JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Edit: I just picked up a rcbs vibratory case cleaner. I am looking at purchasing some lyman tufnut for my first media purchase. Any advice on other media options, additives or techniques would be appreciated. I am not concerned with having that new super polished brass look. I just want clean cases that are ready load with out additional cleaning.

Last Edited:
Edit: I just picked up a rcbs vibratory case cleaner. I am looking at purchasing some lyman tufnut for my first media purchase. Any advice on other media options, additives or techniques would be appreciated. I am not concerned with having that new super polished brass look. I just want clean cases that are ready load with out additional cleaning.
A little bit of "new finish" (as seen on tv) and change your media more frequent than I do!

I long favored coarse walnut shell & a squirt of Dillon's blue stuff or the less thick orange Franklin. Then went to RCBS ceramic powder infusion which was faster but raised concerns about lungs.
Have stepped away from cob media, even the jeweler's rouge enhance stuff.
You'll probably fine your own favorite as there's tons of recipes.
I run cases from 15 minutes to a couple hours in Lyman turbo, now approaching 40th season.

Hope you like red ;) Tufnut works really well all by itself with nothing added. The down side is it will color your tumbler, your hands, and leave a red tint on your finished rounds. I have 2 tumblers, I keep corn in the Lyman and walnut in the Dillon with a bit of NuFinish. If you want to go cheap on media, Harbor Freight sells a 25# box of walnut for about 20 bucks. A bit dusty but works great.

Hope you like red ;) Tufnut works really well all by itself with nothing added. The down side is it will color your tumbler, your hands, and leave a red tint on your finished rounds. I have 2 tumblers, I keep corn in the Lyman and walnut in the Dillon with a bit of NuFinish. If you want to go cheap on media, Harbor Freight sells a 25# box of walnut for about 20 bucks. A bit dusty but works great.
Thanks for the tip on HF. That price is amazing and I can get another free flashlight:) Where do you get Nufinish locally?

I long favored coarse walnut shell & a squirt of Dillon's blue stuff or the less thick orange Franklin. Then went to RCBS ceramic powder infusion which was faster but raised concerns about lungs.
Have stepped away from cob media, even the jeweler's rouge enhance stuff.
You'll probably fine your own favorite as there's tons of recipes.
I run cases from 15 minutes to a couple hours in Lyman turbo, now approaching 40th season.
Dang, 40 seasons. How many machines have you gone through?

I buy walnut from pet smart/petco. It's labeled for bird litter but is cheap for what you get. I have heard the same on the nu-finish, but haven't been able to find it locally either.

37B5A24A-4870-457F-B574-8D5B37670760.jpeg

FYI. Harbor freight sells a plastic tumbling media in various "grits" and it can be used wet or dry and is super easy to clean up after use. The media will also not stick or plug up cases, so thats not a concern! I find using it wet with a bit of Awesome from the dollar store diluted with water 50/50 seems to be the sweet spot!:) sure does a good job amd keeps the tumbler clean inside as well!
Can also use with the Stainless pins, its easy to separate out with a grid strainer!

FYI. Harbor freight sells a plastic tumbling media in various "grits" and it can be used wet or dry and is super easy to clean up after use. The media will also not stick or plug up cases, so thats not a concern! I find using it wet with a bit of Awesome from the dollar store diluted with water 50/50 seems to be the sweet spot!:) sure does a good job amd keeps the tumbler clean inside as well!
Can also use with the Stainless pins, its easy to separate out with a grid strainer!
The rcbs unit is a vibrating bowl style. Will stainless pins work well in those?

Wait, your supposed to change the media? Heck I've been running the same walnut media for 30 years and the original Lyman tumbler... Just keep using Mother's Aluminum Wheel Polish...

Now I'm thinking I need to refresh my media and switch to NuFinish...

NuFinish should be available wherever auto polish is sold.

Didn't think pins would work in a vibratory bowl cleaner, now you have me thinking I need to try this too.

Been considering going with the Franlink Arsenal wet system, cause I like my brass clean, like wet process clean...

Seems to work beautifully in my Lyman horizontal bowl tumbler, especially wet! I haven't used a dry media since the switch to the pins! WAY less mess, dust, and clean up! Quick rinse in warm water, and air dry in the sun ( OryGun, what sun!) and your good to go!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top