JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK so from the title alone of my post Im sure Im gonna get some flack for this but.....
I have a RockRiver AR15 that is my baby, I have an eotech holographic, and eotech magnifier on it along with some other goodies.
I found a website last year called Valhalla Armory and they had a ton of scope/holo combos for just plain cheap and I figured what the heck I will try one out. When I got it home in the mail it had NcStar all over the box and I did a big "Uh O"
Well I am currently out on my mancation in easter Oregon and I decided to try this thing out, so I bore sighted since Im only plinkin at about 100yds and under and I will say this WOW WOW is this thing fun. It is dead on and it hasnt fallen off or come loose and I have put about 500 rounds threw my AR with it on. This thing is fun!!! Now I know the hard core guys and some novice guys are gonna call me lucky or "just give it time it will be crap" but for a very affordable sight and holographic red dot in one you might wanna give it a shot or not but I can honestly say it has been great this weekend. Just wanted to share with you guys, hope everyone had a great weekend and fyi to any Madras/Bend shooters, they are really pushin to turn BLM land into wilderness so make sure you bring an extra trash bag with ya and help keep it clean.

I've had hit or miss with them. Good for cheap red dots and scopes but don't expect anything special. I had a red dot (ddab) that would not zero. Itg took three different ones to get a good one. Ill stick with putting them on airsoft guns and save up for eotechs or aimpoints for my rifles.

As I've posted before; NCStar red dots/holos are good. They just are. Not much can go wrong with them and I'd estimate that anecdotal evidence puts that part of their optic line at about an 80% reliability rate. The scopes though...no good.

As I've posted before; NCStar red dots/holos are good. They just are. Not much can go wrong with them and I'd estimate that anecdotal evidence puts that part of their optic line at about an 80% reliability rate. The scopes though...no good.

I used the scope all weekend and it was great, like I said I was only plinkin around 100 and under but it was dead on.

I've three or four of the NCStar 3-9x40 scopes on various calibres and have had excellent results with all of them. Sure, they're not F-class, or even 300 yarders, but they're working for me right now.....

I have a NcStar 6x32 that worked great on my SKS and continues to to work well on my 10/22. Would I put it on my .308? No. but it has represented good value for the money. Obviously other people have had different experiences....

In 2008, while in Afghanistan, I ordered an NC-Star Tactical 3x9 scope with a BCD and red/green lighted reticle from CombatHunting.com for $125. I have carried it now twice to Afghanistan, once to Iraq, and used it at home on my AR-15E23. The only problem that I have had with it was that the adjusting screw on the underside of the mount sometimes loosens, requiring tightening with an allen wrench: It needs a little Lock-Tite love. I use it on a 1/2-inch riser on the flat-top M4 or AR-15, and have mounted a PVS-14B NVD forward of it to use for night engagements. I zero it at three hundred meters, and have engaged targets at 500 meters with the BDC, distance measured with a Bushnell Legend 1200 rangefinder. This scope has served me well, and I will continue to use it.
A note on the company: Last year, while prepping for another trip downrange, I lost the cap for the elevation adjustment knob. I called NC-Star USA, and they sent me two replacements, plus several batteries for the lighted reticle - all for free; it turns out that they have a limited-lifetime warranty which they take seriously.
Right now, I am in the market for a good quality, yet inexpensive, spotting scope and understand that NC-Star produces such: I will be looking at their product quite seriously.

Bottom line: NC-Star products may not be on par with Zeiss or Zwarovski, but I think that they are every bit as good as Bushnell, Weaver, and Nikon. They are reasonably priced, and well supported by their manufacturer.

I have an NcStar scope that came on the Mark II pistol I traded for a short while back. It was assembled incorrectly. The crosshairs are rotated about 5 degrees counter clockwise. Needless to say that makes it somewhat difficult to sight in with. As soon as I get a chance, I will upgrade to at least a Redfield quality scope.

Why don't you contact the company and see what they can do:

1 (866) 627-8278

<broken link removed>

Please understand that I don't represent the company; only that I have had positive experience with the ONE product I purchased and the support I received for it.

I've three or four of the NCStar 3-9x40 scopes on various calibres and have had excellent results with all of them. Sure, they're not F-class, or even 300 yarders, but they're working for me right now.....

I put one on my bolt action .270 and removed the mid-70's 2x7 Nikon Gold Ring. (It went onto an AR.) I got the NCStar new in a trade of a bunch of things. I like the NCStar a lot and have had no problems with it, even out to 500 yards. I won't put one on a SHTF favorite yet because I don't know if it's really dependable, but I like what I see so far for the money.

I have several NcStar scopes. Most are good scopes for the money. One Lemon out of the bunch was a variable power scope that shifts POI when changing magnification level. POI jumps about 2" @100 yards when using it on my AR-16. The rest are dead on and work well out beyond 200 yards. It's going back to NcStar for warranty repair/replacement. NBD.

Just remember, busting an NcStar Scope by dropping the rifle isn't near as painful as trashing that $800 (or more) "Big Name Tactical Scope".

They may not be as "bright", have as fine a reticle, or as precise as some scopes selling in the 8-15 times as more category but then again, they don't cost 8-15 times as much. Can afford to keep a couple of backups in your pack if you think you're going to be breaking them and still have money left over.

A further comment on the company (NC Star):
(As from my earlier posts on this thread) I purchased a TacStar III, 3-9x42 scope through CombatHunting.com, in 2008, while I was on my second tour to Afghanistan. I used that scope on two Afghan and one Iraq deployments, and on my Bushmaster AR15E23 while home between deployments.

I just zeroed the scope back onto the AR15, after returning from my third (and final) Afghan mission. While at the range, using it on 9-power, something shifted inside the diopter focus mechanism and I could no longer achieve crisp eyepiece focus while using it above 6-power. The zero was unaffected, as afterwards I put 20 rounds of Federal XM193 55 grain rounds through paper at 100, 200, and 300 yards without any misses.

I called the company, talked to a service rep: He was going to have me send in the scope, and they would replace it for free - due to their limited lifetime warranty. However, because I had used it down-range, he had me send him several pictures of me, with the scope mounted on my M4 in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he sent me a free scope without having to send in the old one. It arrives Monday.

It seems that they have a Military Support Program which is quite generous for folks who deploy and use their products.

Cheers to NC Star! http://www.ncstar.com

I almost pulled the trigger on an illuminated reticle NStar @ $100 for sale in these forums, but read up on that particular scope and found that people were losing zero when they changed the magnification level... zeroed at x3, lose it @ x4 on up... zero @ x5, lose it @ the other levels.... that's too bad. I don't really want to spring for a $1000 optic on my M4-gery, but I'm not going to fritter away $1000 in $100-$250 increments either....

I am actually in the process of contemplating which cheap scope to buy for my .22 plinker rifle. Good info in here regarding NCstar. While there are mixed reviews, as long as they have good customer service and are willing to fix or replace poorly functioning scope then sign me up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top