JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My neighbor had a tree taken out and in return for giving the tree service better access through my backyard he let me keep the firewood.

I have rented power splitters before, they run $65 for a full day, but I am considering buying a manual hydraulic splitter instead for around $120. My question is....Will a 10-ton manual splitter work on logs this size? I have about 30 rounds to cut thru. I know the manual would be a lot slower, but I'm in no big rush to get all these split and if I pay $65 to rent a power splitter I will have to set aside a whole day and do them all at once. Opinions and advice would be appreciated. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412889386.216970.jpg

you want a slow way to split wood thats only slightly faster than paint drying??? go with the hand operated log splitter.

Rent, buy or get used to manual labor cause even the old splittin maul is faster than a hydraulic one

you want a slow way to split wood thats only slightly faster than paint drying??? go with the hand operated log splitter.

Rent, buy or get used to manual labor cause even the old splittin maul is faster than a hydraulic one
For me, speed is not the issue. The only reason I would be in a hurry is if I were renting a power splitter by the hour or by the day.

I own a maul, a sledgehammer and a wedge. I also have back and shoulder issues from 27 years of humping freight off of a UPS truck, so I try to keep the use of a maul to a minimum. 10 years ago I would have had no problem busting those up with a maul but now I have to find a way to work smarter not harder.

These rounds are big and green and heavy and many of them have knots. I don't have a problem with going slow, as long as I know that a manual splitter will actually work on the bigger rounds. I don't want to spend $125 or more on a tool that is incapable of doing the job.

10 tons isnt on the high end of splittin capacities but i suppose it will do, some or most of the time. Unsure of the model your looking at but some just use a standard bottle jack and you can always up the bottlejack capacity but keep in mind the rest of the splitter may only handle the original designed capacity

Sounds like you are a regular wood user so why not buy a splitter?? if cost is the issue figure out how to split the cost with another person or two. Maybe let a kid split some extra wood and split the profits to pay for the splitter, be creative. Sounds like mechanical splitting is your only real option and i would highly recommend a QUALITY ( read NOT harbor freight) splitter that will meet your needs

Sounds to me like you would be far better off hiring a kid for a day for $80 and getting it stacked too. I have seen the manual pump splitters work, They are not much of an improvement over a wedge and a maul

as long as I know that a manual splitter will actually work on the bigger rounds.
Well there is no denying it will be slow but should not be a problem on the rounds in the picture but just to be sure take the one the maul is laying against with you to try it out before you buy it. Another question is are you planning on using the splitter in the future? IF not rent the power one for $65 and it should not take anywhere near all day to split 30 rounds - I am seeing a few hours at the most with a power splitter - even moving slowly. Or hire a local kid you can trust to split them for $50 - and he can take all the time he wants.

For me, speed is not the issue. The only reason I would be in a hurry is if I were renting a power splitter by the hour or by the day.

I own a maul, a sledgehammer and a wedge. I also have back and shoulder issues from 27 years of humping freight off of a UPS truck, so I try to keep the use of a maul to a minimum. 10 years ago I would have had no problem busting those up with a maul but now I have to find a way to work smarter not harder.

These rounds are big and green and heavy and many of them have knots. I don't have a problem with going slow, as long as I know that a manual splitter will actually work on the bigger rounds. I don't want to spend $125 or more on a tool that is incapable of doing the job.

If you have shoulder issues I wouldn't recommend the manual log splitter... we had one at a place I used to work that we modified into a large reloading press for resizing large caliber shells, the HFT one just has a 10 ton bottle jack and two handles. It's a lot of manual work, certainly less than swinging a hammer manually, but much less than loading up the logs and pressing buttons. You also have to move the stop around. It does work, but it's kinda've a kludge to use. It's like trying to cut 2x4's with a coping saw... yea you can do it, but not the greatest tool for the job.

Personally... if you're not picky, I would just use a chain saw.

I used to cut firewood for a living. I left a lot of wood in the woods that looked just like your rounds and for a good reason. It's just not worth the effort.
I would sell that pile on Craigslist for a few bucks, and let the next guy whack away at it.

For cherry wood, run a groove with a chainsaw through the bark lengthwise (both sides) down the log, or else the bark will act like a tight girdle when splitting.

How much wood is there ? Does the cost meet the rental cost to make it worth it. If you are going to split a couple cords, definitely, Half a cord, and no way. Wish I still had mine, I would just let you use it.
Had a good on the farm but sold when we moved back to town and retired. Watch the ads, sometimes you can find a good used one for a couple hundred.

Our Harbor Freight 10-ton manual hydraulic does not handle "big/heavy/knotty" at all. The best it does is begin the split so I can finish up with a maul and wedge. If I were to do it over I would save my $99 (on sale), save up the hard to split stuff, and rent a real splitter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top