Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need help...blueing

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by PDXWolf, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PDXWolf

PDXWolf Oregon Active Member

I am so angry right now...and need you all help!

I was prepping my rifle (marlin 444) for hunting season and noticed some rust. I grabbed my rust removal and applied...then noticed the blueing coming off! I grabbed the wrong *#&$ one...took off the blueing!

OMFG!!!

So now I have the barrel about 1/3 or 1/2 with blueing taken off! UGG!!!

Haven't blued before and was wondering how hard...what to use...should I take it all apart or should I just get a gunsmith to do it?

If gunsmith how much does it usually cost?

Steps if I do it myself? Product?

HELP!!!!

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The problem right now is that most gunsmiths are booked up due to the upcoming hunting season. The damage is done, so you might want to do a kitchen table bluing repair job with some Birchwood Casey cold blue. It will keep the rust off while your hunting.

PDXWolf and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PDXWolf

Well luckily I've got many rifle to use for hunting season...this is just my favorite cause it is my brush gun.

So...I have time...patience I've never had BUT...

I have heard partial blueing looks terrible so should I dissemble it and blue the barrel? Or blue it while still attached?

4. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

strip it down to a barreled action and take it to a gunsmith they usually blue guns every 2 weeks or every month because it's not cost effective to blue just one gun. Cost would typically run $100-200. Cold blue is a last resort no other option deal I've used it before and come to the conclusion it's junk :twocents:

5. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

What part of OR are you in and we can try to point in the right direction.

6. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

Why have the rifle reblued?

With all of the options available, that are much more rust resistant, why go back to bluing that is prone to rust and wear.

Especially if the rifle has the wood stock and forearm, which hold moisture.

Would it not make better sense to install a synthetic stock and forearm and a finish that will not rust on a brush gun?

Just a thought.

7. PDXWolf

I like wood stocks and I like to keep it as close to original as possible since it was the first rifle I purchased with my father.

I live in the Portland area closer to beaverton.

8. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

I can understand wanting to keep the rifle as original as possible, especally with the sentimental value.

Quality bluing will not be cheap.

But, from my experience as a hunter in the wet part of the state, i bet that there is rust in the areas next to the wood.

Unless you completely disassembled the rifle and let the wood dry thoroughly, before it was put back together after exposure to moisture, rust is not a matter of if, but when.

Wishing you the best of luck!

M67