Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Navy Seal shoots himself

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jbett98, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego police say a Navy SEAL is on life support after accidentally shooting himself in the head.

Police officers were called to a home in Pacific Beach at about 2 a.m. Thursday on a report that a man had been playing with a gun and accidentally shot himself.

Cali says the man was showing guns to a woman he'd met earlier at a bar and put a pistol he believed was unloaded to his head. Cali says he then pulled the trigger.

In a statement, Commodore Collin Green says the Naval Special Warfare community is saddened by the incident and extends "our hearts and prayers" to the family in this difficult time.

2. foomanchu

foomanchu Milwaukie, OR Member

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to this guy, but what happened to basic firearms safety?

3. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  4. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Wow. So morale of the story is, no matter how much training you have, firearms + booze + chicks don't mix.
    Sad.

5. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Isn't the quote something like: "Familiarity breeds a kind of complacency"

borrowedsig and (deleted member) like this.
  6. itchyfinger

itchyfinger Oklahoma New Member

I believe this is a text book example.

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't know I have owned a couple of my handguns for over 25 years and they still scare the hell out of me. I'm so anal about handling safety. And the thought of playing with a firearm is like against my DNA. Playing with a firearm while drinking is like nothing I can imagine.

B-Towner and (deleted member) like this.
  8. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

This is why you don't play Russian Roulette with an autoloading pistol.

9. optiontrigger

optiontrigger Snohomish County, WA Member

The CBS story says he recently graduated from SEAL school. They're probably referring to BUD/S. If that's the case, he wouldn't be that familiar with firearms as we would seem to think. All that aside, it's sad that this happened to a future warrior and since he was trying to impress the girl who was terrified of guns, I'm sure she's even worse off now psychologically. I'm hoping I'm wrong but she'll probably be another advocate of more restrictions.

10. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

Really, Dad Always tought me that any gun is loaded until you verify, you the person holding the gun, even if passing it, check it for yourself

11. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Nothing against you or your Dad, but a firearm is ALWAYS loaded. Anytime I have to pull the trigger on a firearm to disassemble it I always point it in a safe direction to do so. This is after I've visually and physically inspected the chamber to make sure it is empty.

borrowedsig and (deleted member) like this.
  12. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

homer-doh.jpg

13. Private R Wiggum

Private R Wiggum RCMP Barracks Member

[video=youtube;0uytPO0UaDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uytPO0UaDM[/video]

jvbutter, tlfreek, tank3d and 13 others like this.
  14. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Best quote from the video "Most of you aren't tactical". Damn mall ninja's.

15. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

Firearms and liquor don`t mix, feel sorry for him but he definately knew better..

16. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Firearms and chicks are fine. Add booze and the 2am "I need to get laid" so I am gonna try to impress her by forgetting ALL the safey rules and well bad crap happens to good people.

Not necessarily true. They get plenty (PLENTY) of gun time during BUD/S. However, if the guy had just graduated SQT then what he did to himself is an inexcusable and unexplainable example of stupidity ... as if it wouldn't have been bad enough if he was just a dude walking out of Great Lakes. All in all a friggin' preventable tragedy.

17. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

18. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

Oh sorry for leading you on to assume that meant you could point it at ones self or others, his 2nd rule, never point at anything you don't want to shoot/kill.

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Obviously he wasn't much of anybody's warrior.May have been a good thing that he did this to himself instead of killing someone else out on a mission.
    This is sad,but I mean come on,how much training do you need to know not to put a gun to your head?
    My 8yo grandson knows this much

20. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

No matter how "unloaded" a firearm is i cannot bring myself to put a gun to my head. Period.