JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I already have a monitored security system for my house, but would like to get some recording motion activated cameras for the exterior. Can any of you security experts tell me where to start with this DIY project?

Thanks

Budget? How many cameras? Dome/ext cameras or point out a window? Fixed cameras or PTZ - pan tilt zoom? Resolution - HD? 720p - 1080p. All wireless? Monitor remotely via internet to PC/mobile? Color? Night/IR leds?
Sound wanted? Central DVR or just record to PC (if one or two cameras).

If very basic, a game camera with an SD card, IR leds, motion detect, $175 or so would probably work. ScoutGuard SG560 8MHD 8MP 720P HD Video Long Range Hunting Scouting Game Camera | eBay

Anything less than 720p resolution and you won't be able to ID faces, etc.

I'm thinking 4 exterior cameras, fixed is ok, wireless, no need to connect to mobile. Just a monitor and recording device, and I could spend, say, $500.00ish. Looking for motion activated lights along woth them.

A lot of options in that price range. In any case, you'll need to get power to the cameras (ac somewhere nearby to run 12v to the cameras).

4 camera dvr outdoor wireless | eBay

The infrared may give the night/light coverage you need or you can always add motion sensing lights.

If you have a quality PC that is on 24/7 you can use it as the DVR, or get one with a dedicated DVR.

This option has your PC do the Jpeg/video storage: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Se...eillance_Security_Systems&hash=item35c6af9a07

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top