JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi my name is Gina and I own a Walther P-22 Pistol I love this little gun, but man this thing is loud to practice with :)

Do any of you have any input on what type of .22 I can buy that would be more quite for target practicing with ?

I have been reading some of the forum and some say I need a longer barrel is this correct ? Many Thanks Newbie Gina lol :)

Airsoft?

And +1 on hearing protection, you can pick up a set at Home Depot that would help.

If you shoot often, you may want to invest in some electronic ear protection, allows you to hear normal conversation, and then quiets the gun shots.

I suspect you are wearing hearing protection and your concern is keeping environmental noise to a minimum. I also suspect you find your 22LR pistol loud because you've been shooting it on an indoor shooting range. Trust me, it is not as loud as you think it is.

The best way to reduce noise by tweaking ammo is to go with subsonic ammo. Aguila has 40gr, 60gr and the 20gr Colibri and Super Colibri. The problem with the Walther, Sig Mosquito and other's semi-auto's is that the weaker the load the more failures you are bound to get. Most of these firearms are so finicky that only the highest velocity ammo will shoot reliably. Colibri's won't cycle the slide.

My suggestion?
1. get a 22LR revolver, then you can shoot any kind of 22LR, 22 Short you wish.
2. Switch to a handgun with a longer barrel (Rugers MarkII/III, Browning Buckmark, to name a few).
3. Get a suppressor and a threaded barrel for your Walther.

Check withJC Weaponry, and Coctailer to help you with #2 and #3 above.

Yes civilian75 you are correct :) on me wearing ear protection. Environmental noise to a minimum for my neighbors :) I can shoot at my place legal but I'm trying to be considerate. Thanks maybe all try some different Ammo. I would buy a Suppressor but been told it might take up to 4 - 6 months to receive from all the legal paper work stuff. Thanks Again Gina

Buy a suppressor, the 4-6 months go by quickly.

Beyond that a longer barrel isn't going to reduce the noise at all. If shooting something quiet is a necessity then get an airsoft gun to mess with until the suppressor paperwork shows up.

Unsupressed .22 pistols are generally a lot louder than their rifle/carbine counterparts.

The silencer you are considering will probably take closer to 8 months for paperwork to clear ATF. Perhaps longer as "everyone is applying for everything" in a hurry these days.

CCI makes standard velocity ammo that's a smidge quieter than the super-common high velocity stuff.

Have your neighbors complained? Maybe go to their property to hear what it sounds like if someone pops a few rounds off over at Casa de Gina. It might not be as bad as you imagine because .22 noise disperses pretty quickly outdoors, especially with trees, buildings and stuff.

Hope you find a workable solution. I envy you and want to live out of town for that very reason as soon as I retire .

Last Edited:
I own a Ruger Single Six revolver with I think a 5.5" barrel. Too loud for my liking with std .22lr rounds and no ear muffs. CCI makes the .22short CB which I think has no powder just primer. With .22 CB rounds it is comically quiet. Just a cartoon like pop. There are several versions of the .22 short that vary in power and noise up from there. I see little difference in point of impact at short distances for can shootin' purposes. You will need the revolver to shot 'em though.

Alternately if you are open to a long gun find a .22 rifle or carbine. I'd recommend the Henry base model .22 lever gun. Got mine used cheap. Love it. Rarely aim when plinking cans in close, I just point it and usually hit. At distance it is fantastically accurate in slow aimed fire.

Sorry to tell you but there is no such thing as the "PERFECT" hand gun.... hasn't been invented yet lol.... just messing with you. I would say a suppressor would be a good idea but it's expensive and you have to register and all that mess. Just some basic foam thinggies you squeeze and put in your ear should do the truck.

Not if the neighbors have the thinggies too lol.... wait, where did you come up with neighbors anyways?

Reply from the OP above...:s0112:

Yes civilian75 you are correct :) on me wearing ear protection. Environmental noise to a minimum for my neighbors :) I can shoot at my place legal but I'm trying to be considerate. Thanks maybe all try some different Ammo. I would buy a Suppressor but been told it might take up to 4 - 6 months to receive from all the legal paper work stuff. Thanks Again Gina

With the subsonic Aguila you can actually watch the bullet leave the barrel and watch the entire flight path plus your next door neighbors (even if you are in apartments) will never know why the starlings sitting on the garbage can keep falling over dead! :s0112: yes they are THAT quiet :s0155:
I myself tend to go the other route..... get a 44 magnum and start shooting, and when everyone comes running over to see what you are shooting tell em to bring their own box of ammo and a potluck dish and join in the fun! :cool:

I was talking about this with a guy up here. He lives way out but wanted to keep it down for the neighbors.
I suggested a little booth. Make a couple walls with some rigid foam on them,or anything else soft for deadening the sound.This will cut down the noise for the folks to the sides at least.
He has a trailer he puts his table on to go from distance to distance (up to 400yds in his back yard) He was thinking of something like walls for the trailer.
Just a little shooting booth for the back yard

When it comes to a .22, a 6" barreled revolver is a wonderful handgun. If you want to run a "can" a nice, long-barreled self-loader is a good bet. A self-loading rifle threaded for a suppressor is a nice appliance. It kills pests without disturbing the neighbors. A nice scope will permit you to "clean out" problematic vermin quietly. Not alarming the people next door is always a plus.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top