JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today I tried out the small changes to my best powder charge like you guys suggested. 22.3 gr worked out the best for me and I shot the best group I've ever shot in my life: 1.3cm(1/2") @ 50 yards. I know it's not much to brag about, but for me it's a big step and has proven to me how much more accurate your own loads can be.

So the next step for me is like Deadshot said and increase OAL. I think I'll have to move up to 100 yards to get a better idea of accuracy now. I won't be splitting hairs trying to measure my groups.

You were right Deadshot. There was one length that was drastically better than the rest, and you were right that it was the longest @ 2.260. I went from 5" groups @ 100m on every target to 2" at 2.250 and 1.5" at 2.260. I've also discovered the wonders of using ogive instead of OAL. When I was using OAL almost every round was slightly different in length even though I didn't touch my seating die. It took forever to get every one the same length. This last batch I used a Hornady headspace/comparator gauge and each round was exactly the same and I didn't have to reseat any of them. But when I measure OAL they were all different, so I think the lead bullet tips get mushed in the box.

So now that I know what length ogive my rifle likes, does that mean it should stay constant with other bullets or should I still work up the length also?

This is so exciting. Every time I go to the range I'm shooting better than I ever have in my life.

scrappydoo-

You'll still need to pay attention to the OAL (Base to tip) if you are feeding your rounds from a magazine. The 2.260" OAL is the longest round that will reliably feed from a standard AR-15/M-16 magazine. For single rounds fed from a magazine you can go longer but once the round is pressed into the mag "box" excess length will cause them to jamb.

You might like to try the Hornady 55 gr V-Max. For me, it shoots fantastic groups in my Heavy Barreled AR. It has a match grade jacket and bullets are extremely uniform. Not all that expensive either. $41 for a box of 250 at Natchez Shooters Supply. More expensive than a "plinker" but super accurate if you go after "vermin". You might find that the load you're using is just fine for the slightly heavier bullet. I load mine to 25.5 gr using AA2230.

Thanks, I was actually looking for a good 55gr bullet. (just because it'll work fine in slower twist AR's too) The 2.250 was almost as accurate as the 2.260 so I'll experiment with both, but I'm thinking the 2.250 might be worth the tiny loss of accuracy just to gain concsistancy with my seating die. (and a whole lot less headache)

YOu are learning what the 'rest of us' have learned...reloading can drive you crazy !!

buit it's a fun crazy.:)

life is simpler if you seat with one die then crimp with another.much easier to make adjustements that way.
if you want to make it an even crazier kind of fun,add a chrono to the mix.whooee,that will drive ya NUTS trying to figure things out !! lol But you will find that the loads that run the tightest fps-wise are nearly always more accurate. It sure opened my eyes when chronoing .22lr rounds one day.

Sounds like you are getting a handle on it,so go forth and spend more money on more gear and supplies. And be safe.

Another good powder for 223 is hogdon blc-2. It has allot of the same charecteristics of aa2230. For me I seem to get about half inch better groups with it when I use 50gr or heavier bullets.

if you want to make it an even crazier kind of fun,add a chrono to the mix.whooee,that will drive ya NUTS trying to figure things out !! lol But you will find that the loads that run the tightest fps-wise are nearly always more accurate. It sure opened my eyes when chronoing .22lr rounds one day.

Sounds like you are getting a handle on it,so go forth and spend more money on more gear and supplies. And be safe.

The Club where I shoot has a member who broke 5 national records in one match. He tells me repeatedly that the thing that makes shooting so much fun is that "You'll never master it. Every day at the range is a new experience".

As for the equipment, I get strange looks when I wheel in my huge Pelican case with Chronograph, Spotting Scope, Log Books, level, gloves, recoil pad, extension cord (for the IR skyscreens on Chronograph), tripod, ammo, etc. Lets just say my "range bag" has wheels.

On a serious note, a reloader who is trying to develop loads for is rifle would do well to invest in even a basic Chronograph. The Shooting Chrony line offers a good model or two for less than $100. Not only will it show which powder loads provide the most consistent accuracy but it will also give some warnings that may not show up by just reading the case/primer for pressure signs. Speeds that are far and away faster than what a published load would indicate might be a warning that someone's scale is telling fibs. Higher speeds can be nice but it can also indicate "too much steam in the boiler".

I love it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top