JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry. It's new service. I'm running service to my new shop. The leak is compressed air I put in the line. You have to pressure test it at 20lbs. For 24 hours. Can't lose pressure to pass test.

If you call the gas company will come out pronto. The last thing they want is headlines in the paper tomorrow "House blows up due to gas leak" I had a small leak years ago that even their snifter could not detect but they stayed there until it was detected, It was a pipe putting a very light pressure on the furnace gas shut off valve. Shimmed the pipe away from the valve and all was fine after that. I have always had a super sensitive nose for the stuff they put in the gas because as it comes out of the ground it is odorless.

I had a faulty test meter gauge that gave me fits when I was pressuring up a new threaded 1/2" black iron pipe line that I was installing in a house remodel.
Finally figured out it wasn't my work, but a cheap tester gauge.

Go to a class to get certified or call someone who is. I took the time several years back and never did regret understanding a bit more than I didn't know about natural gas and propane.
I lost a good neighbor in a gas explosion, he set up his water heater with one improper fitting went out for dinner and blew himself to heck lighting a cigarette on his way into his living room later that evening.

If the connection between the pipe and the metal riser is leaking, I would return it to the place where you bought it.
There's no field repair that I know of.

If you purchase a system stay safe, finish with the same system. All parts in a new system should match and that is achieved by having a license to purchase a complete system due to your training and passing a simple test. You will not be able to purchase the best and safest systems at your local Walmart store.

I prefer the direct burial gas line that is made to order and sold through wholesale plumbing distributors.
You specify the exact length and a company cuts the required length to order and installs the metal riser pipe fittings on each end.
Home Depot sells all the materials for do it yourselfers, but it looks rather flimsy to me.

Commercial riser:

Plastic-Gas-Piping-845-IAPs.jpg

Home Depot push on riser:

home-flex-pipe-18-440-010-64_1000.jpg

Education is a good thing when it comes to Gas. Knowing it all and never learning how to assemble fittings, or a system correctly is irresponsible, not because you endanger your life but the lives of others. Gas Tight / might buy you lunch - Just to show you a few things about the tools, the correct sealants and leek detectors involved in the trade. They will even give you a fancy diploma if you ask for one. It takes about two hours to be educated in gas if you are not needing to do commercial work.

I have installed gas furnaces and water heaters in my homes with a homeowners permit over the last 40 years. All were inspected and approved by the building inspectors and I think black iron pipe is better than all the newer ways. Of course I may be a little old fashioned but I have seen too much of the latest and greatest fail down the road. Think wafer wood, PVC water pipe, pressure treated plywood that is very flammable and others. My next door neighbor was crowing about his new roof in the late 80's that looked like wood shingles and had a 50 year warranty. Within 10 years he had to replace it with an asphalt composition roof. Just saying.

I have installed gas furnaces and water heaters in my homes with a homeowners permit over the last 40 years. All were inspected and approved by the building inspectors and I think black iron pipe is better than all the newer ways. Of course I may be a little old fashioned but I have seen too much of the latest and greatest fail down the road. Think wafer wood, PVC water pipe, pressure treated plywood that is very flammable and others. My next door neighbor was crowing about his new roof in the late 80's that looked like wood shingles and had a 50 year warranty. Within 10 years he had to replace it with an asphalt composition roof. Just saying.
'
Having been a General Contractor for thirty six years and in
building, Hi-rise, Bridges and road construction then shop steward and general foremen once before that. I have to agree with you. New is not always better and until the day I retired I never used one piece of wafer board or placed anything on a side wall for the weather barrier but ASTM certified 15lb felt, Bugs won't go near the stuff and plywood always stays together longer than wafer board.
Since they started using exterior glue between the sheets of plywood in the late 1960, it is perfect for sheer and longevity.

Gas has made some interesting advances involving plastic and stainless steel. I did use plastic underground and press together non reverse fittings below ground in our home, when I built it. Our soil is very acidic in fact it was off the PH scale in the test kit I used at the time.
I did use Black pipe once out of the ground nearest the footing and under the house. That stuff is not as thick as it once was but it is for the most part in the dry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top