JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
namac is right, it's the patriotic thing to do, non compliance, shall not be infringed sort of thing we need to do. This is what makes this country great, folks that will stand up ( quietly) and not conform to unjust laws!

Not sure where you read that, I was told I could never sell, trade, let someone borrow or anything else to that matter with a 80% lower I have built.

Well, you were told incorrectly. My info comes directly from ATF websites and publications.

If you are considering state law, that is a bit different since both WA and OR have restrictive BCG laws that may make it a crime even to hand your firearm to another person at the range. However, that it is a firearm from a 80% lower makes no difference.

Hey, I'm just another guy on the internet. Research it yourself! Have fun, it took me quite awhile of sorting thru websites, ATF letters, etc.

If you are asking me to provide sources for the info, I'm not gonna do that. I could refer you to an earlier thread on this same subject tho. The thread I started went 10pgs long I believe. Lots of conflicting opinions. But IMO the only ones that matter come from the ATF.

The "not for sale or distribution" clause refers to engaging in the business of selling/distributing. Later in the same brief, the ATF states:

"Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future."

namac is right, it's the patriotic thing to do, non compliance, shall not be infringed sort of thing we need to do. This is what makes this country great, folks that will stand up ( quietly) and not conform to unjust laws!

I've said it once & I'll say it again till the cows come home;:cool:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson.

This loophole nonsense is getting a bit out of hand with the gunshow loophole, the Charleston loophole and now the ghost gun loophole. Pretty soon they will be saying a loophole in the law allows an arsenal of more than one gun and 4 rounds of ammunition, or a loophole in the law allows for you to prevent an intruder in your home from fulfilling his needs with your teenage daughter

Id like to close the loophole that allows these idiots to report this garbage while they have their head firmly planted in their poophole! Id love to introduce them to my good friends, Skip, Neal and Bob! Skip on over, Neal on down and Bob on this!.:mad:

Last Edited:
I never gave 80% lowers much thought until the last year. I really want to buy a couple over the next year and stock up on things while I can. Just like etrain said. Get out in front of it before it is to late.

Now who wants to show me how to turn a 80% into a 100% :D

It's actually very easy, plus You Tube has great videos showing the entire process. I was in the same boat as you were last year, bought (2) two 80% lowers and the rest is history...I may or may not have made a AR 5.56 rifle & a 300 Blackout pistol.

Does anyone know if certain brands are better than others? Are there any go-to brands, or any to steer clear of?
It all comes down to the jig you buy. I have the 80percentarms jig, fits all forged mil-spec lowers and of course 80%arms lowers, but doesn't fit New Frontier lowers. I only use New Frontier lowers now, but I also only use the side plates to hold in my mill. I use the ar blueprints to mill my lowers on my mill.

Stay away from the Anderson jigs , they don't work very well and it only takes a few thousands on the trigger pins holes to have a mil-spec trigger not function correctly on the second sear. Don't ask me how I know :confused:

Harbor freight hobby mills work wonders though. No fancy CNC machines. But your average idiot will not pull that off without damaging it I think. Buddy tried to do one and ended up destroying a couple of them.

Last Edited:
The "not for sale or distribution" clause refers to engaging in the business of selling/distributing. Later in the same brief, the ATF states:

"Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future."

Can you provide a link to that? It seems the ATF may have removed this answer from their page and I am not seeing it in the posted CFR either. Wonder if it has been updated and or changed recently?

Can you provide a link to that? It seems the ATF may have removed this answer from their page and I am not seeing it in the posted CFR either. Wonder if it has been updated and or changed recently?

Sorry, I can't find it again. You know how the internet is. Scads of info but never what you want. That is why it took so long the first time I researched it last year. Lots of contradictory info. I think the ATF does it on purpose. :(

27CRF478.92 relates only to how to mark receivers... height depth etc.

But do they need to be heat treated after machining? If so it kind of takes the DIY aspect out of it and where would you get it done.
No idea, I cant even find information on how to complete it. It is probably like a FAL 80% receiver. Very difficult and would require a well stocked machine shop. So probably better just to build it from scratch at that point

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top