JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I live in Oregon but am moving to Washington for a few months and get a WA state ID card and buy a gun using the ID. Do I still need to do a state to state transfer?? or does this ID count as state residence and will be good to go.

This was asked to me today and I have no idea.

By getting a WA State ID card you are saying that you are taking up residence in WA. Your address of residence in WA will be printed on the ID card. They will ask that you give them any out-of-state ID or driver's license so they can invalidate it (by punching a hole in it).

If the person is trying to get a WA ID and keeping an OR license or ID it won't likely work. They will check online unless something has changed recently.

If I thought someone was trying to skirt the law to buy or sell a gun across state lines I would decline.

By getting a WA State ID card you are saying that you are taking up residence in WA. Your address of residence in WA will be printed on the ID card. They will ask that you give them any out-of-state ID or driver's license so they can invalidate it (by punching a hole in it).

If the person is trying to get a WA ID and keeping an OR license or ID it won't likely work. They will check online unless something has changed recently.
You'd be surprised how many people here in WA keep using their out of state license to buy goods tax free. Most clerks don't check closely enough to notice the hole or the person puts a finger over it.

Do the residency requirements also include duration? Do you have to be a legal resident of WA for a certain length of time in order to buy a firearm?

Once you have a WA state ID, you are good to go. I would suggest a CPL so you do not have to wait for a pistol if you wish to purchase one. There is no $10 extra charge, but their may be a 2 to 5 day wait with no CPL.

If I live in Oregon but am moving to Washington for a few months and get a WA state ID card and buy a gun using the ID. Do I still need to do a state to state transfer?? or does this ID count as state residence and will be good to go.

This was asked to me today and I have no idea.

Since you just admitted to only moving here for a short time then you cannot purchase a pistol in Wa. You have to be a resident and being here for a temporary basis does not qualify.

Exactly what law would he be breaking? He said he WILL be a resident of WA during that time.

I am not moving to Washington like I stated the question was asked to me by a friend. I did not know a definitive answer so thought that I would post a thread on here and ask the question. This thread could be helpful to someone in case they are thinking about moving to another state but only temporarily.

IF you move to another state and have ID to prove it you ARE a resident of that state............ Not sure what more you need.

EVERY resident is temporary unless you are born in, never move and die in that state. Otherwise the you are just temporarily there...

Since you just admitted to only moving here for a short time then you cannot purchase a pistol in Wa. You have to be a resident and being here for a temporary basis does not qualify.

Read the law...if he has a WA ID, he is considered a WA resident for the purposes of RCW 9.41. If the state recognizes a person as a resident, the feds will also. There is no min/max amount of time you have to reside in a state before you can be considered a resident...that is up to the state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top