JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once you go outside your home in response to a noise or perceived threat, you don't have the right to shoot anyone. That is a fast ticket to hard time in prison. Lots of guys are locked up because of that.

Someone comes inside, that's different.

You go outside with a firearm looking for the threat? You just shot the paperboy. [so they will say]

Once you go outside your home in response to a noise or perceived threat, you don't have the right to shoot anyone. That is a fast ticket to hard time in prison. Lots of guys are locked up because of that.

You go outside with a firearm looking for the threat? You just shot the paperboy. [so they will say]

Very good point! Thanks

While I must say I wouldn't go outside to see what was going on, he could still legally defend himself. The applicable statute can be found at RCW 9A.16.050: Homicide ? By other person ? When justifiable..

As you state it opens you up to a lot of questions about your motives (see recent shooting after an attempt to steal a car) but you can legally shoot someone on your property even if they are outside. I would hope that should you have to do so, the shooting could be shown to have occurred at a close distance and that the entry wound was not in the other person's back.

I was going to take a pic of my street to show that I wasn't exaggerating, but it would be just a black square.

One neighbor is a disabled vet and I offered to beef up his door/jam with 3" deck screws and install a patio light for him and his wife and they told me no thanks. He is in a wheelchair and has no guns. I ask why and he told me his wife doesn't like them. I overstepped my welcome when I said does she like to be helpless and at the mercy of some scumbag that decides to kick in your flimsy door?

Neighbors believe because it is a 'nice neighborhood' (not that great) they are forever safe.

So I gave up. Like I said, they are cannon fodder at this point.

When things go bad where do these people believe the thugs will head to? - 'nice' neighborhoods. No thug is sitting in the dark with his crowbar fantasizing about breaking into homes in Rockwood. LOL! Damn - Rockwood ... I got my CHL specifically because I work in that area a lot.

Also, specifically 123rd-126th and SE Powell. Middle of the night thugs and scam artists lurking everywhere in the shadows hahahaha. The LCP gets upgraded to a 45acp on those nights.

Burt
I believe and endorse all you have put foward. Just look what happened at Big Bear, CA. That perp had 2 women tied-up for 4 days. I bet they thought they were perfectly safe as well!
Decades ago 2 teen aged punks in Seattle stole their dad's deer rifle, took a bus to my county, shot a farmer, stole his truck then drove through the county on back roads and shot everyone they came across untill they met a deer hunter with a rifle of his own.

I do this now because our house is up for sale, it's a dual bird feeder/trail cam box I built.

A broker showed our house to a retired LEO and he made my camera, it has a still setting and video setting that only records 15 seconds but there he was looking down the lense pointing it out to the rest of the party.

I only popped for the $50 Wally's cheapo but we've had fun with it.

I've actually given some thought to putting one of my trail cams in a birdhouse near the house end of the driveway, just so I know who came and went, and when.

Some suggestions. You mentioned bullet-proof vest. You might want to have a rig, either on the vest with molle attachments or a belt. Either can have the pouches for flashlight, extra magazines, radio/cell phone and holster. It is easy to put on (vest or belt) and everything stays on you, in a familiar layout.

Going outside alone, even with a dog, means giving up some measure of tactical advantage, especially since you are probably coming out of a known egress point, after shining a flashlight and losing your night vision. The dog is no guarantee, I have read that burglars used a family pet as a hostage to gain entry to an otherwise secure home.

Now if you hit the door like Tackleberry (Police Academy), coming out in a shoulder tuck and roll after a flashbang...then you are doing it right. At least until you scare the shyte out of the paperboy.:s0155:

Burt
I want to add to this thread something that happened years ago that I had buried and your thread brought forth in my memory,,It was buried very deep because there is alot of guilt attached to it.
Imagine that you married the most sexy woman on earth and that her siblings and mother were the most polite, welcoming and erudite people you ever met,,,except for the father who was an unrepentant Marxist that ever marched north from Malasia, with fists raised, and then ran like squishy squids when the Kukari weilding Nepal Police were flown in by the Brits. (OK my sources are weak, going on verbal history here).
Honorable Father In Law found refuge in Thailand and became a musican.
Long Time Pass. FIL go blind, become weak old man.
Father-In-Law hate capitalist bank, keep money hidden.
Gangster come, want money.
FIL say FOAD
Torture start
Torture last 2 days
FIL die with honor
Much sadness follow
Bangcok Police capture perps, who die in escape attempt.
FIL still dead.
Lesson?
Don't become a victim

Start a block watch in your neighborhood. It doesn't have to be complicated - just a list of names/addresses/emails. A strange car was parked in our driveway last week (probably casing the house, as it turns out), so the neighbor came out of her house to see what was going on. The car took off when they saw her. Email list let everyone else know what's going on and now they're keeping an eye out too.

Alarm system is good. High-security locks (Medeco or similar) are good. Lights. Bars in the window jams. Don't make it easy on them.

Someone knocking on the door is hardly a near home invasion. Being prepared is good. Being paranoid is not. Your post sounds quite dramatic. I'm sure that's quite appealing to some.

My suggestion still stands that you should put a piece of strap or something on window/sliding door dowels so they are easy to find for removing during an emergency where you are trying to get out instead of keeping others out.

Exactly how would his cell phone alarm (alarm clock) wake up a neighbor? Glad you've thought of everything and know better than anyone else how to do everything.

Oh, I think everyone should run outside with a gun and a bulletproof vest when someone knocks on the door. I think it would be better if the gun was an AR and you were in your underwear though. Getting dressed just takes up precious time.

Signs at bottom of 300yd driveway, danger, beware of dogs (plural), 500 watt halogine light at top of drive.
Large rottweiler loose on patrol backed by German Sheppard, two Queensland healers.
Lights on all three doors 24/7. Son (highly trained SF and secret service) in home at bottom of drive with all kinds of surprises in store. Motion sensors and emergency back up lighting.
Night stand, .45 Colt 1911, 2 mags, surefire digi2ultra, Envis mono night vision.
12 ga. pump, 5 #4 buck loads next to bedroom door@ head of bed.
Doors locked, windows pegged.
Lights in kitchen, none in hallway to wreck NV.
Call it paranoid if you wish, but we sleep well. If were not home don't get out of your vehicle unless into being beset upon by the hounds of Baskerville.

Someone knocking on the door is hardly a near home invasion. Being prepared is good. Being paranoid is not. Your post sounds quite dramatic. I'm sure that's quite appealing to some.

You are right, someone knocking on the door is hardly a home invasion. Someone POUNDING on the door rapidly at 0600 on Saturday after walking up 20ft elevation, 60ft of distance through grass, not up the driveway in a quiet neighborhood counts for me. Someone was hoping I was not home, plain and simple.

FireFly Glow-in-the-Dark Duct Tape

The night sight are good for location and orientation. Another help full bonus is glow in the dark tape for somethings like the flashlight.

Doesn't need to be a lot. Just a little coin shape on the handle that will allow you to see it better at night... But small enough your hand will cover it while in use.
Can have another one on the spare mag..
oh many other useful things..

FireFly Glow-in-the-Dark Duct Tape

The night sight are good for location and orientation. Another help full bonus is glow in the dark tape for somethings like the flashlight.

Doesn't need to be a lot. Just a little coin shape on the handle that will allow you to see it better at night... But small enough your hand will cover it while in use.
Can have another one on the spare mag..
oh many other useful things..

Great idea! Thanks

I have had years of tactical training with U.S. and Foreign Special Forces instructors. I have pulled my weapon in the line of duty in threat situations, put people on the ground, know when to use deadly force and when not to. Anyways, I usually dont post just read and I sort of regret posting this here. My intentions were just to have others think about their own home security and see if they were satisfied with it before something happens. I know I did and wish I had sooner.

Please no regrets. I appreciate you posting this as we all can learn from it and keep learning. Don't let some arm chair cowboy troll deter you from posting helpful information. What some of these trolls need to learn, is that by reading others experiences, you can develop your own plan and tactics. The troll does not post training information or experience. Just runs BS. When you get a group of people this large and diverse, there is going to be differences of opinion and tactics. Thank you for sharing yours.

good information in here. Reminds me to keep beefing up the security at my own house. I found one of the best deterrents is a locking driveway gate and good fence. I also have an alarm system with the most sensors and options that I could get for it... window sensors, motion detectors, door sensors..
This month I am going to run barb wire along the top of my chain link fence and block up any corner areas.. When I get in bed at night knowing that I am secure is priceless.

Those knocks were probably potential thieves checking to see if anyone was home. If you do run outside, make sure your wife is armed and prepared in case you get picked off. If I have to run outside it will be with my AK or VEPR12

Start a block watch in your neighborhood. It doesn't have to be complicated - just a list of names/addresses/emails. A strange car was parked in our driveway last week (probably casing the house, as it turns out), so the neighbor came out of her house to see what was going on. The car took off when they saw her. Email list let everyone else know what's going on and now they're keeping an eye out too.

Alarm system is good. High-security locks (Medeco or similar) are good. Lights. Bars in the window jams. Don't make it easy on them.

There is only one glaring problem with a block watch. When you are the only person out of ten homes that is armed or have taken any security measures whatsoever, you are signing on to be the go-to free security guard - putting your liability and maybe your life on the line.

If they made an effort, yes/maybe. Last Xmas at a block party they all made it clear how much they don't care about security or being armed. So I used that opportunity to agree wholeheartedly, I sold my guns, guns are silly, so are people that prep food/water - they are all nutty and should seek help. Weapons and freeze dried food are bad, big screen TVs and sports are good.

One thing in a lights out situation if my genny failed is I do not have battery backup for my lights outside.
It is something I am considering doing . Because mine like many will lose its Ummph when power goes out.

Anyone have some good poweroutage security ideas on the cheap ?

There are battery operated motion sensors/magnetic triggers available

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads