JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a fence that needs replacing. I haven't measured but it's around 175'-185' I'm guessing. I'm in NE Portland South of the airport a couple three miles.

It's kind of a weird bird fence being that the 50' across the back of the lot is installed on top of a concrete wall about 3' high between my lot and the neighbor's higher grade property. And another short run also installed on top of an old foundation that well predated the building of my house in 1977. I had a company out of Vancouver that was cold calling come out to look at it and they didn't want to mess with it. :( Probably going to cost me a butt-load.:( I've heard Rick's Custom Fencing is top of the line pricing. I may call them too but would like to get another couple estimates first.

We're looking to sell and get out of potland in the next year. The fence is basically being held up in several places by props and posts that I sunk and bolted to the rotted posts.

Try Dicks evergreen fencing. Tv hwy aloha. We've used the quite a bit.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Yer' a funny guy @titsonritz ....:p I'd like you to drop buy. I'll buy you a beer and/or throw a burger on the grill for us. Bring the wife too. I'll give you a shovel and let you dig a 1' wide and 6" deep hole anywhere on my property. EXCEPT, in my raised bed or the 3' X 10'planting spot I cleaned out when we bought the place in 2001. We'll have a good laugh, a beer or two and some food. :s0155:

I went down the path of looking at a contractor to do some fencing. Outrageous labor costs. If you can or know how. Do it yourself. Save thousands.

I went down the path of looking at a contractor to do some fencing. Outrageous labor costs. If you can or know how. Do it yourself. Save thousands.

Man, no way, no how! I was serious about that offer to titsonritz. And the good laugh too! I'm expecting to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K +/- for this. I hope!

Hey...YOU sound knowledgeable RE fence building? I watch after the little guy and we'll watch you? :s0140:

Man, no way, no how! I was serious about that offer to titsonritz. And the good laugh too! I'm expecting to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K +/- for this. I hope!

Hey...YOU sound knowledgeable RE fence building? I watch after the little guy and we'll watch you? :s0140:
How bad off our your posts? Reusable or require all new posts?

Sounds like the neighbors built a retaining wall as their grading is higher?

Another thing to consider is property lines. That neighbors fence, if on a retaining wall, might be entirely within his property line. So you may be SOL if they don't want you replacing their fencing.

I was looking at roughly 60' of fencing and I was quoted around 1400-2000 via three different builders. I priced out the material, I'd be paying about 1/4 of it if I did it myself.

We said F it and we are likely moving instead.

If your posts are in good shape, you'll save a lot of money.

How bad off our your posts? Reusable or require all new posts?

Sounds like the neighbors built a retaining wall as their grading is higher?

Another thing to consider is property lines. That neighbors fence, if on a retaining wall, might be entirely within his property line. So you may be SOL if they don't want you replacing their fencing.

I was looking at roughly 60' of fencing and I was quoted around 1400-2000 via three different builders. I priced out the material, I'd be paying about 1/4 of it if I did it myself.

We said F it and we are likely moving instead.

If your posts are in good shape, you'll save a lot of money.

The posts, if not already fully comprised, aren't long (like one more winter) from being done for. Same for the horizontal 2" X 4's. Now the cedar slats would make some pretty attractive weather aged wood for someone if the nail stains were okay?

We have the money, and that would come back to us in the sale of the house. If $1,400-$2000/60' was doable I'd jump on that I think. Putting posts in the old concrete is what would be a problem, according to the one guy that looked at it. He was just an estimator from the place that does remodeling though.

I was excited to hear of your decision to move after talking to you about your place when we met you out there. I'll be looking forward to hearing where you're going to end up.

Whichever route you go, make Mexico pay for it.

I'm digging the humor from you guys! not fence post holes though.:D

$10,000 for 200' of fence is insane. Someone with basic carpentry knowledge and a couple friends could have that done by three.

For the retaining wall I'd either use a Ramset and brackets for wood posts or drill holes for galvanized pipe. Pipe being more resilient in the wet climate over there.

Do NOT use Rick's Custom Fencing & Decks... had a neighbor use them... expensive for what it was, barely above shoddy work, and inferior materials. Because I had to look at it, I wound up stripping the fence boards off it and re-installing them so it looked better... with the consent of my (then) neighbor, of course.

Last Edited:
Do NOT use Rick's Custom Fencing & Decks... had a neighbor use them... expensive for what it was, barely above shoddy work, and inferior materials. Because I had to look at it, I wound up stripping the fence boards off it and re-installing them so it looked better... with the consent of my (then) neighbor, of course.

I've heard Rick's was very expensive. I'm getting some names on this thread and some via CONVO too. Thank you all. :s0155:

Markwymanconstruction.com
Number one rated builder on nextdoor.com for SE Portland.

114B67A6-F5B0-4349-9893-C5F0B9514DD6.jpeg C843FB6A-77BF-42D1-8FC6-4BD22691DC01.jpeg 6CEA20E8-8292-4B36-B8CA-3B36BA61F9DD.jpeg 97517778-D20B-45EA-98C0-C606B30D0E61.jpeg B2477B62-CDD3-45A0-B71B-030663BAD73C.jpeg B547BE74-92EC-490E-9083-D5B700DCB1A0.jpeg CE932C43-7034-4FD9-BD31-1270F912495D.jpeg

Get references and then take the time to speak with them.

It's really worth the effort.

Fencing contractors need to be checked out 'diligently'. Shortcuts and shoddy work by fencing contractors isn't unknown...

We recently had a baked on black paint/aluminum fence installed to replace our wooden corral fence and ended with a good job, but still had to keep a close eye on what was and was'nt done...

Also, bear in mind that wooden fences/decks are gorgeous, they require very costly maintenance.

Upon looking back on our corral fence, over the years it cost us more in maintenance (we kept it painted black) than if we'd had the kind of fence we now have.

Just something to consider.

Get references and then take the time to speak with them.

It's really worth the effort.

Fencing contractors need to be checked out 'diligently'. Shortcuts and shoddy work by fencing contractors isn't unknown...

We recently had a baked on black paint/aluminum fence installed to replace our wooden corral fence and ended with a good job, but still had to keep a close eye on what was and was'nt done...

Also, bear in mind that wooden fences/decks are gorgeous, they require very costly maintenance.

Upon looking back on our corral fence, over the years it cost us more in maintenance (we kept it painted black) than if we'd had the kind of fence we now have.

Just something to consider.

I want the new fence to be done well. I'll see what different style cost, but we plan on selling and getting out of Portland in the next year. Considering the ugly condition of what I currently call a fence, anything put up properly will be great!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top