rifle.
Maybe when the rifle was carved and engraved ... the barrel was also re-finished and importer marking removed?
Might look under the barrel as well ... Some markings may be hidden by the stock.
Andy

According to my notes, some were made in Spain [Eibar] and some were made in Iddly [Gardone Val Trompia]. It would be interesting to see where this one was made. Likely you'll need to pull the barrel from the stock to find out the truth.

I'm laying money on it being Spanish from the oversize calibre stamp.

As Andy notes above - 1:60 is well inside PRB territory.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads