JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just purchased new Tikka T3X Ultra-Lite True Timber Strata in .300 Win Mag and I will use my Vortex Viper HS-T Scope on it. The scope is 30mm tube, so I was wondering what would be better: to buy just rings and directly install them on the receiver, or to go with a rail and install the scope rings on a rail (e.g. Picatinny rail)? Considering that the rifle is very light and it is in .300 Win Mag (hard-hitting calibre), I am expecting significant recoil (my version of the rifle is without a muzzle-brake), so I am thinking a rail might be a better option, but would love an opinion of those who shoot .300 Win Mag and have a rifle with a similar weight. Keep in mind that I do not hunt and I target shoot about twice a week.

Cheers,

Dan

I have a Tikka T3x in 300wm as well. I went with the rail simply because of the ease in removing and placing different scopes. Currently I have a Leupold Mark 5 5-25 on it which is a 35mm tube. If you're going to stick to only one scope/tube size I would mount the rings directly to the action. Less points of failures (screws coming loose/off centered machining etc.). Either will work for you. Congrats on the purchase!

I have a Tikka T3x in 300wm as well. I went with the rail simply because of the ease in removing and placing different scopes. Currently I have a Leupold Mark 5 5-25 on it which is a 35mm tube. If you're going to stick to only one scope/tube size I would mount the rings directly to the action. Less points of failures (screws coming loose/off centered machining etc.). Either will work for you. Congrats on the purchase!
Thank you very much for your advice. I saw online that some people claim that rail is better for stronger calibers such as .300 Win Mag, but I am relatively new to scopes and do not have experience with scopes on high-power caliber rifles. Scope works well on my .308 Win rifle directly mounted.

How far are you going to be shooting out to? The rail (depending on MOA) will give you more adjustment for elevation. But that's if you are pushing out some serious distance. I think you should be ok with the setup you got.

I'd put a 20MOA rail on it and call it good. Gives you room to stretch that guy out if you want to. :)

How far are you going to be shooting out to? The rail (depending on MOA) will give you more adjustment for elevation. But that's if you are pushing out some serious distance. I think you should be ok with the setup you got.
Max 300 yards. For now I have no rings at all. Will go to a couple of gun stores after work to see if they got some options. Since my scope is 50mm front objective, I will probably need MEDIUM size. If I do not find anything locally, I will go online and order some. Seems that accessories for Tikka T3x are easy to find online. I hope to be able to shoot the Tikka this weekend since I already found 120 rounds of factory-loaded match-grade .300 Win Mag ammo for $2.5 per round.

Max 300 yards. For now I have no rings at all. Will go to a couple of gun stores after work to see if they got some options. Since my scope is 50mm front objective, I will probably need MEDIUM size. If I do not find anything locally, I will go online and order some. Seems that accessories for Tikka T3x are easy to find online. I hope to be able to shoot the Tikka this weekend since I already found 120 rounds of factory-loaded match-grade .300 Win Mag ammo for $2.5 per round.
well if you found the ammo that's the hardest part. Haha

Gun stores should permanently ban me, so I do not spend all the money. I went to Cabela's to pick up my Tikka and in the process I spent almost $200 for scope mount. I got Leupold Picatinny rail and Warne 30mm rings (Medium hight). I tried to find rings only and spend up to $100 box, but they only had in stock the rail/ring combo. I am not the most patient guy around, so I was not patient enough to go online and order the rings and pay 1/3 of the price I spent. In the process of opening Picatinny rail's retail box, I managed to drop one of the screws and now can't find it. My gun-room is a mess and I guess I better give it some cleaning. On the same working desk I got many gun parts and accessories as well as camera and toy car parts. Sometime I wonder how I assembly my guns, cameras, lenses and toys with all the parts on the same desk, but somehow I do it.

I am all set now. I installed Leupold 20MOA picatinny rail and Warne rings. I like that I can quickly remove the scope and put it back in the same position with these rings. The only mistake I made is I installed wrong scope. I planned to install Vortex Viper HS-T that is currently on my Browning X-Bolt, but I installed a cheap BSA 4-14x44 scope. I will try this scope on the Tikka and see how I like it. I am too lazy to switch scopes now.

Unless you're shooting out past 800 yards, that -20 base will do nothing for you but make your zero at the far end of the adjustment range. Warne makes Maxima rings that clamp on the integral rail and have a post that seats in two holes in the top of the receiver. That wouldn't go nowhere and would have cost $60. I like a trimmer looking setup, so I use Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and rings that cost about $60 as well. I've also used Talley, but I get paranoid about heavy scopes on light rifles chambered in hard kickers.

Seems that the combo that I put works well for me. I made it to a shooting range this evening before they closed and was able to sight-in the rifle/scope and take few shots. Considering that I paid the BSA scope only $75 (got it locally through craigslist), I was very happy with the results. Honestly, I did not notice and difference between Vortex Viper HS-T that is currently on my Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (.308 Win) and this cheap BSA scope except that the Vortex scope can zoom-in 24x and BSA 14x. However, at 100 yards I zoom-in 12x max, so I might even sell my Vortex and get another same BSA optics. Here is a pic of 4 shots I took after sighting-in. 4 shots grouped just under 1 MOA, and if I remove the outliner (sucker) it would be about 1/2 MOA.

20210401_190207.jpg

Seems that the combo that I put works well for me. I made it to a shooting range this evening before they closed and was able to sight-in the rifle/scope and take few shots. Considering that I paid the BSA scope only $75 (got it locally through craigslist), I was very happy with the results. Honestly, I did not notice and difference between Vortex Viper HS-T that is currently on my Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (.308 Win) and this cheap BSA scope except that the Vortex scope can zoom-in 24x and BSA 14x. However, at 100 yards I zoom-in 12x max, so I might even sell my Vortex and get another same BSA optics. Here is a pic of 4 shots I took after sighting-in. 4 shots grouped just under 1 MOA, and if I remove the outliner (sucker) it would be about 1/2 MOA.

View attachment 852505

The BSA might be ok now, but I'm not sure how durable it will be. I do think you're over scoped at 24x unless you're shooting 1000+ yards. If 300 yards is the max, you'd be ok with a scope with half or even a third as much magnification (and weight).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top