JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That's about $130 per firearm. I drove by the location today and all of the side streets with access were blocked off and guarded by officers. No access unless you wanted to give away a firearm.

1680401346682.jpeg

Wow, sure glad they got all those off the street. The firearms in that basket look scary as hell. Rusty, worn-out shotguns and .22 rifles are clearly the weapons of choice for bad guys everywhere...

Daring to bet that no bad guy-types turned in any of those 300 firearms, so not likely there's any direct or immediate improvement in public safety. The only possible up-side I can see is, there are now 300 fewer firearms vulnerable to theft and subsequent use in violent crime. On the downside, that's also 300 reasons for the anti's & the media (redundant, I know) to crow about "success!"

I wonder how many quality firearms were destroyed today. It saddens me to think that someday after I am gone some of my firearms will end up in similar situations. Where ever I end up I know I will shed some tears.

Dang, I was actually about to go to this with a sign offering $150 cash for any functional firearms. Sounds like I might not get anywhere near the place haha

View attachment 1395696
Aside from the cops not liking competition, I believe it's true that most WA transfers must use an FFL, yes?

FFLs are restricted to doing business at the address on their license; you'd have to persuade the gun-dropper to follow you to a convenient FFL. So far as I have heard, there are very few takers for that course of action at these silly 'buy back' events.

Aside from the cops not liking competition, I believe it's true that most WA transfers must use an FFL, yes?

FFLs are restricted to doing business at the address on their license; you'd have to persuade the gun-dropper to follow you to a convenient FFL. So far as I have heard, there are very few takers for that course of action at these silly 'buy back' events.
I know. There's a gun shop 5 min from there!
Probably not open on Sundays but whatever dude! I haven't planned it all out yet

I'm not sure for an 01/02 FFL. However, handing out business cards and a $200 cash per gun offer if you take it to your shop would surely grab a few takers.
Just pick a spot where folks can pull over on an entry street outside their "safety corridor" with a sign. Seems like a great way for an FFL to pick up inventory on the cheap. A lot of the turn ins are junk, but there are always a few that'll make a guy cry to see heading toward the chopping saw. A person can be selective on who they hand a business card too and fluctuate the offer amount accordingly.

I don't know the motivations for all the people doing turn-ins, but I like to think that for the majority, it's more about the no hassle money than it is a genuine interest to remove their firearm from "the streets".

It's been awhile, but these buy backs/turn in's aren't new and a couple I own came from line browsing and parking lot cash offers.

Drive-thru's in vehicles makes that a no go, but there's always a work around.

Are these 'transfers' abiding by state/federal law? RCW 9.41.113
I guess a revolver isn't a pistol? Yes? no?

Amazingly enough, some dumbass 'owners' traded some high dollar weapons for cents on the dollar vs selling them thru legitimate means!
This goes to show there's no cure for stupid!

This 'turn in' looks like an illegal act by a law enforcement agency to me! RCW 9.41.113
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Just for brevity..from 9.41.113
(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons.
(2) No person shall sell or transfer a firearm unless:
(a) The person is a licensed dealer;
(b) The purchaser or transferee is a licensed dealer; or
(c) The requirements of subsection (3) of this section are met.​
(3) Where neither party to a prospective firearms transaction is a licensed dealer, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale or transfer through a licensed dealer as follows:​

The law certainly looks clear to me. Was there a licensed dealer there to accept the firearms and do the paperwork? Yes or No? Just that simple from my perspective.

Dan

Are these 'transfers' abiding by state/federal law? RCW 9.41.113
If you read down further... under the "exceptions"....

"(e) Any law enforcement or corrections agency and, to the extent the person is acting within the course and scope of his or her employment or official duties, any law enforcement or corrections officer, United States marshal, member of the armed forces of the United States or the national guard, or federal official;'

If you read down further... under the "exceptions"....

"(e) Any law enforcement or corrections agency and, to the extent the person is acting within the course and scope of his or her employment or official duties, any law enforcement or corrections officer, United States marshal, member of the armed forces of the United States or the national guard, or federal official;'
Per 4 (e) Nope... it doesn't fly.

Dan

Per 4 (e) Nope... it doesn't fly.
How exactly do you figure it doesn't apply? The transfer requirements are stated and section 4 covers::

"(4) This section does not apply to:"

.... and subsection "e" exempts transfers to law enforcement... which is what is occuring when a person turns over a firearm to LE in these "buyback" scams.

I don't follow your logic.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads