JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Noth Carolina Sheriff has placed locked safes in all public schools in his district. The safes contain AR-15's, spare magazines and breaching tools. His purpose is to have ON site access for first responders to have the tools they need to respond to active shooting threats. This action is in direct response to the Uvalde incident and unnecessary delays evidenced due to the lack of adequate reponse equipment. (So they claimed)

Anti-gun groups are flipping their lids!! :s0155:

It's refreshing to see someone actually doing something to harden their schools and might actually make a difference in LE's ability to quickly respond to these types of threats.

GOOD on ya, Sir~!

This is what needs to happen along with training everyone, faculty and clerks, even the janitors.
Free states are wonderful, aren't they? :s0116:

BECAUSE

A03F339E-B609-464A-9BE2-961124903C18.jpeg

... training everyone, faculty and clerks, even the janitors.
Agreed! I guess in that Sheriff's district, the SRO's are also trained and have access to the safes, but I fully agree that training should be expanded to multiple on site individuals... to include all willing school district employees being trained and certified access.

Ideally, CC would be allowed on school grounds, but that's a much more difficult battle.

This Sheriff is certainly moving in the right direction though! Not just the weaponry but also the breaching tools.

I'm a little confused. Who are these weapons for exactly?

Don't their deputies have rifles in their car...which should be infinitely quicker to obtain and utilize when rolling into a school shooter situation than having to make your way into the school, find the right office, get the safe open, etc.

If these are just extra guns, then ok I guess. But if the deputies don't have rifles in their cars, that is a problem. Or if the rifles are for the on site school resource officers...who obviously can't carry rifles around with them on campus...that makes sense. But the piece said pretty clearly that the guns were for deputies too. Time is of the essence in mass shootings. The deputies need to be rolling into campus well prepared.

And in addition to breaching tools, why aren't they putting a master set of labeled keys in the safe as well...and ballistic shields? There should really be at least two designated administrators whose job it is to meet the responding officers with a master set of keys so officers don't have to go hunting for the things.

I'm a little confused. Who are these weapons for exactly?

Don't their deputies have rifles in their car...which should be infinitely quicker to obtain and utilize when rolling into a school shooter situation than having to make your way into the school, find the right office, get the safe open, etc.
Individual police departments may vary in what their officers have on hand within their vehicles. Either by policy or by officer preferences. AR's? Bean bag or breaching shottys? Ballistic shields or other riot control equipment?

The report doesn't specify what that Sheriff's officers carry and likely not the full inventory of the safes contents. It would seem prudent, and likely, there maybe be spare vests, a ballistic sheild, smoke or stun grenades.... or... even spare keys, but just not specifically noted in the brief news clip. Who knows.

IIRC the Sheriff stated the contents of the safes were for LEO's and SRO's, eliminating the need to head back to their vehicles for such weaponry, tools or additional ammo. It's all on site now, a wise idea indeed.

If fact, I'd like to see Sheriff Pat Garrett do something similar here in Washington County. Along with counselors, mental health professionals and SRO's in every single school.

This is a blanket statement but it's accurate with the majority of Law Enforcement Agencies across the US… long guns are usually only in every 3rd patrol vehicle. That means it's possible that one out of 9 actually have an AR. Too many variables as to why. Could I look at it as the negative reasons of why they don't have them in their vehicle and go in with them? Sure. I rather look at it as a better solution than what the far side of things and the let's quickly blame everything else.

The next thing is (outside of training) is police unions looking at the people that they support and having the difficult conversation with them when they are underperforming. Doesn't matter what area they are underperforming in. No I'm not referring to increasing tickets or smacking people around.

Ironic how people whine about the taxes that they pay for their property but they immediately want more school funding, more police protection, more criminals incarcerated, more firemen, more medic's, more community resources and the list goes on; yet they don't want more money taken from them.

Anyway I'm done because it's pretty much an echo chamber when pro-gun and pro-logic people talk about common sense stuff with likeminded individuals.
:s0137::s0146:

Along with counselors, mental health professionals and SRO's in every single school.
I dunno. SRO's I can get behind but schools typically already have counselors (granted, mainly for academia), and personally, I think our public schools have already stepped way beyond their mandate to "educate" fundamentals and basic course content.

I don't think it should be in the schools job description to teach values, adjust childrens morale compasses or meet their mental health needs with mediocre "professionals" following a school districts agenda.

Those type of things should fall solely within a parents pervue. That said, having free or at least affordable mental health programs for parents to access would be a good thing. That also allows them the freedom to choose a provider that they feel comfortable with and can trust to have their childs best interest at heart... vs... following a state or school district agenda/policies.

Maybe I could see mental health counselors, but they should have to be limited to assessment only. Any type of therapy or treatment should still be done outside of the schools pervue.

I know some people will argue that they aren't getting that kind of support at home, so schools have to step in, but my reply would be, "and how is that working out for us??" 🤣

Programs to increase parental awareness and have more readily accessible, and affordable, mental health care might be something to consider instead of putting it all under the education system umbrella.

Last Edited:
IIRC the Sheriff stated the contents of the safes were for LEO's and SRO's, eliminating the need to head back to their vehicles for such weaponry, tools or additional ammo. It's all on site now, a wise idea indeed.

If fact, I'd like to see Sheriff Pat Garrett do something similar here in Washington County. Along with counselors, mental health professionals and SRO's in every single school.
But but but at all cost a lot of money and the powers that be in communist states need that $$$ for social programs like rainbow sidewalks, CRT and gender curriculum in indoctrination in public schools Indoctrination centers.

Virtue signaling and pandering to his base ;)
There is probably a little truth to that, but at least it actually is a more "common sense" step toward hardening their public schools and sure beats the heck out of whining for more gun control law.

My first though, being the slightly warped type, was.... "Cool! Now they only have to try and find the keys or break into the 'secure location' where the safe is.. and then remember the combo to get into it. That'll happen!" ;)

The potential to make a difference is still there though. Even if it's only giving pause to a would be evil doer to reconsider a target known to have firearms readily available. Not so soft now, is it!

The other thing mentioned was the Sheriff having several "panic buttons" installed for more immediate notification of a threat and lockdown. I dunno why ALL schools don't already have those.

"North Carolina's Madison County School District has put an AR-15 in a safe in every school in the county so the guns can be accessed for classroom defense in case of attack."

This is a few of the comments from this article and it rings true.

"For sure. The threat of a school shooter is pretty remote, while the daily indoctrination in government schools is damaging our kids day after day. If the goal is truly to save our youth the first crucial step is getting them out of these crucibles of anti-God, anti-America propaganda."

"I would think taking back the schools from the Federal Government indoctrination and the Teachers Unions is what needs to happen. They are our schools after all. We pay for them."

""The indoctrination, drug pushing and sexualization of children in public schools is much more harmful and arguably even deadlier (especially in the long term) than a random school shooting.""

Last Edited:
Great idea!

My wife has been a first grade teacher for 25 years. She "adopts" a couple dozen urchins every year. She's trapped a cricket under a bath mat instead of killing it, but I think she has the mindset to take out any threat to "her kids".

Problem #1 is, here in Massachusetts, it's illegal to carry on school grounds. Problem #2 is that neither of us has ever even held an AR-15. We shoot revolvers, and practice head shots. Aim small....

If AR-15s are available to teachers, the sheriff better provide above-average training. Or provide a safe large enough to accomodate a wheelgun in addition.

...the sheriff better provide above-average training.
Yeah. It get's mentioned over and over and over again... "they need trainig too!", however, I dunno if we need to keep harping on that since it should be a foregone conclusion. I hightly doubt that Sheriff's plan is... "just start passing out guns to everyone". ;)

I believe it's fair to assume that access would be limited to only those with adequate, certified and ongoing training.

Or provide a safe large enough to accomodate a wheelgun in addition.
You might be surprised to discover how many proficient shooters have never even held a revolver, so better put a Glock in there as well, and how about that old fart that spits on the ground if it's not a 1911, not going leave him out are we? But all those might be too much for a dedicated target shooter that has only shot 22's, so toss one of them in too! And what about those upland game shooters? Guess we need a couple different kinds of shotguns for them as well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top