JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A good friend has asked me to help him upgrade his failing AC and furnace with a more modern system. Problem is, I know jacksquat about them😂.
His 1996- built home had a meltdown of the AC system during last summer's unbearable heat, and he's decided to not go through that again.
Does anyone here have experience with these systems? Any advice on what he should look for, or stay away from? He knows it will be big $$, but he's a "buy once cry once" guy so he'd like to do it right.
Thanks fellas…

Ductless heat pumps are the most cost-efficient source of heat, are significantly more environmentally friendly than gas-powered furnaces, and the fact that they double as air conditioning is the cherry on top. As we get smokier summers, they are also better than traditional HVAC since they don't utilize outside air and have good filtration. They don't work when the power goes out. I have installed heat pumps in both the homes that I've owned over the years, great investment. Some of the tax incentives that were previously available have gone away, but there are still rebates available to help offset cost. If you or your friend are fairly skilled handypeople, The Heatpump Store even offers a DIY installation option where you do much of the installation work yourself and then have one of their techs come out at the end to inspect your work, charge the refrigerant lines, and turn on the machine for the first time. I did that on the second house, saved about a grand in installation costs.

Even though the equipment has 10+ year manufacturers warranty, I have learned the hard way that the warranties are not transferable (for instance if you sell your house).

I recommend starting your inquiry at https://theheatpumpstore.com/ although I also recommend shopping around and getting comparisons for equipment cost/installation.

Ductless heat pumps are the most cost-efficient source of heat, are significantly more environmentally friendly than gas-powered furnaces, and the fact that they double as air conditioning is the cherry on top. As we get smokier summers, they are also better than traditional HVAC since they don't utilize outside air and have good filtration. They don't work when the power goes out. I have installed heat pumps in both the homes that I've owned over the years, great investment. Some of the tax incentives that were previously available have gone away, but there are still rebates available to help offset cost. If you or your friend are fairly skilled handypeople, The Heatpump Store even offers a DIY installation option where you do much of the installation work yourself and then have one of their techs come out at the end to inspect your work, charge the refrigerant lines, and turn on the machine for the first time. I did that on the second house, saved about a grand in installation costs.

Even though the equipment has 10+ year manufacturers warranty, I have learned the hard way that the warranties are not transferable (for instance if you sell your house).

I recommend starting your inquiry at https://theheatpumpstore.com/ although I also recommend shopping around and getting comparisons for equipment cost/installation.
Tremendously helpful!
Thank you for taking the time

I have a heat pump system that was installed eleven years ago. Last year I had both the fan motor on the outside unit and the main fan motor on the indoor unit fail. I discovered that these motors are pretty easy to remove and replace. The outdoor motor was straightforward, but the variable-speed indoor motor (with intregal variable frequency drive electronics) was superceded and awfully expensive. After some research, I was able to get a programmable generic fan motor and remote controller for about half the cost. The additional benefit of this is that if either the motor or controller goes out, you only have to replace that particular part.

My point is that heat pumps can be repaired more easily than you might think. My research showed that my old unit was almost as efficient as a new replacement, so it made sense to repair. An older unit probably would not have been worth fixing. Heat pump efficiency took a jump in the 2000's. If your unit has variable-speed motors, it is probably worth fixing.

Air-to-air heat pumps are great in warmer climates, but less effective when it gets cold. They have become better at cold-weather heat output, but still need an alternative heat source when it is near or below freezing. A "ground-source" unit uses coolant circulated through the ground instead of air. In Western Oregon, the ground stays about 50 degrees F. year round, which is very good for both heating and cooling. The downside is that it is much more expensive to install. If you are intending to keep your house for 20+ years, it pencils out.

I'm in Washington, we had to replace our old furnace/AC unit about three years ago. The new heat pump cost about ten grand, but we got a $1200 rebate from PG&E and our light bill has literally been cut in half.

I have an air to air heat pump/ductless a/c system here in the high desert. The heat works okay, though when the temps start getting into the teens to below zeros, the system goes into defrost cycle more than actually pumping heat. The a/c is okay, but when it's 95-105 outside, it struggles to keep it under 75-80 inside. Overall, I'm glad I have it, but I wish it was better.

Last Sept I replaced my heat pump. It has an electric heating element that automatically kicks on when it gets too cold for it to keep up. It didn't come on once over the winter and temps got several degrees below zero a couple times. Power bills have been averaging about $100/month lower than the old unit.

Do a load calculation to size the equipment properly.
If it's undersized it will never fulfill expectations. If its oversized, it can be off more than it is on, which can be hard on some parts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top