JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess you mean free shooting? you could go to the rock quarry near estacada. Or you could go to Salmonberry road off of 26. Both probably take about an hour to get to.

If someone knows of a place to freely shoot that is closer than these two places, I would sure like to know about it! (I'm pretty near Happy Valley in Portland)

Yeah, sorry about not specifying. I will be shooting a 30.06 and I find that the ranges near aren't really long enough for what I'm looking for, especially if I'm going to pay to shoot. Thanks for the help though big.

Some of the fancier ranges have long distance shooting. I think pretty much all of them don't allow casual visitors, though. So everyone who doesn't wanna pony up a few hundred (or more) bucks is pretty much SOL.

It's a bit of a drive, but Clark Rifle up in The 'Couve is open to the public every Sunday. It's $15 entry, but they have ranges up to 300 yards (should be good for your .06).

New members pay a one-time initiation fee of $175. Annual dues are $120. Associate member (spouse) annual dues are $35. Payment may be made with cash, check or money order; no credit cards. Dues are pro-rated, starting in October. Therefore, a new member joining June-September would pay $295 ($175 initiation plus $120 dues).

Yeah, I don't know of anything where you can get a longer distance closeby for free.

Makes me wax nostalgic for where I grew up in Eastern Oregon. 15 minute drive to a a place where you shoot a few hundred yards for free.

I don't see the value of 300 yds. 100 yds yes, 600 yds, yes.

With all of my "high speed" center fires, particularly my .270 Win, if I sight them dead-on at 25 yards, they will be about a case-length high at 100 yards. Maybe a little more at 200 yds. Pretty close to back on target at 300 yds. Maybe 8" or so low at 400 yds. After that, it depends on the gun. All of those striking points out to 400 yards are "kill zone" shots.

Now, if I want to shoot farther, I need a range finder and some experimenting to find out what my drop is with the particular gun. Here at the house I have a 100 yd range, but obviously I can move closer for handgun, etc. I sight every high speed center fire dead-on at 25 yds.

$.02

If long range is truly your goal, you need to look into the effect of yaw and pitch of a bullet's flight path.
Berger's Bryan Litz has a dynamic graph of of a 7mm bullet's path from the muzzle to 200 yds.
In it you can see that the yaw induced variation doesn't even get below 1 degree until the bullet has crossed 120yds. It has really settled down by the time it reaches 180yds.

It makes us all wonder how many great loads were abandoned because they wouldn't shoot bug hole groups at 100yds.
You can watch here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9SCbCBHaY

It also shows us how POI vs POA changes in that first 200 yds.
For the average hunter it may not be a factor, but for those that think they can "step it out" beyond 300yds, because they have dialed in elevation at 100yds, it needs to be considered.
Something to be aware of and think about during load workup.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top