JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
anyone ,anyone ?
I have trail boss, w231, Clays powders
Hoping someone has Lyman's cast bullet manual ?
You really should buy a manual or two. For now I think all the powder manufacturers also still have charts free online. Same with the bullet manufacturers. The one thing I would caution to NOT do is take someone's word for it on the net. Anyone can tell you anything. They may even give the wrong info by mistake not meaning to. If you damage your gun and or yourself, using the wrong info? There has got to be a ton of stuff free online that is from a known site. Take one of those and work with the low end see how it works from there. Its why I have since Algore invented the net never shared load info of mine on it. This is a huge risk.

Wow-- that's light for 45Colt. It all comes down to what you're shooting it from. I use W231 to good effect but I run 200gn plated. If you're running rifle loading like a new Henry as I am with a strong action you can load up pretty hot though there is virtually no data for it. If you're playing pistol cowboy games there's a lot out there for free like at Hornady's website or many of the manufacturer's websites. The new Lee manual is a lot of "look how good we are" but decent load data; Hornady 10 is pretty good. I've heard good things about Trail Boss as it's bulky enough not to cause double-charges, etc. which can be an issue for more densely-manufactured powders like W231. Hope this gets you started!

Lyman's doesn't list a 180gr swc But here's a couple of pages from the Lyman's 4th Edition...

710FEBC9-8F21-4820-8BEF-B7DDD925666F.jpeg ADF391FE-9989-4427-9B7F-A84863E6DB26.jpeg

I recently ran trial loads of 165g cast 44 special from published tables using 2 different powders. Amazed to discover how inaccurate the lightest loads were at 50'.
My all time favorite SASS load in 45LC was a upper medium load of Trail Boss pushing 200g RNL.

I read that one of my favs, Titegroup is good for such light boolitts in .45LC

180 grain LRNFP (flat point)
Trail Boss 6.0 gr. 818 (IMR minimum load)
Trail Boss 7.3 gr. 935 (IMR Max load)
Universal 6.5 gr. 791 FPS minimum
Universal 9.2 gr. 1161 FPS MAXIMUM
HP38 6.0 gr. 838 minimum
HP38 8.2 gr. 1087 Maximum
Titegroup 5.0 gr. 759 minimum
Titegroup 6.9 gr. 1020 Maximum
Clays 4.8 gr. 840 minimum
Clays 6.0 gr. 1016 Maximum

HP38 = W231 yes?

180 grain SWC is a great choice. I use 205's in my 44 Special/44mag. (Heavier bullets require more lead, so the purchase price is slways higher)

Hodgson's 2019 Reloading manual shows 6.0-8.2 grains of WW231.
The Clays load is 4.8-6.0 grains.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top