JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I'm selling a pistol and I have ads on NWFA, and two other classified sites. I get a phone call (call ended 5 minutes ago) from a guy in New Jersey, and he tells me he's looking to part out the pistol, etc., etc. Anyways, he mentions NJ's gun law, and that he has to apply for every handgun he acquires (claims a 4 month wait). He then causally says something about buying a gun from someone in another state, and that they "parted" the pistol out into 2 packages (no FFL; illegal). I guess I must've grunted weird, as he then changed the direction of a potential transaction. After complaining again about NJ, he tells me his cousin works for the FBI, and that he could set it up where his cousin would buy the gun and pick it up through his FFL, and then sell it to him when his NJ handgun paperwork goes through. If this isn't entrapment, I don't know what is.

What's even creepier: (1) he wouldn't let me off the phone; I try to be polite, and so I was waiting for the proper opportunity to end the call. I don't even know the guy, and he's acting like we're penpals; (2) with the whole FFL fees and shipping, I thought I would be nice (as I want to sell the pistol) and offer the gun for a little less. The guy rejected my lesser offer, says "money isn't a problem," etc. Who wouldn't take a lesser offer, being that the total cost of the gun would be higher with FFL fees and shipping cost?

Seriously, what is going on here? Has potential entrapment been a persistent thing in the firearms community? I just got into shooting last Summer, and have sold a few firearms since. For every one of the firearms I had for sale, I would receive weird responses that would attempt to push me towards illegality.

Ah come on. I'm sure no government agency would try to set up an otherwise law abiding citizent to commit a criminal act in order to use that as reason to further their agenda of gun control. That would be like saying the BATFE would set up a covert operation to sell guns to Mexico, then when finding out those particular firearms had been used in an act of violence (maybe even against one of our own law enforcement agents), they would use that as a excuse to enact more domestic gun control (such as restricitions on multiple firearms sells or ftf transactions) in order to stem the rising violence in Mexico

Ah come on. I'm sure no government agency would try to set up an otherwise law abiding citizent to commit a criminal act in order to use that as reason to further their agenda of gun control. That would be like saying the BATFE would set up a covert operation to sell guns to Mexico, then when finding out those particular firearms had been used in an act of violence (maybe even against one of our own law enforcement agents), they would use that as a excuse to enact more domestic gun control (such as restricitions on multiple firearms sells or ftf transactions) in order to stem the rising violence in Mexica

Remember the Saint Valentines day Massacre? People dressed up as police officers or were they, really playing dress up? It led to "the proposing in 1930 a machine-gun ban "copied word for word from the prohibition law," conceded that you have "to stretch the constitutional provisions to a considerable degree."

Eric holders fast n furious was more like the movie fast n furious, nothing more than another sequel.

And people wonder why someone would prefer face to face deals over shipping.

I thought the email i got the other day was wierd lol - I'd pass on the two party out of state bad deal.

From the information you provided, I might suggest never dealing with that person again. If the situation makes you feel uneasy, walk away. Actually run away quickly but you get the point.

Did his info show on your caller ID?

he called my cell, and his number showed up. i googled his phone number and it brought up a cleaning service. at the advice of a good friend of mine, i texted the following response:

"after calling my lawyer [which i put in there to sound authentic] for advice, i must decline any transaction that involves a third party that isn't an ffl. if you really want the pistol, i can write up a contract, sign it (send you a copy), leave the pistol with an ffl [i don't know if this is a possibility], and you can place a down payment that would be applied to the asking price. i'm not in a rush to sell the pistol, and if you are really wanting it i'm willing to hold it for you until you work out everything on your end. i know these are becoming rare [his opinion, not mine], and if it helps you out, i don't mind the wait."

i received no response, and i probably won't, which is odd if he's a real person looking for this particular pistol (cz52) as if i were in those shoes i would be appreciative and pursue the matter further (through legal means). what's messed up is the whole "fbi" thing, as he kept persisting with the argument that his cousin (i think he called him "dougie") would set everything right because his cousin could get around the wait/restrictions implemented by the state of new jersey.

i've had a few individuals try to push me into selling across the washington border, ftf, and another who verbally assaulted me when i requested that we show one another id at a transaction meet, but i never thought i would encounter something so absurd as the conversation from this afternoon.

From the information you provided, I might suggest never dealing with that person again. If the situation makes you feel uneasy, walk away. Actually run away quickly but you get the point.

craziest thing about the conversation: he never said his name and immediately took supremacy over the conversation as soon as i answered.

dude, the guy tweaked you the wrong way, such that everything about it seemed wrong, so you sent him a text him instead?

if it feels wrong...walk. there is no law that says you have to be polite about it, just hang up.

dude, the guy tweaked you the wrong way, such that everything about it seemed wrong, so you sent him a text him instead?

if it feels wrong...walk. there is no law that says you have to be polite about it, just hang up.

yeah, i sent the message as a means to end it. on the phone i mentioned that i wouldn't be opposed to placing the sale on hold until he got everything taken care of on his end. however, this was before he introduced his "cousin" into the deal. if he calls again, i won't answer, but i doubt i'll hear from him again. just freaky, that's all. i suppose that besides getting an opinion of the situation, i posted this thread as a "head's up" to others: if this was a fed sting, i'm sure others on here will be approached. watch out, people.

You cant be entrapped by a non LEO. Of course he could be a confidential informant, but then he wouldnt mention the FBI because that would spook most people. He was probably testing you to see how far you would go and then his next line would be- Ok, I am going to send you a check or money order double the amount( say $2,000), ship me out the gun and the overpayment amount of half overnight mail to the following address. This is a very typical Nigerian scam and is used on all kind of businesses. If you took credit cards they would give you a stolen number that would clear for 3 days then zap!The money order would be bogus or stolen. They are very smooth and can make you believe they love you more than your own mother. Nest time hang up, you never know what valuable info you divulged talking on the phone- age, kids, ssn?????

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top