JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone hunt with one of these? I just picked one up and was hoping to use it for deer or elk or cougar. It's a 24" smoothbore non-ported barrel with rifle sights and for use with foster type slugs, not sabots.

Two questions

1. What is the accuracy at 100 yards or less?
2. What shells have you had the best accuracy with?

Also, if you have pics or your kills and how much damage is done to the meat, that would be great info to consider.

Thanks.

100 yards maximum, my accuracy at 50 - 75 yards is around 3". not a target gun but entirely suitable for hunting. I wouldn't reccomend going out to 100 yards if it can be helped, unless you want to chase down wounded game.

Ok. That's what I've been reading. 3" is quite a spread. But I've also learned that a 73 caliber "bullet" also drops them in their tracks. I'll keep it to 75 or less. Thanks.

I can't imagine hunting with a shotgun and a slug unless I was forced to either by law or necessity. Depending on where you are hunting having to limit your distance to 75 yards or less will limit the shots you may be able to take. I see your are in Redmond so if you have any experience hunting in the 'East' then you know shots taken can be far in excess of that. I am aware of the statistics on average game kill distances but I would not want a 75 yard limitation. That is the approximate length of my driveway and that's not much distance.

I can't imagine hunting with a shotgun and a slug unless I was forced to either by law or necessity. Depending on where you are hunting having to limit your distance to 75 yards or less will limit the shots you may be able to take. I see your are in Redmond so if you have any experience hunting in the 'East' then you know shots taken can be far in excess of that. I am aware of the statistics on average game kill distances but I would not want a 75 yard limitation. That is the approximate length of my driveway and that's not much distance.

Yes I've taken shot well in access of that. I guess that's why I'm looking at using a shotgun. The challenge of limiting your shots to 75 or less seems very challenging. Truth be told I've never had a kill with a shotgun so looking to increase my skill set in that area. Though it may not be a necessity now, you don't know what the future holds. It's a skill set all hunters should know or strive to learn. I love stalking game, figured this would add a new perspective to that.

figured this would add a new perspective to that.
Good answer - and I understand completely being a Black Powder hunter as well as having hunted jackrabbits with a bow. My next adventure will be jackrabbits, and maybe squirrels with my 2" Taurus - but with the way it shoots that may not be much of a challenge.

I've killed a few elk with smoothbore single shot rifles and a rifled slug gun as well. The 2 elk on the right were killed with smooth bore shotguns and 1 oz winchester super X's I have never had a 1 shot kill with a elk vs slug the least is 2 and the most is 5 I put up a picture of slugs I've recovered first from left to right is a solid copper sabot 2nd is a winchester super X cheap 2 3/4 and 3rd is a remington 3in mag I have a few more recovered slugs but I did'nt feel like digging around for them all shots were inside of 20yrds I live in a modern firearm restricted unit so that's why I pack a shotgun around but I purchased a revolver this year so I hope to put down an elk with it this year.
Good luck Jon

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top