JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Other stuff to carry? CELL PHONE! extra reload, a light and knife always go with me. As a civilian forget the handcuffs.... Clint says it best - you dont want to capture them.... you just want them away from you. What do the cops do when they catch them? (let them go)

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry cuffs, surefire, knife, pepper spray/mace extra rounds. It makes a good case in court when you can say that you had the means to use lesser degrees of force and did not feel the situation called for those lesser degrees. Also i was trained armed security, hence the cuffs.

Matt

Going back to an earlier post it is important to offer first aid to a perp, no matter how ridiculous that sounds. There have been multiple law suits against those who didn't offer medical assistance after a self defense shooting. So to save the courtroom drama, make sure its safe, and that you don't touch any bodily fluids, offer first aid the best you can... That way a lawyer can't make you out to be a gun toting murder who let some young man die in the street...

3 things I never leave the house without.. A good pistol..a good knife..and a good flashlight.. Just because it's daytime..doesn't mean you won't find yourself in a poorly lit area..

Going back to an earlier post it is important to offer first aid to a perp, no matter how ridiculous that sounds. There have been multiple law suits against those who didn't offer medical assistance after a self defense shooting. So to save the courtroom drama, make sure its safe, and that you don't touch any bodily fluids, offer first aid the best you can... That way a lawyer can't make you out to be a gun toting murder who let some young man die in the street...
Please tell me how that would be a safe thing to do?

tell us how many of those lawsuits, properly justified, won for the petitioner?

Well, I carry gloves and mask on me at all times, for the purpose of offering first aid. I would not offer first aid to a perp if I still considered him a threat, only once the threat had been eliminated would I offer any sort of detention or first aid assistance. By offering first aid you will save a lot of headache in the court room.

It all depends on the situation if it is safe for you to give first aid. If it was someone with a baseball bat you shot, well then it may be easy for you to remove the bat and provide what limited help you can. That being said I have to agree with

Well, even off duty or security.... there's no reason to approach a suspect by yourself. Wait for cover.... Of course that's the rule and there are always exceptions but the same rules apply.

There are dash cam videos of trained police officers shooting a suspect and then walking up to check on them, and then getting shot themselves. The one in particular took place in the south somewhere and the bad guy only had a .22 pistol. He waited for the officer to approach after taking multiple 357 rounds. The round went in thru his armpit, past his vest, and killed the officer. The bad guy survived of course.

You should do what is REASONABLE in giving aid. This may be just calling 911. Bad people do not change because they are injured. Even those in their death throws may still try and harm you. Just remember that if you use deadly force you need to protect yourself. when you train at the range make sure you verbalize as you shoot. this will help you to keep breathing when you do get in a fight and notify all those in earshot what is going on so they can be a witness later on. Then make sure you are clear to the police on the reasons why you used your gun, why you were in fear, why you did or did not give aid. Dont assume the police know everything that happened. Have you ever gotten into an argument with a wife or friend when you both saw the same thing but can't agree on what really happened. Only you know what you were thinking and seeing at the time you were making serious decisions in fractions of seconds. If you don't tell your side clearly and correctly and for some reason it goes to a jury down the road, you may be sorry you didn't.

As for me on what I do or don't carry. I go light and only carry a phone and a gun. I don't plan on playing super hero during a bank robbery. Only the tools to keep me and my family safe as we get away from the threat and leave to call the police.

*All of the above mentioned is not to be considered fact but the rambling thoughts of one person. Use at your own risk :cartman:

You should do what is REASONABLE in giving aid. This may be just calling 911. Bad people do not change because they are injured. Even those in their death throws may still try and harm you. Just remember that if you use deadly force you need to protect yourself.

Calling 911 and remaining on-scene for the authorities to arrive should be enough. Remember, there was a reason to draw and fire in the first place so don't assume that just because the bad guy is down and still breathing/moving that he's no longer a potential threat.

I always have a pair of tuff cuff's disposable restraints, if its not on me its in the rig and a pocket knife, comes in handy for whenever.

so don't assume that just because the bad guy is down and still breathing/moving that he's no longer a potential threat.
Right, and that's why certified armed professionals in Washington are advised to carry handcuffs, to neutralize the threat in order to be able to safely provide 1st aid.

1st Aid could be as simple as treating for shock by placing a jacket over the person ( should be under them but dang if I'm completely wrecking my coat over the deal), or applying pressure to the hole if they're leaking all over the place.

In all situations, good sense should prevail, and each instance needs to be evaluated for risk potential. The proper answer could range anywhere between cuffing and applying 1st aid to getting the heck back and calling/waiting for the aid people.

I see police on the "Cops" TV show frequently doing nothing at all for the shot person as they wait for the Medic One to arrive. Department policy dictates, apparently.

Oregon used to have a law that they could use to prosecute people for lack of action when they just stood around doing nothing and could have saved a person in distress (such as a drowning victim). I don't know if that's still on the books or how it may apply to a defensive shooting.

I've never heard of the law. If it existed, I would imagine it would have just about impossible to enforce. Think of how many people shirk their duty as a juror. Image all the excuses they could find to not help their fellow man.

It was on the books back when I was taking criminal law courses in Portland in the early '70's- our professor was Des O'Connell, the Multnomah County D.A.; we assumed he knew what he was talking about... ;)

I've never heard of the law. If it existed, I would imagine it would have just about impossible to enforce. Think of how many people shirk their duty as a juror. Image all the excuses they could find to not help their fellow man.

Any idea how much money i would lose doing jury duty? I have a family to provide for and the government takes enough of my money thank you. Its not shirking its common sense. However i will help my fellow man.

Matt

Any idea how much money i would lose doing jury duty? I have a family to provide for and the government takes enough of my money thank you. Its not shirking its common sense. However i will help my fellow man.

That is why there are routes to be reasonably excused from jury service--hardship being one. Some folks are fortunate in that their employers will pay all or part of their salary/wages up to a certain time period for service. Unless you find yourself on a Grand Jury or an unusually complex case, most service lasts a week or so and most people are not empaneled. I serve even when my employer does not help pick up the tab.

There is a reason why jury pools are so much bigger than the number of people actually empaneled on juries. Many people are legitimately excused and many others seek the means to not serve rather than seeking the means to serve. For each person that finds a way out of service, another must be called.

I try to keep in mind that the jury pool I'm asked to join (and the subsequent jury I'm on if I'm lucky enough to be empaneled) is the last and most fundamental barrier between my fellow citizens and the power of the state. Even in a civil case, the jury is the foundation upon which disinterested parties can resolve legitimate disputes an a manner which preserves society and community using rules on which we largely agree.

When cases do not go to trial, it is the promise (threat) of a jury that mostly (not always) prevents the government from overreaching.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt and yes it can lead to financial hardship in rare instances. You may think the government already takes too much from you and you may think that jury service is another government-imposed financial burden to be avoided. Really, though, jury service is not the government taking from you--it's you taking the time to weigh the issues and then tell the government what it can can or cannot take from others and--by extension--you.

I look forward to serving whenever I'm called, for however long it takes. One of the reasons our great nation is in the mess we're in is because so many of us don't take the time to exercise our RESPONSIBILITIES that go hand in hand with the rights we're so concerned about.

30% voter turnout got us the degenerates who "serve" in our statehouses and legislatures, like Governor Teddy here who's spent the last few years hiding under his desk on our dime (think "Blazing Saddles").

I've sat on juries, felony cases, where I'd wager 50% of the jurors couldn't find the courthouse on a map. It's then that I hope and pray that if my future were in the hands of a jury, I'd have a group of 12 that cared as much about justice as I do.

Matt

A jury is part of the legal system that allows a certain fairness. Lose money or not, to be a citizen of the country, certain things are required- one is jury duty.

I lose money when I go. Its a sacrifice I need to make. If you were on trial for an alleged crime that you did not commit, would you want a jury or a judge deciding your fate?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top