JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got new James River Armory M14. It has a Bula barrel, firing mechanism , and Bula trigger group. I cleaned it before taking to the range but it does not cycle correctly. So I took it home opened the piston out and looked at and put it back in. I made a mistake and failed to put the D shape and started put the gas plug back in. I had the piston jam and so people on the M14Forum suggested that I use whatever I had available and knock it out. So I used a rubber mallet and small punch and knocked the piston out without any issues and the gas piston was not damaged at all. I did have little divot on the gas cylinder so I used a very small file and took my time in filling it out. It worked and my gas piston is sliding normally again.

I went to the range today and put a loaded magazine in cycled the bolt load load a round the rigle cycled the first round just fine and ejected the spend case. When I attempted to fire a second round the trigger went click. So I ejected the magazine and pulled the bolt back but the loaded shell did not eject. I used a very small screwdriver to pry the shell out by using the case ridges and that pulled the loaded round out.

Not sure what the issue is that now and I don't believe I damaged the trigger group but I am not sure since I do not know the M14 that well.

Are you shooting reloads?:rolleyes: Sounds like the case shoulder not sized sufficient to
fit your M1A chamber. M1As some have tight match chambers.

I am shooting Federal LC 16 XM80 rounds. I also have some PPU M80 145gr rounds as well.

I called the vendor that I bought the James River Armory M14 back in late June and they put me in touch with Bula Defense that made all of the parts for my M14. I was sent a UPS shipping label and they took care of it. Took about a week each way. They polished the chamber and fired 10 rounds at 200 yards and there were no failures to extract. I took my M14 to an indoor gun range today and fired 80 rounds total since my magazines hold 20 rounds each. I fired three boxes of Federal LC M80 and one box of Priv Partizan M80 rounds. It was nice to fire a working M14. :)

Now I need to work on my long distance shooting which my skills are sorely lacking. I also got the target they used with my rifle as well.

I learned to Rock and Roll with an M-14(with Selector Switch) in '68. Yes, it's a Handful in full-auto BUT it's also VERY Impressive. It was built as a replacement for the BAR using the .308 Winchester round. It did the job Extremely well. And it was an long range rifle and when it hit something, that something stayed Hit.

Enjoy your new Rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads