JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently use foam ear plugs plus ear muff type hearing protectors but they don't provide adequate attenuation of several types of noise - shooting, lawn tractor, etc. Does anyone know of a better system? I've thought about custom molded earplugs but don't know how effective they would be or where to get them. Has anyone had any experience with them or know of a better system? Where do you get them?

I use foam and muffs as well when i shoot. Seems to do really good. A member posted an article here a few months back that i think you should check out. It has to do with no matter how good your hearing protection is the sound still vibrates through your body. Simply meaning that you can only reduce the db's by so much.....ill see if i can find the link the link here shortly...

I misspoke, he started a thread about it. No article, interesting info though.

Last Edited:
I got a pair of Champion ear muffs at walmart for $10 and they do a wonderful job of canceling out the noise from a high-power angle grinder grinding on steel in a large, 2-car concrete garage. Essentially, they work well.

I use foam and muffs as well when i shoot. Seems to do really good. A member posted an article here a few months back that i think you should check out. It has to do with no matter how good your hearing protection is the sound still vibrates through your body. Simply meaning that you can only reduce the db's by so much.....ill see if i can find the link the link here shortly...

I misspoke, he started a thread about it. No article, interesting info though.

Exactly, I am hearing impaired with 75% loss on one side and 50 on the other which translates to deaf and one ear & can't hear s*** out of the other. Meaning it is bilateral in nature. As bad as that sounds with the amount of loss in both ears but loud noises (traffic, Windows down, Harleys exhaust, shooting and powre lawn tools) actually HURT my ears so I double up with the highest noise reduction rating ear plugs and muffs.
Good luck with trying voice commands at the range it's gotta be hand signals.....:(
I have never had a problem with RSO's because I am always aware of what's going on around me. Once you loose a sense the others kick in to adapt.;)

Foam inserts work really well. You have to make sure you get them way the f in there though.. if I'm shooting big boomers and or shooting all day where there's a lot of gunfire, I'll wad them up good all pointy like and spit on them (gigity) and then stick them way in there.. they go in way easier. I always double up with some high-end overhead Peltor's to boot too.

My wife and I use the electronic Howard Leight ear pro. They allow us to communicate easily and safely.
If you have shooters across and extended area you can plug in radios to extend your range. My friends and I have had great success with this.

After using electronic muffs I'll never go back. The ability to talk without yelling or removing muffs is awesome. I have some cheap caldwell earmuffs I got on sale for $15 ea. They work great and for that price I bought a few pairs

Do you roll em between your fingers and slober all over em before you insert?.....I DO!!!
Reach around the back of your head with your other arm/hand and pull up on your ear as you're putting them in. It helps seat 'em better and people will ask wtf you're doing. :)
I wear electronic muffs and wonder how I got along without them.

My wife and I use the electronic Howard Leight ear pro. They allow us to communicate easily and safely.
If you have shooters across and extended area you can plug in radios to extend your range. My friends and I have had great success with this.
We have the same I love these things, and with foam on the larger rifles its very very easy on the ears,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top