JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Someone mentioned Camas. Grows wild, and can fill fields in untended areas urban and rural around here. The root is the edible portion, just be sure you don't eat the roots of the white flowering variety, known as Death Camas.
View attachment 248813

Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to differentiate between the two when not in bloom, and they often grow side by side. The name Death Camas is pretty apt - it won't just give you a tummy ache, it will almost certainly kill you.

For anyone interested in survival foods lichen is a good topic to look in to. Lichens are found year round and are something like 94% carbohydrates. I've read that of the thousands of known species only a few of them are considered non-edible. Sedums, commonly called succulents, can also be found year round and are much tastier, but with considerably less nutritional value.

Lots of edible stuff out in the woods if you know what you are looking at. How ever there are also some stuff that looks good and is not good for you. The down side is that alot of the stuff is seasonal. Picking in the late fall, winter and early spring is going to get real thin.

Right now I have more plums than I can give away (I don't like plums). Yeah, not "wild", but edible.

I also have a lot of blackberries - been eating a few as I go through them with the flail mower trying to control them. I have them growing up into trees, the canes reaching 20 feet or higher. I have scratches all over myself. Have to mow only in the morning when the humidity is high because of fire danger.

Are you serious? I have never checked.... but I've eaten plenty.:eek:

Yep. Just squeeze and you will see it pop out the stem end.
Ignore it and just keep eating them.
Won't hurt you a bit and you don't even realize they are there.
All they have eaten is the blueberry/huckleberry LOL.
They have not hurt you yet :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads