JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Euell Gibbons liked him a pine cone.. up until the habbitrail broke. just kidding!
I have a cousin that gathered, researched, authored, photographed and illustrated a couple a big books all on her own when she was 17 in Montana way before de innernet. Kinda interesting.

Give us the names of the books.

That's for sure. I only used them for bait until being stationed in NOLA, now, I eat them regularly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cra...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI3OGv1sDbxgIVwnYeCh2z5gPL

Ray
Right on. Here, it's the odd occasion that they are served by anybody.. save at the Montage or some ol' odd restaurant.. though they are literally everywhere.
I thought I heard once that more mudbugs are pulled out of Oregon than anywhere else in our nation but I'm/that is likely wrong.. that just seems wrong.

Right on. Here, it's the odd occasion that they are served by anybody.. save at the Montage or some ol' odd restaurant.. though they are literally everywhere.
I thought I heard once that more mudbugs are pulled out of Oregon than anywhere else in our nation but I'm/that is likely wrong.. that just seems wrong.

I'll just do my own boil when I get back home, instead of going to a restaurant.

From what I've heard and read LA is the top producer of crawfish in the states and maybe the world, at least according to LSU https://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdon.../pub2353enjoyinglouisianacrawfishHIGHRES1.pdf .

Ray

I'll just do my own boil when I get back home, instead of going to a restaurant.

From what I've heard and read LA is the top producer of crawfish in the states and maybe the world, at least according to LSU https://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdon.../pub2353enjoyinglouisianacrawfishHIGHRES1.pdf .

Ray
I believe you.. and me too.. I just boil em up.
Check out this monster pulled out of the Tualatin..

crwfish.jpg

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=85395

I go by my old scout training, if you don't know for sure put a small amount between your cheek and gum, if it burns or tastes bad spit it out, don't eat that. Btw most roots are edible, even if the greens are not, some are better than others.

Out hiking, I found a miniature plum (about the size of a large cherry) tree today pretty well loaded. I try to have a disposable grocery sack in my pack for whatever.. came in handy.
Net grab pic.
plums-on-tree.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop Everything: There's a New Seaweed That Tastes Like Bacon and Is Better for You Than Kale

4:51 AM ET

dusle-seaweed.jpg
Getty Images Dulse seaweed: a new variety, when cooked, reportedly tastes like bacon

The world's most perfect food may have just arrived

Researchers from Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center say they've created and patented a new type of seaweed that has the potential to be sold commercially as the next big superfood.

The reason? It tastes just like bacon, they claim.

The bizarre but tasty creation is actually a new strain of red marine algae called dulse that is packed full of minerals and protein and looks like red lettuce.

Dulse normally grows in the wild along the Pacific and Atlantic coastlines and is harvested, dried and sold as a cooking ingredient or nutritional supplement.

"Dulse is a superfood, with twice the nutritional value of kale," said Chuck Toombs, a faculty member in OSU's College of Business and a member of the team working to develop the product into a foodstuff. "And OSU had developed this variety that can be farmed, with the potential for a new industry for Oregon."

The team began researching ways of farming the new strain of dulse to feed abalone, but they quickly realized its potential to do well in the human-food market.

"There hasn't been a lot of interest in using it in a fresh form. But this stuff is pretty amazing," said chief researcher Chris Langdon. "When you fry it, which I have done, it tastes like bacon, not seaweed. And it's a pretty strong bacon flavor."

They've received a grant from the Oregon Department of Agriculture to explore dulse as a "special crop" and are working with the university's Food Innovation Center in Portland and several chefs to find out ways dulse could be used as a main ingredient.

Though there is currently no commercial operation that grows dulse for human consumption in the U.S., the team is confident the seaweed superfood could make it big. If it really does taste like bacon, that would be no surprise at all.

http://time.com/3960421/seaweed-baco...le-super-food/

Today I saw the fattest squirrel I've ever seen eating Maple seeds/pods like candy.
I went "yulereka!" and sure enough, on checking, they have been historically eaten (well, all but one.. I think it's a yew) by Indians.
Two are easily the size of a large peanut.

th?&id=JN.TkG6f%2bpxyC921d0LQ3xKBQ&w=313&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

On my commute yesterday, I saw a homeless guy in Portland picking berries and eating them from a Himalayan blackberry bush along the highway. One caution: I don't recommend doing that along roads, especially public roads; they are often sprayed to control them, and it can make you sick.

Also, most any plant food should be washed first; animals defecate on plants all the time - especially birds over berry bushes. I eat them right off the bush all the time, but it can happen. There was a woman who died from e. coli poisoning after eating strawberries they picked at a farm just down the road from where I live - I am guessing that the berries were not washed before consumption.

Also, most any plant food should be washed first; animals defecate on plants all the time - especially birds over berry bushes. I eat them right off the bush all the time, but it can happen. There was a woman who died from e. coli poisoning after eating strawberries they picked at a farm just down the road from where I live - I am guessing that the berries were not washed before consumption.

That one was deer piss or shot on the berries.

Someone mentioned Camas. Grows wild, and can fill fields in untended areas urban and rural around here. The root is the edible portion, just be sure you don't eat the roots of the white flowering variety, known as Death Camas.
100_1346.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top