Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need help: AK47 jam

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by matt_w, Mar 4, 2010.

1. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

After a shell is ejected, the new round gets stuck as it enters the barrel in between the barrel and the bolt. Attached is a pic of the jam, along with the bottom of the bolt.

It seems as though this happens quite a bit, but mostly at the start of a new magazine (I'm assuming because the magazine spring is pushing the round up harder). It's easy to clear, just have to pull the carrier back slightly until the round pops up in front of the bolt.

I'm not sure what's causing this...any suggestions? It's an American made receiver, Sierra Arms.

jam1.jpg
    jam2.jpg

2. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

In my opinion...it looks and sounds like the follower is hanging up. From my experience it does happen with new mags. Take the mag apart and see if there is a little bur or tab or something on the follower that might be dragging on the inside of the mag. If that is not it...Clean the mag and lube it up! I have also stretched the spring out a little to make a more possitive feed.

3. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

I vote mag.. DO you have others???? Does it only happen opn specific one(s)???

4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

thats definitely a magazine issue.. just get some new mags. i hear tapco makes the "best" AK mags, but who knows if i've heard right- i'm not an AK guy.

5. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

+1 to the mag...

It looks like its stripping the next round, The feed lips of the mag are not "letting the round go" and the bolt jumps over and jams...

Just get some cheap 30rd steel ones, at least 2 more, and to fix or rule out the mag issues... (then youll have 2 extra mags...

6. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

It does it with the steel mag that came with it, and at least 2 of the 3 plastic mags (I think the brand is pro-mag) that I have.

7. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

It's the magazine. Do as the others have stated. ^^^