JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It looks like Brightwater doesn't do FFL Transfers anymore.

There are two specific guns I'm looking at. One on Gunbroker.com and one on Auctionarms.com and I need an FFL in WA to do the transfers.

Any recommendations? I'd really like to find someone that is email savvy.

Thanks, I've seen that but it's a big list. I was looking for member recommendations.

I called Joe at Crossroads and I think he will work out well.

Apparently, Mike at Brightwater doesn't do FFL transfers anymore.

However, if any other members have direct experience doing the Gunbroker thing then it would be nice to hear how it all went. This would be my first time buying through one of these sites.

I know one guy in Renton who does transfers for $20 (per transfer form, not per gun - up to 3 guns of one class per transfer)
Also there is another guy in Covington, but that one strongly believes that there should be sales tax charged (for some reason this is a popular belief among WA dealers - while still can't find any law confirming the belief)

PM me if you need their contact information

It looks like Brightwater doesn't do FFL Transfers anymore.

There are two specific guns I'm looking at. One on Gunbroker.com and one on Auctionarms.com and I need an FFL in WA to do the transfers.

Any recommendations? I'd really like to find someone that is email savvy.

You didn't say where in Washington, but it says Clark County in your profile. If Vancouver is close by, you could talk to coctailer, a NWFA member here. Here's his <broken link removed> .

I know one guy in Renton who does transfers for $20 (per transfer form, not per gun - up to 3 guns of one class per transfer)
Also there is another guy in Covington, but that one strongly believes that there should be sales tax charged (for some reason this is a popular belief among WA dealers - while still can't find any law confirming the belief)

PM me if you need their contact information

I think you are talking about Eric Berg of Blackwell Ind. That is his MO, up to three guns on one 4473 for $20.00 and he is located in Renton. He let his sponsorship/advertisement lapse due to the fact he is very busy building guns.

SF-

I think you are talking about Eric Berg of Blackwell Ind. That is his MO, up to three guns on one 4473 for $20.00 and he is located in Renton. He let his sponsorship/advertisement lapse due to the fact he is very busy building guns.

SF-

You're right, that's him. He's done a couple of transfers for me, including one GB purchase.
Somehow there are not so many options - many FFLs in Seattle area are not very friendly towards internet transfers, charging sales tax or adding extra premium for the guns they have in stock. I assume it's because the WA sales tax makes it difficult to compete price-wise
The things must be different down there in Oregon

I think you are talking about Eric Berg of Blackwell Ind.

+1 for Eric. I have used him for perhaps 10 transaction in the last 18 months or two years. Great to deal with, professional. He will also receive the gun, then you can pick it up at any WAC show as he tables at all of them. Dang convenient if you aren't close to Renton.

I know this does the folks in Clark Co. down there no good, but for Seattle/Tacoma area folks he is a great and affordable resource. His outbound rates and shipping are also very fair if you decide to sell on GB or AA.

Any horror stories from Gunbroker or AuctionArms?

Nope. I have done maybe 20 or maybe 30 firearm transactions on GB and maybe four on AA in the last, hmm, three years or so? Probably 30 to 50 non-firearms transactions on GB. Everything was as advertised or better. About 1/2 the time, the guns show up in better condition or with extras not mentioned. The best was a slightly worn S&W model 60 a few years ago for $282. It showed up with the original grips, box, and papers (not mentioned in the auction). All it took was a little Rem Oil and 0000 wool and it was factory fresh and worth almost double. Just work the details out ahead of time - understand the transfer/shipping fees and how to get it done, and if something is unclear email or call ahead of bidding or your final bid to clear it up.

I've done well over a dozen transfers through a guy in the south end of Olympia, Jack Morris at Cumberland Sports (found him through that same link above, called and chatted with a few, felt good about Jack... and can't imagine a better guy to deal with. He's a small time chap, works out of his home, has been shooting, modifying, and smithing on firearms since he was eleven years old... he's now retired, and I'd guess he's early 70's. Wonderful guy to deal with, very knowledgeable, friendly. $20 long guns, $25 short... and having watched the extra hassle a non-CPL transfer of a pistol is, he's too cheap at $25. He also buys/sells used, stocks limited variety and quantity of new arms...... Kahr, Glock, S&W, Ruger, Stag, Mega, Marlin..... liquidates/buys estates and collections.

He has to charge sales tax on what merchandise HE has in his inventory, but realises when he transfers a weapon, he never owns it nor runs it through his inventory, thus cannot charge sales tax. (anyone who does is a cheat..... don't deal with them). His prices are fair, lower than most. 360 352 4083. He also can ship anywhere legal, INCLUDING California, and will receive any weapon from anyone, dealer or private party. Also deals ammunition, mostly the common things, but he does have some strange ones as well. Fair prices, not always in stock (hey, who DOES these days?)
Calling at his place to pick up a treasure from GunBroker is always a treat... and only partly to get my newest. Its just great to visit with him. A true gentleman, and of a disappearing breed.

As to dealing on GunBroker and/or Auction Arms, I've had upward of 20 transactions involving these two sites, and have been more often surprised my purchases have been better than expected than worse. Gotten some absolutely screaming deals, too.. IF you watch and are careful, you can. Just don't be in a hurry....... and know the value of what you are seeking. Guard against auction fever. Best help in selling is a good set of VERY high quality photographs. Get your buyers drooling over your goods, and you'll get a better price. Never had any real problems dealing on either site.

Hope this sheds some light on the sales tax issue.
I'm an FFL dealer in Vancouver, WA. When I started in business a year ago, I sent two emails to the Washington State Department of Revenue with sales tax questions on firearms transfers. I would prefer not to charge sales tax on transfers and know that many local FFLs don't, however, the DOR binds us to these rulings. This is part of the reason I only charge $15 to perform a transfer.

Here is the email reply:
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:05:41 -0800 [12/30/2008 04:05:41 PM CDT]
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sales Tax on Firearms transfers
Dear Mr. Spatz:

Thank you for your email regarding sales tax and firearms. You have
asked us to respond to the following:

I am fairly new in the business and am trying to follow
the guidelines required by the State. It seems difficult to get
clear-cut answers on legally transferring firearms and payment of sales
tax. I've read about use tax and also wonder if I can put the
responsibility on the person that I am transferring the firearm to pay
the state use tax themselves. If you could assist me, I would appreciate
it.

1. A person receives a firearm as a gift from a relative
in another state where the relative already paid sales tax in that state
and the relative seeks out a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer to
transfer it to me (also an FFL holder). Is the person in our state
required to pay additional sales tax on this gift?

As a licensed dealer that is participating in the transfer of the
firearm, you are responsible for collecting any sales or use tax due on
firearms delivered to customers in Washington.

In the case of transfers as a gift, if the person gifting the firearm to
the person in Washington has previously paid sales tax on the firearm,
no tax is due in Washington. However, they must demonstrate to you that
the tax was previously paid by the person gifting the firearm. A copy
of a sales receipt showing the tax paid is sufficient proof.

2. A relative in another state passes away and leaves
the firearm in his/her will to a resident in our state. Is the WA
resident required to pay sales tax to me on the transfer of this
firearm?

The answer is yes, unless they can show that the relative previously
paid sales or use tax on that particular firearm.

3. A WA resident purchases a firearm from a dealer in a
different state via the internet and has it transferred to me. Am I
required to collect sales tax from this person?

The answer is yes, unless the out of state dealer has already collected
Washington's sales tax. In which case, the purchaser must provide
documentation to support that Washington's sales tax was already paid.

4. A WA resident purchases a handgun in Oregon and has
it transferred to me. Am I required to collect sales tax?

The answer is yes.

5. An active or reserve member of the military is
temporarily stationed in another state and purchases a firearm in that
state. They pay that states sales tax and then ask the dealer to ship it
to me here in their home state. Am I required to double tax them when I
perform the transfer in WA?

Washington's use tax applies. However, the amount of sales tax paid in
another state, may be applied to offset the amount of use tax due in
Washington.

If you have any further questions, please write again.

State of Washington
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE

well, yes, the truth sucks... if it weren't for the unconstitutional laws restricting interstate commerce, we'd be able to just drive to Oregon, pick up what we want, and drive home. I buy something on eBay, I don't pay sales tax when it arrives. Why should I pay it whenn I buy something on Gunbroker.... just because the Scairdy Bunch have legislated that we use a FFL Dealer to transfer it changes nothing as far as Washington State is concerned. I've bought a few long guns from Oregon dealers... they don't charge Washington tax, what, are they going to post an inspection station at the river and nail me as I reenter my home state?

Well, the thieves in Oly have no end to ways they think they can get my hard earned dollars out of my pocket so they can waste them. Makes me all the more eager to find FtF arms..... they haven't yet deputised every resident of Washington to collect sales tax on everything that changes hands. Time to toss the louts overside along with their tea.....

Well, the thieves in Oly have no end to ways they think they can get my hard earned dollars out of my pocket so they can waste them.

Well, you know.. I came from the country where the things are a little different.
The nice guys from the "Oly" of those places don't invest your tax dollar to developing roads. They don't really need it - sure, the traffic is horrible, but local police can simply block roads for them, so they can get where they need to pretty fast. The problem is solved, why care
Or, when it comes to hunting, they simply take a chopper from local 911 department, and hunt from the air in a forest reserve. Probably, it's a lot of fun. Not precisely legal though, but who the **** cares. They create the rules, not for the sake of playing by the rules.
And, when on the next election you want to express your "f..k you"... you kind of getting surprised. The published results are quite opposite. There must be some magic in it, since almost none of the people I knew voted that way.

So, after all... here, I somehow appreciate what I have. And even 9&#37; of the sales tax, which I hate as most of the other folks do, doesn't seems to be too high price to pay

Yes, this is off topic, it's time to shut up :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top