JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW, I do understand where the OP is coming from. I've got a .30-06 and don't really feel the need for another hunting caliber, but I would LIKE another hunting caliber. I think his original post was asked a bit weird.

You must have missed his last post on the previous page:

Well, ladies and gents, I wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your input. There's certainly a lot of info in the replies here. I'm actually going to review them all.

I guess from the giddy up I should've stated that its not so much the 06 I don't care for. I am just thinking of a new rig, and wanted to get some info on what you all like or in some cases don't like.

Thanks to all of you again. I appreciate the help.

I'll post what I buy for those that are interested.

No, I saw that post, and I was just agreeing, I understand where he's coming from. I was going to reference it, but figured people would read the thread and understand my intention. Guess not. :p

Sorry, DieselScout, my apologies - I misread YOUR post. Your intention was pretty clear once I re-read.

06' is about the best overall round you can get really so unless you you simply want something different, id stay with the '06. I went with a 338-378 WM as my elk blaster mostly cause I got it cheap and I always wanted a mark 5. The bonus is the ability to really reach out and touch something.

06' is about the best overall round you can get really so unless you you simply want something different, id stay with the '06. I went with a 338-378 WM as my elk blaster mostly cause I got it cheap and I always wanted a mark 5. The bonus is the ability to really reach out and touch something.

He does, That is the whole point of the thread....Something (anything) OTHER than '06 or .270.

Actually, nope he didn't say he didn't want an -06, only the one he had was the only one he had ever had and was looking for advice. Not pointing this next comment at you jluck, but why the hell do some people come out of their chair and up on their elbows to slam away insults of their key board towards a man about his (supposed) lack of experience when all he did was ask for advice and state that he personally didn't care for the 270? Heck, I'm not the biggest .270 fan although I've owned a few. It's a good caliber, but far from the one, to end all, stop the press and quit making any future advancements cartridge that some tout it to be. Hell the .280 Remington is a superior round.

Interesting article. "Read an article by Jim Carmichael where he was having a custom rifle built...during a discussion Jack asked what the caliber would be. Wanting to incur his favor, Carmichael answered "270". Jack's reply...make it a "280", "it's a better caliber". This is an article in Outdoor Life...April 1987 if I remember correctly...Carmichael was writing on the virtues of the 280".

I hate the 270, for one reason because everyone seems to love it so much I figure I'll do my part and even things out a bit (I feel the same about .243)

This is another reason I can't stand .270, the .280 is clearly a better round but nowhere near as popular as the .270, I don't get it, and with an AI version of the .280 the .270 is major hind tit.

A .243? Make mine a 6mm Remington please, cause from an old hand loaders point of view, it ain't even close folks.

I will comfortably shoot my .308 at anything in North America. Not a trophy hunter, so I shoot for the neck. 175-185gr bullet 4-6 inches in front of the point of the shoulder pretty much ends any chasing, I've never had one not pile up. Even if I miss the spinal cord directly, the shock wave of the bullet will break the neck anyhow. If i'm 100 yards or closer, I put one in the head. I'm all about a quick kill. I hatce watching an animal get shot and run away to bleed out.

Yeah, I've got bullet drop, but it is plenty of cartridge for me, for anything.

And if you mainly hunt the western part of Oregon, a shot over 100 yards is fairly uncommon.
308 with Hornady SST BT will help with the drop, very accurate too. Got my elk with a single shot to the neck last fall.

I guess I will chime in . I have been exactly in your spot . I have had the great fortune to Hunt on a private ranch in eastern Oregon. I went the first year with a cheap tasco scoped S&W 1500 in 30-06 I used core lokt 150 grain bullets. My first elk I have ever shot was the second morning at dawn. I hit it low and quickly followed up with a second to the neck . The yardage was 220 . I was very frustrated because I was on a rest and none of those shots where were I had aimed . After inspecting I found that the projectile went right threw with minimal expansion ie damage . I was hunting with guys with 300win mags and other magnum cartridges . I went home and thought I should get another gun . I went to the store to buy one and got to talking to a old timer . He promptly told me to stop and listen. So I did he told me son you have all the rifle you will ever need . He said your problem is optics and bullet construction. I didn't have a ton of cash so I asked what he would suggest . He suggested a mil dot scope that is set up for my ballistics and 180grn nosler partitions. I still thought he was pulling my leg . All my buddy's swore by there magnums for elk . So I bit the bullet and bought a scope and the bullets . Went out and practiced . I was amazed at how well my old used gun now shot . I have never looked back . Yeah there are cartridges out there that shoot flatter. How ever once I knew what that bullet does and when, it made all the difference in the world. I have shoot elk and crushed them with one shot out to 400+ . I usually try to get closer but I enjoy long range shooting . Sorry that I got long winded . If I was you buy a gun with a great trigger and is comfortable for you to shoot . Most rifles shoot far better than the average shooter will realize . To me optics, bullet type as well as shot placement are the most important to me . Good luck

I guess I will chime in . I have been exactly in your spot . I have had the great fortune to Hunt on a private ranch in eastern Oregon. I went the first year with a cheap tasco scoped S&W 1500 in 30-06 I used core lokt 150 grain bullets. My first elk I have ever shot was the second morning at dawn. I hit it low and quickly followed up with a second to the neck . The yardage was 220 . I was very frustrated because I was on a rest and none of those shots where were I had aimed . After inspecting I found that the projectile went right threw with minimal expansion ie damage . I was hunting with guys with 300win mags and other magnum cartridges . I went home and thought I should get another gun . I went to the store to buy one and got to talking to a old timer . He promptly told me to stop and listen. So I did he told me son you have all the rifle you will ever need . He said your problem is optics and bullet construction. I didn't have a ton of cash so I asked what he would suggest . He suggested a mil dot scope that is set up for my ballistics and 180grn nosler partitions. I still thought he was pulling my leg . All my buddy's swore by there magnums for elk . So I bit the bullet and bought a scope and the bullets . Went out and practiced . I was amazed at how well my old used gun now shot . I have never looked back . Yeah there are cartridges out there that shoot flatter. How ever once I knew what that bullet does and when, it made all the difference in the world. I have shoot elk and crushed them with one shot out to 400+ . I usually try to get closer but I enjoy long range shooting . Sorry that I got long winded . If I was you buy a gun with a great trigger and is comfortable for you to shoot . Most rifles shoot far better than the average shooter will realize . To me optics, bullet type as well as shot placement are the most important to me . Good luck

Cringed when I saw "core lokt." Those are awful. Glad you had someone there to let you in on the real reason those shots sucked. Probably saved yourself a lot of cash.

Yes I was . I always listen to the guys that have been there and done it . I have no reason to try to bypass experience . I have found that is the best teacher. Anyways I hope it helps .

I hate the 270, for one reason because everyone seems to love it so much I figure I’ll do my part and even things out a bit (I feel the same about .243)

This is another reason I can’t stand .270, the .280 is clearly a better round but nowhere near as popular as the .270, I don’t get it, and with an AI version of the .280 the .270 is major hind tit.
Or, if you prefer a short action, you could go with the .280 A.I. ballistic twin, the .270WSM. I did.

My dad hunted all the years I can remember with a 300 magnum an got some nice elk. When I was an infant and before my birth he also took some with a 30-40 Krag with a squared off penny for a front sight. I wish that gun was still in the family.

Brutus out

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR