JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got my first rifle. Ruger 10/22 takedown. Will likely be "the" pinker for me and my boys so would like to adjust some things: Trigger, Bolt release, Bolt buffer, etc. maybe thread the barrel too.

Who do you trust? What mods would you do?

Thanks. I'm inexperienced with rifles and could use some guidance.

These are all things that are VERY easy to do at home. So I would say you are the best person to trust. It will also give you a better understanding of the workings of your guns.

There are plenty of VERY easy to follow directions and videos online.

Hi MacDanny,
I have DVDs and Know how in working on the 10/22 If you would like to came by PM me. We may live next door to each other as I live on SE 172nd Ave.. If I can help let me know.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Mods that I'd do:

Replace the bolt buffer yourself. I like the KIDD one. You can get the cheapest bolt buffer buy buying a 1/4" nylon bolt that has a long enough unthreaded area to use as the buffer.

I sent my trigger assembly to Dave at BrimstoneGunsmithing - Brimstone Gunsmithing. He did an excellent job on making it sooo much better. Even his least expensive trigger job included the auto bolt release.

You can do the auto bolt release yourself as well, if you have a file or dremel. Instructions are on rimfirecentral.com

I also sent my bolt to Que https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/ to have it tuned. It doesn't improve the accuracy of the gun, but it does improve the functioning.

I also bought the KIDD cocking assembly. It slides much smoother than the stock guide rod.

I still need to get my barrel threaded.

I've built dozens of these, personally I would buy an auto bolt release, you can modify the existing one but I've found its just easier to buy one. Most of the mods you can do yourself without a gunsmith (and I am one). Unless you plan on doing your own trigger job I would DIY. I would get an auto bolt release, extended mag release that comes down underneath the trigger guard, trigger job, bolt buffer, New extractor, an extended bolt handle is nice, I like a new stock that's bedded and barrel but I tend to go overkill. I agree with these guys that the majority of 10/22 work can be done by yourself with a video or someone helping.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top