JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I remember hearing our instructor in CHL Class telling us that we better make sure our gun is fully concealed or else... But I've read open carry is Legal here in Oregon. So how can it be against the law to have a barrel tip sticking out the bottom of your coat when you bend over or maybe a bulge on your right hip?

I'm not a big guy, 6ft & maybe 185lbs wet, trying to conceal my full size 45 the best way I can but it seems I'm always going to have a bulge with the type of clothing I wear. I usually wear business casual or Jeans and a Pollo. Any suggestions on a method? Also seeking clarification of the law as far as 'partially concealed' goes if you will. Should I give up trying to conceal a full size? I've read all of the oregon gun law codes and it seems I am about exempt from all of them being that I have my CHL.

I'm looking at a crossbreed super truck... anyone vouge for this holster?

CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe Inside the Waistband Holster Right Hand Springfield XD Full Size, XC Compact Kydex and Cow Hide Black - MidwayUSA

630994.jpg

A lot of it has to do with how much headache you want to cause yourself. Even though you may be able to win a long legal battle, is it worth it to you just to open carry in a town like Portland. It also has to do with how much attention you try to draw to yourself. If you are just reaching for an item on the top shelf at Target no one is going to notice an exposed gun barrel. If you strap on your biggest, shiniest 1911 and go sit with it fully exposed at the mall food court until someone notices you then you will have to at least explain yourself to law enforcement.

You also have to understand that there is a huge difference between exposing your firearm and brandishing it. A bulge under a jacket is not a major issue. A full sized 1911 outline clearly visible under a tight t-shirt might cause you an issue. You have to put effort into concealment if you want to avoid incident. You also have to actually be wanting to avoid incident. I hate it when people do something so obviously intentional then pretend to be shocked when they get cited for disturbing the peace or violating local ordinance.

I personally carried exposed for over an hour at a local restaurant the other day when my pullover got tucked behind my holster. Not a single soul noticed. Not even the five people I was with that day.

I hear what your saying. I definately do not want any attention... Not even a little. That being said do you think the crossbreed or simular holster is the best way to conceal a full size? I forsee the need for an ultra compact in the near future. I think I'm going to get a pocket pistol like a beretta tomcat .25 auto or something.

To be honest, I do not think any holster will completely conceal a full sized gun under just a t-shirt or anything similar. Despite the pics people like to post of themselves standing still with there arms outstretched. If you wear a gun that big under a t-shirt it is going to print. The questing is how bad. A holster like that which holds the gun close to the body and inside the waistband is going to be the best option for making it hard to tell what exactly is bulging under your clothes.

so what would you recomend for a carry piece that is %100 concealable and still packs some punch? 9mm? Seems like thats the consensus around here. I just want to comfortably tuck a pistol away and forget about it. My Bro-in-law used to always carry a tomcat 22lr in his pocket and it seemed like it was part of him as much as his wallet or keys...

It sounds that's what you're looking for, something that is small enough to almost forget you're carrying. I carry a .380 for that reason. I know a lot of people look down their noses at that caliber, they consider it too small. But if you need a gun and you're out of the house, a small caliber handgun in your hand is about 1000 percent better than a large caliber handgun at home in the safe. Just IMHO... (My carry gun is an LCP, in case your interested)

I am 5"9" and weigh about 160. (working on losing some of that!) I carry a Commander (actually a CBOB) in a Galco Summer Special. If I'm wearing a baggy shirt I can just leave it un-tucked, but I'd rather have the T-shirt tucked in and another shirt over that to cover the gun. The holster keeps the gun tucked in and at the right cant so it's very hard to see. Also, being an IWB holster the "cover shirt" does not need to have a long tail like needed for a holster that is outside of the pants. Before I used the IWB holster I used a belt slide. Very comfortable, but I had to wear a long tail shirt or jacket to cover it.
For the times this is not practical, like going out to a nicer restaurant, I have a TCP in a pocket holster that fits nicely in my jacket or front pants pocket.
I also think that with an IWB holster the TCP will see a fair amount of use during the summer.

Get p238 loaded with hornady critical defend and put it in the frony jean pocket plus a springfield amory knife pocket noone will ever know. I work here in GP and few sherrif, gp department, OSP, few CA and OR retired LEs, a detective come to my shop weekly but no one know or care.

I have a supertuck deluxe from crossbreed for my ruger p345 and love it. Even better my ruger Sr9c fits a little loosely for obvious reasons but sits at the appropriate angle and depth. I think the crossbreed was $70 and it was by far the best $70 I have spent on any firearm accessory/holster. I can wear either gun and with a normal t-shirt on and standing no one would ever know there is a gun under the t-shirt. It would be tough to tuck a shirt in with this particular holster but I am not much on tucking my shirt in except for formal events. The midwayusa price is the exact same from crossbreed's site.I would go through crossbreed because you have a number of choices ie cowhide vs horsehide, various hand orientation, combat cut and a choice of clips for various belt combinations. Also you can pick exactly which gun you have vs. a holster that will fit a number of different guns. I went for the cowhide and standard clips, no combat cut. I wear it most days all day and don't mind it a bit. It can be uncomfortable for longer drives (more than an hour) but as far as running errands and getting in and out of a vehicle it is great. The only time it can be seen is if I squat to grab something low but normally people aren't watching others closely enough to even catch a glimpse. When you stand up the t-shirt falls back in place and it is absolutely concealed again.

You might want to look at my video on concealed carry on YouTube.

YouTube - Concealed Carry: Guns, Holsters, Questions, & Answers.

As far as concealed carry is concerned, I find a revolver is easier for me to carry than a semi-auto. The shape fits into my body better. I find semi-autos tend to have hot spots where they rub me. The worst spot is on the upper part of my hip or buttocks.

What caliber you choose is up to you. I personally prefer .40S&W for semi-autos and .38spl for revolvers.

How concerned are you about high capacity?

Fwiw I'm about your size. 6' 190 and I carry a full size pistol (xd service .40) in a crossbreed st @ 4:30. It hides it very well. When bending over the grip prints a bit, but not really enough to notice unless one is looking. Also, a good belt is paramount I have a couple good belts: wilderness tactical, crossbreed, galco...all good belts but I'm partial to the cb couldn't tell you why. I forget I'm wearing it at times.
On another note, when you first start carrying you think everyone is looking at you and see your gun. People aren't that observant. They just flat out have no clue. Even 5-0's don't look that hard. I've talked to and eaten next to several in a t-shirt and never gotten a second look.

Thats what I wanted to hear. I'm going to order a crossbreed today. Probably go for combat cut in black cowhide. thanks again everyone.

As far as a revolver goes thats just not my style. I grew up in the age of semi-auto ;)

Revolver, Semi Auto, Big, Small...... They all have their place and time. Become proficient with all of them.
Any can be carried concealed at the right time if you select suitable clothing or the right firearm to suit the clothing.
No one type of handgun is perfect for all scenarios.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top