Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need advice on best choices in a revolver that has the .22lr AND .22Mag Cylinders

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by PolishedBrass, Oct 9, 2011.

1. PolishedBrass

PolishedBrass Gresham, Oregon Active Member

I figured this was the best place to ask.

I am not sure how many choices there are but I am looking for a solid build quality 4-6" revolver that is accurate, single/double action.

What is available out there in this type of combo?

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I just saw one yesterday for about $450
    Taurus is making a double action revolver that you can change the cylinder out and shoot LR or Mags

Taurus 2011 What's New Catalog
    Taurus 2011 What's New Catalog

Good luck finding one.

But if you want the best one out there and can handle just single action,the Ruger Single Six is it.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Charter makes a nice double action called the Pathfinder in 4" or 5" .22LR or .22Mag

as well as a 4" stainless model in .22LR and .22mag

Charter Pathfinder Combo #62240

Retail on them looks to be between $430 and 490.00 depending on which dealer you have order it. Since I have no clue where in Oregon you are hard to advise who has the better price.

You can go to http://www.galleryofguns.com/default.aspx use the GUN GENIE to find a dealer close to you and see what they would charge. I find it's slightly cheaper to have the the dealer order it then you ordering it through the mail. As they usually don't charge the shipping to their shop.

4. gearchecker

gearchecker Kootenai County, Idaho Member

You can get a Heritage Rough rider S/A revolver for around $200+/- new with both cylinders and a 6" barrel. BIG R carries them as a standard stock item.
    These pistols also have fully adjustable rear sights for windage and elevation.

There is an old revolver called an EASA that has both cylinders too. It's the earlier version of the Rough Rider before they sold out to Heritage.
    I bought one in like new condition with both cylinders for $80. Look on gunbroker.com for the Rough Rider.
    There is currrently a seller that has a Buy it now price of $175 +$30 shipping. For $205 you won't go wrong
    HERITAGE Rough Rider RR22MB6 22/22M 6.5 BL : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

I love shooting the .22 magnum and my wife like the .22 LR. It's great to have one pistol to serve both of us.

Regards,
    Gearchecker

5. mjbskwim

That one is aptly maned to. No comparison the the Ruger Single Six in quality

6. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

What he said for a SA. I believe that Ruger just released a SP101 in 22lr. Maybe a conversion kit is next.
    22=fun and cheap shooting

7. gearchecker

gearchecker Kootenai County, Idaho Member

I'll agree that the single six is at the top of the quality list. Are they available as a conversion model between LR and Magnum?

8. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Ruger Single Six Convertible. Was my first gun and will always be one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with one of these.

DSC_5838.jpg

9. mjbskwim

Most of the time they come as a kit with both cylinders.At least most I have seen

10. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

BillGabby1 likes this.
  11. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Bought a new Ruger single six in '87 for $165 and still have it, also have a stainless one.Cant go wrong with them.

BillGabby1 likes this.
  12. BillGabby1

BillGabby1 Southern Oregon Active Member

Stick with one of the better manufacturers and stay away from the cheapies you get what you pay for. The Charter Arms combo is a quality USA made revolver and isn't really expensive, Taurus would be a second to that.Anything Ruger is top quality, I've owned a bunch of single sixes over the years and never had a lick of trouble from any of them. You did specify Single and Double action so stick with those made in the US
    Some are Hecho in FLA by Cubanos.
    You pays your money and takes your chances.
    Bill

I have since discovered Charter Arms is no longer listing the long barreled convertible revolvers any more so if you want one you are going to have to search for them online used or at least pre owned. All they are showing at their website, is a SS 2" in one or the other chambering. Sorry!
    Bill

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  13. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
    :s0095:

jessieD likes this.
  14. BillGabby1

Yeah I didn't see that it was a dead one until after I posted to it. OH well maybe someone will read it that needs the information.
    Gabby

15. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

No harm, no foul. :D

16. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Heritage rough rider or Taurus are both very budget friendly and work well.

17. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You could buy .22lr off the shelf back in 2011.

clearconscience likes this.
  18. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

I had a Ruger single Six and found it to be terribly inaccurate even after a trip back to Ruger.

Buy two guns.

19. BillGabby1

My experience with the Heritage Rough rider was well ROUGH I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, I'd taken it in a trade and soon figured out why it was such an easy trade to make. Pretty much on the same order as the Phoenix.
    Yes I've had both.
    Again you get what you pay for.
    I've also had several of the Ruger single sixes over the years and have never had a problem with any of them except keeping my hands on them, I wish I still would have them all.
    Gabby

20. BillGabby1

Looks like this thread is off and running again. LOL
    Gabby aka Bill
    I like Gabby because that's what I do.