JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of these threads do we see? It doesn't matter what the purpose or type of weapon, there is always the "need a gun for xyz, only got $400". My first reaction is that people can be somewhat unrealistic about what they can get for that kind of money. The second is to suggest one of the new bargain rifles that have flooded the market (Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, etc.).

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like the middle class of hunting rifles is dying. You can buy a rifle at $800+ or a rifle around $350 that may or may not be very well made. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that there is a price point that gets more people into shooting and hunting. It just seems there are plenty of complaints about reliability and durability.

SO, I plan on buying a decent rifle and have it field ready with scope and sling for....under $400. My theory is that I can put this rig together in the spirit of a parent or first-time hunter who needs to pinch dollars, bit wants something that will last and can be upgraded in the future to something semi-custom in nature.

Goals:

• Accurate, durable rifle with aftermarket support.

• Chambered in a readily available and versatile cartridge capable of taking any non-dangerous game up to moose...that costs less than $20 a box of ammo.

• Scope that is waterproof, fog proof, and durable for shots out to 400 yards on a vital zone measuring 8 inches in diameter.

• Strong mounts to maintain zero.

• Servicable sling that can be used not only to carry the rifle, but provide shooting support.

Once this is achieved and demonstrated, I will then make upgrades to the rifle to make it something on par with some of the bare $1000 rifles out there....but I will have it scoped and ready to go for under $800...with good components.

Stay tuned! I plan to have phase one complete in the next 7 days due to shipping times.

Last Edited:
How many of these threads do we see? It doesn't matter what the purpose or type of weapon, there is always the "need a gun for xyz, only got $400". My first reaction is that people can be somewhat unrealistic about what they can get for that kind of money. The second is to suggest one of the new bargain rifles that have flooded the market (Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, etc.).

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like the middle class of hubting rifles is dying. You can buy a rifle at $800+ or a rifle around $350 that may or may not be very well made. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that there is a price point that gets more people into shooting and hunting. It just seems there are plenty of complaints about reliability and durability.

SO, I plan on buying a decent rifle and have it field ready with scope and sling for....under $400. My theory is that I can put this rig together in the spirit of a parent or first-time hunter who needs to pinch dollars, bit wants something that will last and can be upgraded in the future to something semi-custom in nature.

Goals:

• Accurate, durable rifle with aftermarket support.

• Chambered in a readily available and versatile cartridge capable of taking any non-dangerous game up to moose...that costs less than $20 a box of ammo.

• Scope that is waterproof, fog proof, and durable for shots out to 400 yards on a vital zone measuring 8 inches in diameter.

• Strong mounts to maintain zero.

• Servicable sling that can be used not only to carry the rifle, but provide shooting support.

Once this is achieved and demonstrated, I will then make upgrades to the rifle to make it something on par with some of the bare $1000 rifles out there....but I will have it scoped and ready to go for under $800...with good components.

Stay tuned! I plan to have phase one complete in the next 7 days due to shipping times.

This is gonna be good. ;)

**NO SPOILER ALERT**

I maybe might know what this is. And trust me, it's worth watching this thread. ;):)

I see a lot of older 30-06 rifles with scope and sling that someone's grandpa hunted with for a few decades in great shape.

I'm guessing that's not what's going on but for $250-350 I see those rifles all the time.

I see a lot of older 30-06 rifles with scope and sling that someone's grandpa hunted with for a few decades in great shape.

I'm guessing that's not what's going on but for $250-350 I see those rifles all the time.

And with the right man behind the trigger, they are VERY effective. ;)

So I hit the mother load boys! I went to Walmart thinking I might take a peak, and I'm glad I did. Can you say, "Brand new rifles for $249.00"? Read em and weep!

56216161-6F94-43D8-B5E2-2ED4B19C9D53.jpeg

I bought 3 of them. Don't try and say I'm over budget, the other two don't count.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Select 270 Winchester (nothing "select" about it. Just a Weatherby Vanguard S2 with a plain black synthetic stock. But $249 a piece!

448CD4AD-16FF-4B96-BF0F-C26257F673CA.jpeg

Welcome to the GH club. We meet weekly in the local church basement.

GH = g u n hoarder

So I hit the mother load boys! I went to Walmart thinking I might take a peak, and I'm glad I did. Can you say, "Brand new rifles for $249.00"? Read em and weep!

View attachment 496001

I bought 3 of them. Don't try and say I'm over budget, the other two don't count.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Select 270 Winchester (nothing "select" about it. Just a Weatherby Vanguard S2 with a plain black synthetic stock. But $249 a piece!

View attachment 496002

See, I totally thought I was gonna do a rehab on an old 700 or something similar. Never thought I'd run into the deal I ran into. Bought a box of Remington Core-Lokts for $17.54 too.

I bought the 270 because:

• Just as many ammo options as 30-06.
• Ammo was consistently under $20 a box for non-premium ammo. As cheap as 243 (bought a 243 too).
• I have a couple 30-06s already.

View attachment 496001

View attachment 496002

How do you pass that stuff up? :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top