Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need 10/22 expert in or near Portland

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by teflon97239, Jul 2, 2011.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Pumped more than a few bricks of ammo through my Ruger 10/22 since 1986, easily 100,000+ rounds. Now it's tired and misfeeds about 10% no matter how clean and slick I keep it.

Advice and diagnoses abound. Suppose I could replace the innards piece by piece and hope to eliminate an undefined combination of flaws... But my repair and tune-up skills are more with used electric guitars than with semi-auto guns. I don't want to waste the summer (and money) swapping everything out and still have a sluggish 10/22.

So, who's THE EXPERT in Portland to diagnose it one time, repair it, and make my not-so-trusty plinker fresh and reliable (fun) again? Thanks for any tips.

2. speedtriple

speedtriple Vancouver, Washington, United States Member

I am no expert, but I would guess replacing the recoil spring would be a great first step.

3. OregonJohn

OregonJohn Sutherlin, Or Bronze Life Member #1 Lifetime Supporter

Clean the gun good. Then look up online for a good write up on mag cleaning, or go buy a new factory mag. The after market mags have a shelf life and the factory mags need to be cleaned after time. The recoil spring next if the mag clean does not help.

John

4. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Like mentioned above a new recoil spring is probably a good idea. I have had great results with the Tubb 2000 and Rimfire Technology spring. While you are at it, stick a Volquartsen extractor in there. Check the mouth of the chamber for any burrs as well. Working on a 10/22 is fairly simple. Check out rimfirecentral.com. There is plenty of good info on that site that will walk you through just about anything.

jer fly and (deleted member) like this.
  5. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

The rimmed chamber may be worn, new barrel $35
    fireing pin, hammer spring, recoil spring and new mag maybe another $35
    The skill to install said items,,,Priceless

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Have you tried a NEW oem magazine? 90+% of mis-feeds are mag related.