JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow. I had no idea those things cost that much these days. I used to have a few of the European cans like that around here; I think I may still have one out in my storage building. The last one I bought was decades ago, French Army surplus. I think it came from Cheaper Than Dirt when they used to have good stuff at reasonable prices. I think I paid less than $10 for it. I wouldn't have paid more than that; we could still find US cans at garage sales for $5 or less. I still have a few of those too. Plus the flexible spouts for them. The European kind take a diff. spout of course, it has a pair of claws that kind of cam onto flanges on the can opening.

I looked on Google just now for "European Gas Can" and a number showed up, some under $50. Including Walmart. I don't know if they are the same quality as the ones shown in OP.

Pretty amazing, even plain plastic gas jug like you sometimes see laying along the freeway cost $15 or more.

I have a Surecan for bikes and quads. You can rest it on the tank or seat while you fill. I've had it a couple of years now and it still works like when I bought it. The screw cap is kind of a PITA until you get used to it.

edit: The trick is to unscrew the cap to the spout before you pick the can up to pour. The cap is just a dust cover. The lever next to the handle operates a valve. And if you look near the bottom under that yellow sticker you'll see another handgrip.

Click to enlarge
1.jpg

Last Edited:
I've had oldOldOLD Jerry cans that finally just gave up; I've had plastic 5 gallon cans that finally simply wore out; I've had a raft of various 60s era 2 1/2 gal Lawn Boy style that still work fine except the caps are getting touchy; I bought a new Wayvian 5 gal. about 10 years ago, it still sparkles good as new. Orginal Cali safety spout sucked, complained, they sent a new old style spout that works fine.

Got a small collection of nearly unused examples of such as Eagle & a few other odd ball safety style, but the rubber gaskets on them are all cracked.

Just ordered an Eagle "Made in USA" to see what that means these days.

Valpro, Wavian, et. al.

Get the name brand, not the cheap knock-offs with no brand name but "NATO spec" or "mil-spec". If they have the screw on cap instead of the clamp spout, probably not good either.

For water, Scepter water cans are supposed to be good?

For water, Scepter water cans are supposed to be good?
They are. Least ways surplus ones are.

As are surplus scepter fuel cans.

They were getting difficult to source when I last bought them. No idea how difficult these days. Most likely best chances would be checking surplus dealers near large bases, if one happens to be travelling thru.

They are. Least ways surplus ones are.

As are surplus scepter fuel cans.

They were getting difficult to source when I last bought them. No idea how difficult these days. Most likely best chances would be checking surplus dealers near large bases, if one happens to be travelling thru.
Amazon seemed to have decent prices on these - plastic Scepter 20L cans.

I have the old jerry cans from bought some fifty years ago albeit I have had to modify the spout to fit the smaller gas ports with restrictions of today and some years ago had to replace the rubber in the cap, but are still going strong.
I also have one Nato can which I actually like better because its curves and voids give better grip to hold when pouring.
If you are looking for long term and ruggedness, stay away from plastic cans, use something like Sta-bill, and make sure you get a good spout.
Also, I have seen some pretty thin metal cans called Nato cans, avoid the cheap thin ones, for long term investment, you wont be disappointed buying quality.

I have the old jerry cans from bought some fifty years ago albeit I have had to modify the spout to fit the smaller gas ports with restrictions of today and some years ago had to replace the rubber in the cap, but are still going strong.
I also have one Nato can which I actually like better because its curves and voids give better grip to hold when pouring.
If you are looking for long term and ruggedness, stay away from plastic cans, use something like Sta-bill, and make sure you get a good spout.
Also, I have seen some pretty thin metal cans called Nato cans, avoid the cheap thin ones, for long term investment, you wont be disappointed buying quality.
I've read some of the reviews on the cheap imitations, including the "stainless" ones. They are crap. The linings are usually not safe/good, and the stainless cans rust. The caps leak and most are screw on not compatible with the NATO spouts.

I use Scepter cans for fuel, and they also work on my tent stove. They are the best cans I've ever tried. I have a variety of cans for everything else...lawnmower, chainsaws, etc.

I saw a video of a tank running over a bunch of full fuel cans one at a time, and only the Scepter survived. That made my decision. I pick them up at garage sales, Craigslist, etc. Haven't had to pay over $33 a can (yet), and that was for three brand ones. Just now looked to see what they are going for...Some folks are pretty darn proud of them! Wow!

I've read some of the reviews on the cheap imitations, including the "stainless" ones. They are crap. The linings are usually not safe/good, and the stainless cans rust. The caps leak and most are screw on not compatible with the NATO spouts.
I ordered 3 of the $45 ones. Will be the guinea pig and post a review.
Have a few NATO spouts already.

I just met up with @GFO270 Locally and he gave me a great deal on some fantastic condition French surplus 1952 cans. These new online are over 100$! Insane! Red fuel liner inside looks literally brand new. He still has 5 or 6 left he's trying to sell in case any of you are interested. Pics attached. Couldn't be happier.

Edit: Any rust seen is surface rust from exposed metal. I'll have to give them a little clean up but that's expected with the age and storage 😎👍

20211019_062938.jpg 20211019_062954.jpg 20211019_062844.jpg 20211019_062849.jpg

Last Edited:
A number of years ago, I did a bunch of research and that pointed me towards the Scepter cans. The metal cans are more prone to developing rust which can cause leaks over time. There were some other considerations too, but I forget at the moment. Regardless, the Scepter cans are great and have a variety of accessories that will attach to make water filtering or whatever easier, but they also require a sort of large wrench to tighten and loosen fully (I'm sure you could get by without it, but it's an easier way to make sure). The biggest issue I had was that I wanted blue cans for water and red for gas. Most Scepter cans are tan and it was difficult to find the exact ones I wanted and I didn't want to paint them or rely on a label. Also, their red fuel cans were not US Govt safety approved (no pressure relief valve, like all newer approved cans have that tend to leak; which might be why the military has used them despite no "civilian" use approval) so I ended up having to order them from Canada. They are very thick and heavy duty. Haven't used them as much as I intended, but they've held up great for the past 7 or 8 years.

Good deal on the French surplus cans. Glad you found something that'll work.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top