JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego police say a Navy SEAL is on life support after accidentally shooting himself in the head.

Police officers were called to a home in Pacific Beach at about 2 a.m. Thursday on a report that a man had been playing with a gun and accidentally shot himself.

Cali says the man was showing guns to a woman he'd met earlier at a bar and put a pistol he believed was unloaded to his head. Cali says he then pulled the trigger.

In a statement, Commodore Collin Green says the Naval Special Warfare community is saddened by the incident and extends "our hearts and prayers" to the family in this difficult time.

Isn't the quote something like: "Familiarity breeds a kind of complacency"

I don't know I have owned a couple of my handguns for over 25 years and they still scare the hell out of me. I'm so anal about handling safety. And the thought of playing with a firearm is like against my DNA. Playing with a firearm while drinking is like nothing I can imagine.

I believe this is a text book example.

The CBS story says he recently graduated from SEAL school. They're probably referring to BUD/S. If that's the case, he wouldn't be that familiar with firearms as we would seem to think. All that aside, it's sad that this happened to a future warrior and since he was trying to impress the girl who was terrified of guns, I'm sure she's even worse off now psychologically. I'm hoping I'm wrong but she'll probably be another advocate of more restrictions.

Really, Dad Always tought me that any gun is loaded until you verify, you the person holding the gun, even if passing it, check it for yourself

Nothing against you or your Dad, but a firearm is ALWAYS loaded. Anytime I have to pull the trigger on a firearm to disassemble it I always point it in a safe direction to do so. This is after I've visually and physically inspected the chamber to make sure it is empty.

homer-doh.jpg

Wow. So morale of the story is, no matter how much training you have, firearms + booze + chicks don't mix.
Sad.

Firearms and chicks are fine. Add booze and the 2am "I need to get laid" so I am gonna try to impress her by forgetting ALL the safey rules and well bad crap happens to good people.

The CBS story says he recently graduated from SEAL school. They're probably referring to BUD/S. If that's the case, he wouldn't be that familiar with firearms as we would seem to think. All that aside, it's sad that this happened to a future warrior and since he was trying to impress the girl who was terrified of guns, I'm sure she's even worse off now psychologically. I'm hoping I'm wrong but she'll probably be another advocate of more restrictions.

Not necessarily true. They get plenty (PLENTY) of gun time during BUD/S. However, if the guy had just graduated SQT then what he did to himself is an inexcusable and unexplainable example of stupidity ... as if it wouldn't have been bad enough if he was just a dude walking out of Great Lakes. All in all a friggin' preventable tragedy.

Nothing against you or your Dad, but a firearm is ALWAYS loaded. Anytime I have to pull the trigger on a firearm to disassemble it I always point it in a safe direction to do so. This is after I've visually and physically inspected the chamber to make sure it is empty.
Oh sorry for leading you on to assume that meant you could point it at ones self or others, his 2nd rule, never point at anything you don't want to shoot/kill.

All that aside, it's sad that this happened to a future warrior.......

Obviously he wasn't much of anybody's warrior.May have been a good thing that he did this to himself instead of killing someone else out on a mission.
This is sad,but I mean come on,how much training do you need to know not to put a gun to your head?
My 8yo grandson knows this much

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top