JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shoot 7mm win mag fo deer and elk. Small projectile doesn't hamburger a deer but will whip on an elk. I shoot he 7mm because i do along on long range stuff and it shoots flat. Its heavey to carry thought so sling choise is importat.

If i'm hunting western Oregon i still use the 7mm for elk but like a small deer gun.

If I could only have one rifle it would be a 30-06 - if I could have two it would be a 9.3X62 and a 7X57 mauser both on FN actions. I have all three plus many more. I think the 7X57 on a good action is a very good choice for rifle hunting deer and could even be used on elk. This is like religion - what do you beleive in and live with it.

James Ruby

Quote "Been out there and seen guys carrying .338's for deer and thought to myself "what the hell?" Way too much in my opinion".

If I had to pick something other than .270 or 30-06, I would go .300 win mag. With the right load those things are the perfect balance of power and long range accuracy.[/QUOTE]

Like you said about shot placement, the same should be said about the .338, hit em through the wind maker. And someone above pointed out the .280! Fine cartridge, one of the best ever made and if it wasn't for Jack O'Conner (who later in life admitted he was paid to slant to the .270) the .280 would have one hell of a following. The same can be said for the 6mm Remington. Way out front of the .243 from an old hand loaders point of view, but the designation of a "MM" was too European for most when it was hatched so folks that didn't know swung to the .243. I can tell you this from experience, the 6MM rem is deadly on both Elk and deer, but again placement is critical. I've killed many deer with a .338 that showed very little damage when hit right. But then again, what the heck do I know, I kill elk with a Bow now,,,, go figure

I have done a bit of long range hunting, mostly over in the Imnaha unit. And by long range I am talking from 800-1500 meters.

First is a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm STW with a 30" Pac Nor barrel and an Ops Inc muzzle break, Nightforce optic. Using Sierra 175 grain
Second for even longer shots I have a Rem 700 in 338 Lapua, 30" Pac Nor and also a Ops Inc break. Leupold long range optics, Using Sierra 300 grain match kings

Both rifles you can shoot all day, with no sore shoulder.

Awhile back I posted all the AI rounds he touched, the man was a genius. Another round not mentioned, the 25-06, what a shooter. But then again Ackerly touched on the .25 Nieder also. The 25-06 is one of the deadliest long range cartridges ever created. 87 grain slugs at 3500 fps, and 120's at 3000, again dead is dead.

Folks, we could keep going all week like this as the sub asked that age old question, which one and why? (See what you started) He won't go wrong with the -06 period. Action, length and make are more important. Agreed?:s0093:

Another round not mentioned, the 25-06, what a shooter. But then again Ackerly touched on the .25 Nieder also. The 25-06 is one of the deadliest long range cartridges ever created. 87 grain slugs at 3500 fps, and 120's at 3000, again dead is dead.

Folks, we could keep going all week like this as the sub asked that age old question, which one and why? (See what you started) He won't go wrong with the -06 period. Action, length and make are more important. Agreed?:s0093:

Please see my post on page 2 :)

Last Edited:
OP, I will try to offer a constructive answer.

I to have hunted with my '06 for many years with great success BUT I was ready for a change for a long range hunting and bench rifle....And hell....It is OK not to act like sheep and only use the "good Ole calibers,Right?

Take a long look at the Remington ultra mags.Especially the 7MM RUM, Great ballistics for the same reason 7 rem mag shoots flat,just better. It's all about ballistic coefficient of the projectile and simple science.

I went with the 300 RUM just because a great deal dropped in my lap. My Trijicon 5-20 will be here tomorrow....:s0155:

You know, there is nothing wrong with another rifle in another caliber. I remember a season when I slipped and fell, hit my scope on a log. My trusty 30-06 could be trusted no more. I went home and grabbed the .338 win mag, and proceeded to pursue my deer. Your 30-06 is good enough, don't let your buddies tell you different. But if you want another toy, well I sure understand. Just know this, whatever cannon you choose, if that projectile hits its target while still traveling at a very high velocity, hydrostatic shock will destroy a lot of prime meat. 300 win mags are for long range work, while the 30-06 in the hands of even a better than average shooter will do the job well beyond their shooting ability. If you are not schooled in the art of long range shooting, all a magnum gets you is 50-60 more yards point blank range. Beyond that you need to be able to accurately judge range and know the ballistics of what you are shooting. That is all fun stuff, and if that's your bag, go for it. Just remember, this kind of thinking will probably not stop with just one more rifle.

Well, ladies and gents, I wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your input. There's certainly a lot of info in the replies here. I'm actually going to review them all.

I guess from the giddy up I should've stated that its not so much the 06 I don't care for. I am just thinking of a new rig, and wanted to get some info on what you all like or in some cases don't like.

Thanks to all of you again. I appreciate the help.

I'll post what I buy for those that are interested.

That's a whole 'nuther can of worms, and you can now expect ten pages or so of how much better rifle "A" is than rifle "B". Me? I'm kind of partial to the Remchesavage, but them Brugowntikka's are pretty sweet, too! :s0114:

Of course there's bound to be someone here who has shot a .22 a quarter mile and hits the bullseye every shot.

Yes, but I've only done it 3 times.

Please don't comment on another mans hunting experience or ability unless you know him personally. I don't know you and wouldn't comment on your shooting ability if you asked for advise about what caliber to buy.

This thread seems to be just like the others where someone asks the same question. No two answers are the same and the OP's hunting ability is always questioned. It does make for good reading. ;)

does anyone have any hair left from scratching their head? If the two most effective and popular rounds have been discounted then the obvious choice would be 458 LOTT or maybe a rocket lancher. Personally I'd go with the rocket launcher for the fun factor.

Personally I'd go with the rocket launcher for the fun factor.

You want fun factor?
ImageC.jpg

FWIW, I do understand where the OP is coming from. I've got a .30-06 and don't really feel the need for another hunting caliber, but I would LIKE another hunting caliber. I think his original post was asked a bit weird.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews