JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Flunked my vision test at DMV and my license is due for renewal in 12 days. Just found out that most places mail them to you and sometimes it takes a while. Where can I get tested and get glasses or contacts in about a week?

2, I don't know anything about wearing glasses. What do I need to know about looking thru a scope? Will one side have good long range vision and the other side good short?

I tried a web search. Man this is a big can o worms. Someone please simplify it for me.

You are not needing reading glasses, but cannot see things well at a distance, correct?

If that is the case, a red dot/irons will still work for you; same with scopes. If reading glasses, red dots still do the job, iron sight might require glasses; most scopes have parallax adjustment at the end near where your eye is at to adjust to see the crosshairs/reticle.

Post Lasiks, it made my long vision great, but my reading vision worse so with most iron sights I have to wear corrective shooting-type reading glasses (six pack at Costco cheap - 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc)

You could probably go to Clackamas Town Center to one of those vision stores and get glasses pretty fast. They cater to the in a hurry crowd.

Welcome to the club!

Last edited by a moderator:
Flunked my vision test at DMV and my license is due for renewal in 12 days. Just found out that most places mail them to you and sometimes it takes a while. Where can I get tested and get glasses or contacts in about a week?

2, I don't know anything about wearing glasses. What do I need to know about looking thru a scope? Will one side have good long range vision and the other side good short?

I tried a web search. Man this is a big can o worms. Someone please simplify it for me.

Lenscrafters says they make them in about an hour- the used to be in the malls. Not sure if they are good or priced right, but thats quick.

Go get an eye test ASAP, most places have the lenses ground and fitted at a local facility and have them back within 5 business days.

Scopes are no problem, even scopes with very short eye relief (like my ACOG) are 1.5-2 inches which is more than enough to accommodate glasses. With high magnification binoculars and spotting scopes you might have to mash your glasses up to the eyepiece. The only way you will have abberation in your vision from one side to the other is if the optometrist screwed up centering your glasses to your eyes, so go to a reputable place.

If you get eyewear with very high refractive index glass you might have some warping, but since this is your first pair of glasses, just get the regular stuff, it will be cheaper anyways.

You are not needing reading glasses, but cannot see things well at a distance, correct?

I can't see a dang thing, sucks gettin old. My left eye is better for long range but it's lousy up close and the right eye is the opposite. At the mid range where I assume they test both eyes are bad enough that the girls at the DMW were shaking their heads that I was out on the roads at all.

You can go to Lenscrafter and if your prescription isn't too strong or weird they can make them on the spot but they are expensive for what you get. A good local optician can provide a better lens for the same price with a far better warranty, often. I had one who both replaced the lenses and fixed the glasses free for 2 years. Lenscrafters wants to sell you a warranty for only 1 year. Sadly, my guy went out of business a couple years ago. Good luck.

Lenscrafters is quick. They also replace their product within 30 days for ANY reason (last time I checked anyhow).

I've been doing glasses for close to 20 years now, evolvolving into progressive (no line) bifocals - distance clarity at the top of the lens and close-up reading at the bottom.

Scopes and red dots don't seem much different, but iron sights require special attention, which means lifting my chin a bit to access the reading correction at the bottom of the lens. I've more or less adjusted to that when I take time to use sights. I also continue to refine my combat point and shoot reflexes since wearing glasses may not be an option in a life/death emergency.

Not recommended, because I never tried it, but I know a guy who decided to wear only one contact on what he calls his "reading/sighting eye." Says it took him 2 weeks to adjust and he's been doing it for years now.

The cost of new glasses goes up super fast when options are added in for lens materials, coatings, astigmatism, bifocals, autotinting, frames, etc. Maybe start cheap to learn what you like (and need) in a pair of glasses before you pony up big bucks for a pair that you don't really care for.

Got the glasses on the way, hopefully by the end of next week but if not Lenscrafters said they would grind me a temporary set for the DMV test. I'm missing a chunk out of my left cornea due to a workplace accident so it took a bit of working around but in the end I got 20/20 vision. I need three different prescriptions so no contacts, I got the linefree progressives w 1 year warranty, yeah they were spendy.

Thanks

Balding, greying, and now glasses, may as well get a cane to complete the look. Oh and the girls won't look so good anymore. At least I still got :beer:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top