JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
howdy.. this seems like an inappropriate place to post this, for some reason, but i couldnt really think of a better place to put it- so here it goes.

i just signed up for a membership at the Vault in saint helens... they've got a fairly decent rockwall in there, LOTS of routes that are changing all the time. i've only climbed a few of the easier routs so far.. as far as i can tell, unless you have a belay-certified partner, you can really only climb during the "time to climb" open climb times they've got, where staff will belay you.

so i'm hoping to find a local partner to climb with.. very casual regimen- call me up, "sup, bro, wanna climb?" "**** yea, dawg... meet you down there in twenty" sort of thing.

it obviously requires you either already be a member up there, or be willing to make a membership commitment. $40 will get you a month's membership, $45 will get you belay certified, at the club, if you currently have no credentials. then we can belay each other whenever we want.

i should mention that i'm not exactly "new" to ropes, i am definitely BRAND new to rock climbing. not that it matters, as i can belay somebody just as well as anybody... but there it is. also looking to find some rock locally, in spring, but that's later on.

anybody local wanna climb?

Good luck finding a partner. I'm in Corvallis so I can't help, but I've dealt with climbing partners stopping climbing, moving, or dying such that I stopped a while back. I'm trying to get back into it again.

anybody local wanna climb?

Hey that's cool that St. Helens as a climbing gym. I'm only in Scappoose every once in a while so I can't join you. I've climbed in many gyms. Just go on a regular schedule (like every Tuesday and Thursday night) and boulder. You'll eventually find someone else looking for belays.

I'm out of state for quite a while or I would hit you up.. I've been climbing for a couple years now and I love it. Defiantly try out smith rock by redmond when you get a chance.... its amazing!

i've been bouldering pretty regularly.. i've also taken a couple offered classes, and doing a weekly strength and conditioning class. i also signed up for the spring trip.. not sure where we're going yet, depends on who signs up and how new they are. i think i've already gotten to a point i can handle bigger stuff... the leader says if it's guys at my skill level or better, we'll probably do smith. otherwise, maybe beacon rock or similar.

i'm basically just wanting to build a base. i'm gonna be doing some more technically difficult summits in the next year, and it's been my observation that rock tends to be most mountaineer's weakness. i want it to be a strength, for me.. and the only way to be a competent rock climber is to climb some mother bubblegumin rock.

Beacon Rock has some great moderate multi-pitch climbs. It's a very different experience than Smith Rock, where bolted sport routes are king. Multi-pitch natural pro routes are much more challenging/rewarding, IMO.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top