JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was on the path toward acid reflux about five years ago. Big time. Found myself popping more and more Tums each day, chewing them like candy. Was on the verge of seeking a medical prescription. Then got wise and did my own research via medical journals. Found the surprising truth. Turns out that, like most people, I was making the problem worse by taking Tums, not better. The problem as we age is not too much acid, it is not enough acid in our gut. You know who has (by far) the highest concentration of stomach acid? Children, and when was the last time you heard a child complain of acid indigestion? The medical journals indicated that the answer was to increase the amount of acid in our stomachs so we help close leakage into our esophagus. Sounds counterintuitive, but that's apparently how our bodies work. Taking Tums and similar just kept reducing stomach acid, and yeah, that provided some temporary relief, but overall I was just making the problem worse and worse, like an addict. So I stopped the Tums entirely and gradually came out of it. Now I can eat anything I want, literally anything, morning, noon, or late night, and the more acid food has the better. I've had virtually no issues with stomach acid the past five years. Nada. I'm no medical doctor so to each their own health care, but if you are like I was and taking more and more antacid products, I'd suggest you're doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing. Do your own research and find out. Can't say enough how glad I am that I finally woke up and smelled the coffee, so to speak. And all those lazy-a$$ doctors out there who are facilitating addiction by prescribing antacid medications when they know full well that all a patient has to do is increase their stomach acid, shame on them.

Was on the path toward acid reflux about five years ago. Big time. Found myself popping more and more Tums each day, chewing them like candy. Was on the verge of seeking a medical prescription. Then got wise and did my own research via medical journals. Found the surprising truth. Turns out that, like most people, I was making the problem worse by taking Tums, not better. The problem as we age is not too much acid, it is not enough acid in our gut. You know who has (by far) the highest concentration of stomach acid? Children, and when was the last time you heard a child complain of acid indigestion? The medical journals indicated that the answer was to increase the amount of acid in our stomachs so we help close leakage into our esophagus. Sounds counterintuitive, but that's apparently how our bodies work. Taking Tums and similar just kept reducing stomach acid, and yeah, that provided some temporary relief, but overall I was just making the problem worse and worse, like an addict. So I stopped the Tums entirely and gradually came out of it. Now I can eat anything I want, literally anything, morning, noon, or late night, and the more acid food has the better. I've had virtually no issues with stomach acid the past five years. Nada. I'm no medical doctor so to each their own health care, but if you are like I was and taking more and more antacid products, I'd suggest you're doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing. Do your own research and find out. Can't say enough how glad I am that I finally woke up and smelled the coffee, so to speak. And all those lazy-a$$ doctors out there who are facilitating addiction by prescribing antacid medications when they know full well that all a patient has to do is increase their stomach acid, shame on them.
I have always thought the same about antacids but never bothered to research it.

The one thing that worried my is I have a friend that got kidney stones at a young age and he ate antacids all the time. It seems to me if your body has way too much calcium it has to do something with it and I always thought the excess calcium lead to kidney stones.

I've always used anatacids only when I really have to. I need to research what diet etc to use cuz it's getting worse. Aloe helps after a few days but doesn't last that long in the fridge. I also want to read up on that vinegar method that several posters mentioned above. That sounds promising.

Antacids treat the symptom. It's better if you can cure the disease. The majority of people have an imbalance of bacteria in their gut that causes heartburn and flatulence among other things.

Our diet is chock full of high glycemic index carbs, artificial colors, and preservatives (AKA poisons) that are the root cause of most digestive distress.

Some people have issues that go beyond this, but IMO 95% of people can address through diet.

I found something interesting with Prilosec after my Dr told me to try it. I ended up getting bloody noses and lo & behold, one of the side effects is just that. They were the gushers that tool a long time to stop. Oddly enough, laying off white bread all but eliminated the acid reflux which has at this point in life scarred up my esophagus. If I do have any issues, Alkaseltzer solves the issue.
WHITE BREAD IS POISON!!!!!my dad was a baker for over 25 years and loved his white bread. he passed away too young from colon cancer. you want bread with unbleached flower, i eat nothing but sourdough bread. even when i have a hamburger i throw the bun in the trash, ( or most of it)

Get your advice from a real doctor. Not somebody that plays one on the internet.o_O
yes see your doctor and he will treat your SYMTOMS, not the actual underlying problem. natural remedys do work if you think trial and error. look at dr. OZ major flip flopper, they only go by the latest article on the medical journals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top