JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She's been CO of a helicopter squadron and XO of a carrier. She may well have what it takes.
I may be mistaken, but I always assumed that to command a CV, it was a sort of unspoken thing that one had to have been either a fighter or attack jock. I served under seven different COs during my time in the Navy, three of whom rose to flag rank and moved on, and they had all been fighter or attack jocks... no, I am mistaken.

One of them had been an H46 pilot. But he was one of the Navy's "peacocks", Some fourth generation academy grad who was rumored to have beached his CV back in the late 80s. Lautenbacher III (the turd). I dont recall the first name. If you were an enlisted man, this guy wouldn't even (lower himself to) look you in the eye. Oh well what do I know, Im just an old swab.

I may be mistaken, but I always assumed that to command a CV, it was a sort of unspoken thing that one had to have been either a fighter or attack jock. I served under seven different COs during my time in the Navy, three of whom rose to flag rank and moved on, and they had all been fighter or attack jocks... no, I am mistaken.
They can be pilots or NFOs.
One of them had been an H46 pilot. But he was one of the Navy's "peacocks", Some fourth generation academy grad who was rumored to have beached his CV back in the late 80s. Lautenbacher III (the turd). I dont recall the first name.
The only carrier I remember running aground in '80s was the time the Enterprise ran aground in 1983 in SF Bay. But the Capt's name was Kelly.

Interestingly, the Enterprise also ran aground off San Diego in 1986. The CO's name was Leuschner.

Neat? A qualified person is a qualified person. Surprised it took this long

They can be pilots or NFOs.

The only carrier I remember running aground in '80s was the time the Enterprise ran aground in 1983 in SF Bay. But the Capt's name was Kelly.

Interestingly, the Enterprise also ran aground off San Diego in 1986. The CO's name was Leuschner.

Thanks for this. Like I said, it was just scutlebutt. Name is similar. I almost wish that it had been him.

Thanks for this. Like I said, it was just scutlebutt. Name is similar. I almost wish that it had been him.
It could have happened, but I couldn't find any reference to it. The name rings a bell for some reason, but I don't know why. Looks like he had a father and a grandfather who both made admiral, tho. Someone by that name was also Asst. Sec. of either Navy or Defense.

She's been CO of a helicopter squadron and XO of a carrier. She may well have what it takes.
As already stated, carrier skippers have to be a Naval Aviator with a spotless record.

They also have to pass the full-on nuke school and have a successful command rotation, as captain, of a deep-draft vessel.

It is insanely competitive. If you choose to go that carrier command path (if invited) you are committing to a ten year path of training / command experience all with no guarantee that there will even be an available billit, let alone having the chops to last long enough and perform well enough that you would be selected.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top