JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am so commitment phobic, I can't even have a dog hahaha. Damn, I do love dogs though. Settled for an f-ing cat. Cool cat, but hey, a cat isn't the same. But I can go out of town for four days and not worry about a cat.

The old saying that dogs are men and cats are females is true. Dogs = unconditional love. Cats = let's sit down and discuss what you are bring to the table in this relationship.

Google Savannah cat...
Kind of like having both, very protective and 35lbs of pissed off cat with claws and teeth is gonna hurt.

Everyone, consider posting a "No Trespassing" sign.

I put up a no trespassing sign and no soliciting sign a couple years ago against the concrete wall facing my stairs. Adhered it with cement glue and held them there to dry with sticks at a 45-degree angle. While they are drying I had solicitors knocking. Not kidding.

I asked the two door knockers - 'come on now, didn't you see the signs; I work hard and when I'm home I don't like to be pestered" -- "Well, sir, a sign is a no and in sales you just cant accept a no ..." SLAM.

Happened last night about 1:30 a.m.:

The dogs barked, the motion light over the garage went on. I looked out the window and saw an SUV had backed up our long driveway up to our garage, but apparently decided not to stay when the motion lights activated (it was leaving as I looked out). I highly doubt they had come in by accident and were turning around because of the length of the driveway and useable turnaround points before you get to the house. Nope - they had backed in along the long driveway. I guess I will install a chain or gate at our entrance this week, but am glad we have motion lights and a couple of attentive dogs.

I put up a no trespassing sign and no soliciting sign a couple years ago against the concrete wall facing my stairs. Adhered it with cement glue and held them there to dry with sticks at a 45-degree angle. While they are drying I had solicitors knocking. Not kidding.

I asked the two door knockers - 'come on now, didn't you see the signs; I work hard and when I'm home I don't like to be pestered" -- "Well, sir, a sign is a no and in sales you just cant accept a no ..." SLAM.

Burt, you should have called the police. I won't hesitate to do it here if they have no agreed-upon business coming past the sign.

Peter

Happened last night about 1:30 a.m.:

The dogs barked, the motion light over the garage went on. I looked out the window and saw an SUV had backed up our long driveway up to our garage, but apparently decided not to stay when the motion lights activated (it was leaving as I looked out). I highly doubt they had come in by accident and were turning around because of the length of the driveway and useable turnaround points before you get to the house. Nope - they had backed in along the long driveway. I guess I will install a chain or gate at our entrance this week, but am glad we have motion lights and a couple of attentive dogs.

I have motion sensors on my driveways that sound a chime when a infrared beam is broken. They are wireless with about a 400 foot range. They are well enough hidden to not be noticed. They go off when a car or person crosses them. Very little problems with cats or deer. When that chime goes off BEFORE the motion sensing light, the dogs start in, and the house lights come on. Night or day. Driveway alarm, dogs barking, led flashlight out the window. Time to reconsider your plan.

Some people might consider the dogs barking annoying, but to me it is an essential part of my overall security plan.

JAFO,
I've been trying to be nice, you my friend are a troll in the truest sense. Why dont you find another thread to pounce. You stated "If you had posted saying it was a possibility, I probably wouldn't have even commented, but you claim it as a fact."

Read the first line of my post:
"This weekend I'm pretty sure I had an attempted home invasion." Does that sound like stated fact? Pretty sure? Now keep your word and quit commenting!

So disagreeing with your assertion that you had a near home invasion is trolling? Is this not a discussion board?

The title of your thread says "Near Home Invasion (Lessons Learned)." I suppose that isn't an assertion that you had a near home invasion? Are the personal attacks a good method of argument? Should I have just went with name calling?

So your argument is that the world really is a safe place, rumors of bad guys and crime are greatly exaggerated, and that strange happenings in the wee hours are usually just benign oddities, and safe to ignore. How is it in the world of fantasy and make believe?

Nope. My argument is that a "near home invasion" is not loud pounding on the door. And in my opinion 6AM is hardly the wee hours.

Sensationalization... it's not just for the media any more.

I've wondered about those but figured the deer would trigger them (?).

Deer, or any animal as large or larger than a cat will trigger most motion detectors. You can adjust the sensitivity some, but always expect a chance of a false alarm. Better a false alarm than no alarm. I use Dakota Alert brand, and recommend them.

A point to consider for Oregon readers: Oregon (thanks to our Supreme Court) has a "duty to retreat" requirement that relates to self-defense, particularly home defense. Every Oregon resident should review it to determine what your options are in a self-defense situation. Leaving the house looking for intruders would not be acceptable in Oregon, should it have turned ugly.

I've wondered about those but figured the deer would trigger them (?).

I have mine set about 24 inches above ground. Keeps the cats, coons and possums from setting them off, and deer don't venture up around the road. They stay in the field below our house. Even if they did, the occasional false alarm is OK with me. I still want the extra seconds they give me if sleeping at night. If somebody even pulls in my driveway at night, and is there long enough for me to get up, get my 1M candle power light on them, message has been sent.

Deer, or any animal as large or larger than a cat will trigger most motion detectors. You can adjust the sensitivity some, but always expect a chance of a false alarm. Better a false alarm than no alarm. I use Dakota Alert brand, and recommend them.

A point to consider for Oregon readers: Oregon (thanks to our Supreme Court) has a "duty to retreat" requirement that relates to self-defense, particularly home defense. Every Oregon resident should review it to determine what your options are in a self-defense situation. Leaving the house looking for intruders would not be acceptable in Oregon, should it have turned ugly.

What's your reference on the "Duty to Retreat"? I'm fairly certain that Oregon and Washington do not have a "Duty to Retreat" requirement. Unless something changed since 2007?

03.29.07 Supreme Court Declares Self Defense Legal. - Oregon Firearms Federation

It is acceptable to leave the house if you suspect and intruder. You just better be in the right if things go wrong. i.e. You should REASONABLY BELIEVE the other guy had the Ability, Capability and Intent to cause you death or serious bodily harm. There better have been no other options to prevent it, no warning shots. You are shooting to stop the threat, not kill. It's a crappy situation either way.

I live alone, so its easy for me to post (and I do) numerous guns around the house. I would have called the cops (it shows youre a responsible person should this escilate and go to court) then taken up a defensive stance with my Mossberg 590A1 twelve gauge waiting from them to bust in. The minute they stepped into the house Id have shot them with my Federal 9 pellet buck shot! Going outside, IMO was crazy!~

Thanks for posting. These examples help all of us.

On the TV show Dallas last night, they depicted a home invasion of sorts at Southfork.

One of the characters saved the day with a Ruger semi-auto rifle w/ an evil magazine and shot the invading leader at a distance (who was attempting a kidnapping and was in the act of attempting to shoot one of the Ewings) dead.

I don't think I've seen anything like that on a TV show in many years. I may be a new Dallas fan now.

One thing I left out is about 20 mins afterwards I took the dog out again and she flew down the driveway and startled a 50ish y/o man walking with black ski hat, black jacket and blue jeans walking on the far side of the street. I ran down to retrieve her and spoke to him briefly, in hind sight wish I had asked a few more questions or seen where he went off to. A lot of people walk in my neighborhood, but it was odd that it was still dark out and I think you would wear brighter clothing for a walk. It also wouldnt be as strange except my front door (The one that was banged on) is actually on the back of my house up a steep long driveway, with an empty lot on one side and large empty yard on other side. I was already awake in the bathroom, 2 windows down from the door, so it wasnt imagined :) Anywho, no incidents since.

Don't know about bright clothing. When I'm out at night, I only wear dark clothes! It's just habitual with me, I hate to get lit up in the dark! Light discipline rules!

Yeah, it's basically like the garage floodlights, but comes with wall mount and motion sensor, black or white, plugs into wall outlet $30 Walmart, not that I promote that store, Home Depot didnt have any. It was a fast easy solution and yes I think it would give them the oh bubblegum I'm no longer invisible feeling :) Not to mention any night vision they had is gone. Going to install one in the basement as well.

Can you post up a link of the floodlight? It is a good idea if you dont have pets that run free in the house at night, or if it is only triggered by a certain size or weight of animal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top