JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I decided I was done with comcast and dealing with stupid high prices for crap service.

And I bought an antenna on amazon.

My problem is it gets all the local channels except channel 8, 10, and 12.
Was really only wanting 8.

Any ideas?
Do I need a boosted signal? Better antenna?
The one I have says it will do uhf and vhf.

Here is the one I have
Antennas Direct | ClearStream™ Eclipse Indoor TV Antenna

It's the $39 antenna.

I wouldn't buy an antenna that sticks to a window.
That kills your ability to aim it.
I have this cheesy antenna and it does amazingly well.
Amazon.com: Mediasonic Homeworx HW110AN Super Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - 25 Miles Range: Home Audio & Theater

I wouldn't recommend it, because there are much better antennas, but you can aim this one.
I have it on a 4' dowel and on top of a tall cabinet.
The higher, the better it seems.
You'll want to run a re-scan for channels after you fix your antenna issue.

A neighbor has a full size antenna in his attic and he is very happy.

I am getting the internet hooked back up with century link and I bought a roku player for streaming video.

I may end up sending this one back and ordering an attic antenna.

The problem with digital is it's either there or not. There is almost none of the old way. Where the picture would be bad and you could play with it to get it better. Now it's almost all or nothing. So chances are it's just a matter of how it's pointed. There has to pretty much be a line of sight almost. With a good HS net connection you can pretty much do without the cord now. If it wasn't for a couple women at the house who don't want to learn how I would have long ago gotten rid of the damn bill for TV.

i F-ing hate comcast.
yet i still pay for it.:rolleyes:

sorry im no help.
I hate the motherf%$#ers too but there the only ones cover Blazer games:mad:. Hate to support that prick Paul A but my mom ( 91 yrs old and a die hard BZ fan:p ) has gotta come first. Catch 22 where family trumps gun rights:D
On topic:D I put a HUGE antenna in my attic (6ft by 6ft) and it gets anything over the air.

So I decided I was done with comcast and dealing with stupid high prices for crap service.

And I bought an antenna on amazon.

My problem is it gets all the local channels except channel 8, 10, and 12.
Was really only wanting 8.

Any ideas?
Do I need a boosted signal? Better antenna?
The one I have says it will do uhf and vhf.

Here is the one I have
Antennas Direct | ClearStream™ Eclipse Indoor TV Antenna

It's the $39 antenna.

STAY STRONG BROTHER!! I'm going to be in your position, maybe. Aug is when our "super" 2 yr deal runs out with comcast. $163.00 for internet, phone and TV. Basically that's preferred HD package with Stars/encore, except they did away with encore, and a couple other channels in the last year or so.

I WANT TO BREAK THE HABIT!

I would think that spending a little more, ($39.00-$59.00?) for a GOOD antennae would be worthwhile. I'm also looking to go with Century Link for landline and internet. I have netflix currently, and would expand to others once I get the info on what they'll let me watch, for how much $$.

I'm so sick of searching though never ending re-runs of, Chrisley Knows Best, My 600# Life, Say yes to the Dress, spots talk, football during baseball season, baseball during football season etc, etc. Who watches this stuff?

[QUOTE="Mikej, post
I WANT TO BREAK THE HABIT!

I would think that spending a little more, ($39.00-$59.00?) for a GOOD antennae would be worthwhile. I'm also looking to go with Century Link for landline and internet. I have netflix currently, and would expand to others once I get the info on what they'll let me watch, for how much $$.

I'm so sick of searching though never ending re-runs of, Chrisley Knows Best, My 600# Life, Say yes to the Dress, spots talk, football during baseball season, baseball during football season etc, etc. Who watches this stuff?[/QUOTE]
Another thing for those thinking of cutting off cable is DVR. I long ago got spoiled with these. I have seen a couple times places saying it's quite simple to turn an old PC into one. So if you want to use over the air you can use a PC to DVR shows.

It's amazing how much crap I get done now that I gave up the boob tube 4 years ago. We do have Netflix and I antenna. Get the sling app also. 99% of my old shows, no more. No more news. Love my life.

We watch 99% of our TV thru Netflix and YouTube (sometimes Amazon prime since we pay for that anyway).

It all goes thru a 12 year old Mac and works great.

To make it a DVR you just need to buy an input / output card and slot it in and follow the directions (make sure you have ample storage or buy another hard drive). Instructions are all over the net so google it if your interested.

Use the directional map to figure out EXACTLY where to aim your antenna.

Antennas Direct | TV Transmitter Locator and Mapping Tool

TV signals are "Line of Sight" so you need to know where it's coming from to get a good signal. I wouldn't use a window antenna unless I had a window that faced the required direction.

However,... The stations you list are all VHF I believe, so plain old rabbit ears may help. And yes, you can hook up 2 antennas to the same TV or converter box. I have both and both work well.

But if an indoor still won't git 'er done, get an outdoor, or build one yourself. I did it, so anyone can.
I built a "Gray-Hoverman" UHF antenna, and added a pair of rabbit ears to it.
I get 50 channels from PDX and I'm 43 miles away.

You can do this.

ETA: Congrats on cutting the cord. :applause:

If the antenna thing doesn't totally work for you there are a few other options. We use our local library for cd/dvd for a lot of movies and television shows. In fact, they seem to get some of the stuff faster than Netflix does. And, it's free. If you can get Hoopla as an app for your smart TV or smart phone you can stream much of what the library has too, again for free. Also, I've been watching TubiTV, free but has some commercials but I don't mind that much. Plus the volume of the ads are lower than the actual movie I'm watching so that's nice. If you have wireless

Roku has an available app called Plex Media Server. It's available for a wide variety of devices too, not just Roku. Basically, whatever you can get on your computer or smart phone, can be played wirelessly to your TV. How Plex Works | Home Media Server | Media Manager and Roku Media Player | Roku Media Streaming | Plex

I have not used this, but people seem to like it.

Yeah, congrats on cutting the cord!:s0090:

Last Edited:
Yeah I'll do doing good when we get the internet back. Next week sometime. The DVR will be missed. We had a ton of ahows and movies for the kids on there and it just meant with the kids we could watch a show when the kids went to bed. But no big deal

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top