JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the record, slobbering all over your ear plugs and then shoving them into your ear hole is f-ing DISGUSTING!!! Drives me absolutely nuts! Why in the he!! would you wanna wet willy yourself???......shudder....:s0092::s0170:

For the record, slobbering all over your ear plugs and then shoving them into your ear hole is f-ing DISGUSTING!!! Drives me absolutely nuts! Why in the he!! would you wanna wet willy yourself???......shudder....:s0092::s0170:
I wasn't gonna say anything but...o_O :D
There used to be an old guy at work that would grab his earplugs after break and lick them before putting them in. The ones he'd been wearing all day! :confused:

I currently use foam ear plugs plus ear muff type hearing protectors but they don't provide adequate attenuation of several types of noise - shooting, lawn tractor, etc. Does anyone know of a better system? I've thought about custom molded earplugs but don't know how effective they would be or where to get them. Has anyone had any experience with them or know of a better system? Where do you get them?
So you're actually saying that with foam plugs in your ears plus earmuffs, your tractor is too loud?

So you're actually saying that with foam plugs in your ears plus earmuffs, your tractor is too loud?

+1. A good set of foam ear plugs should give you about 30NRR. And muffs over that is going to raise it up a bit. Say another 5 NRR. Which makes me ask, how loud is your lawn tractor and/or just what the heck are you shooting?

Are you sure you're installing the plugs correctly? And/or is it possible that the act of putting on the muffs is dislodging the plugs and allowing more sound in?

+1. A good set of foam ear plugs should give you about 30NRR. And muffs over that is going to raise it up a bit. Say another 5 NRR. Which makes me ask, how loud is your lawn tractor and/or just what the heck are you shooting?

Are you sure you're installing the plugs correctly? And/or is it possible that the act of putting on the muffs is dislodging the plugs and allowing more sound in?

Indeed. And be careful that your glasses don't compromise your muff seal.. if you do double up.

I currently use foam ear plugs plus ear muff type hearing protectors but they don't provide adequate attenuation of several types of noise - shooting, lawn tractor, etc. Does anyone know of a better system? I've thought about custom molded earplugs but don't know how effective they would be or where to get them. Has anyone had any experience with them or know of a better system? Where do you get them?
Foam plugs alone should provide more than adequate attenuation of sound if they aren't You very well may not be using them properly. The video posted above or a quick Google search for proper use of ear plugs may be a huge help. A lawn mower is significantly quieter than the MH-60 Helicopters I fly on and the doubled up hearing protection I use is a pair of surefire sonic defenders and the ear muffs in the flight helmet which are no better than what you are likely using and provide more than adequate attenuation of the sound which is above the threshold OSHA recommends double hearing protection for.
4875833388_e542978d32.jpg
You could also always use this method :-D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR