JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While you're asking the Federal government to override a state's right to choose which other states' legally-valid licenses it honors, make sure to ask them to support the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, and override a state's right to choose which other states' legally-valid licenses it honors.

While we are at it, lets make a law that allows states to reject other states' driver's license. With the high number of DUIs in California maybe this would keep their drivers out of our state and save lives!

I support this being we will never have 100% unconditional firearm carry rights in this country short of a total collapse and rebuild (that is if the right people win). I like to travel and I like to have my firearm with me and if this bill allows me to do that with my state issued CHL, just like how other states have to honor my state issued driver's license, so be it.

The right to bear arms is a FED issue, a state issue is the reason why we have the mess we do in Cali, New York, Illinois, etc.

While we are at it, lets make a law that allows states to reject other states' driver's license. With the high number of DUIs in California maybe this would keep their drivers out of our state and save lives!

I support this being we will never have 100% unconditional firearm carry rights in this country short of a total collapse and rebuild (that is if the right people win). I like to travel and I like to have my firearm with me and if this bill allows me to do that with my state issued CHL, just like how other states have to honor my state issued driver's license, so be it.

The right to bear arms is a FED issue, a state issue is the reason why we have the mess we do in Cali, New York, Illinois, etc.

Well said.

If it's not clear, I too support Federal freedom of firearms laws. Certain things should be guaranteed in ALL states. Until we either do away with Concealed Licensing nationwide, or have a National Concealed Carry permit (that is "shall-issue",) this is the next best thing.

Like they are now in charge of your drivers license? Did you read the LINK?

LINK>> <broken link removed>

H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing or registration system; does not establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; does not involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permit; and it does not destroy or discourage the adoption of permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

LINK>><broken link removed>

H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing or registration system; does not establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; does not involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permit; and it does not destroy or discourage the adoption of permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

While you're asking the Federal government to override a state's right to choose which other states' legally-valid licenses it honors, make sure to ask them to support the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, and override a state's right to choose which other states' legally-valid licenses it honors.

+1000

The last thing I want is to have some idiot in DC have control over my CC lic. This needs to remain a "states right".

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Scheduled for House Floor on Tuesday&#8212; Contact Your U.S. Representative Immediately!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

H.R. 822&#8212;the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011" is scheduled for a vote on the U.S. House floor this Tuesday, November 15. We've told you the truth about why the legislation is very good for gun owners and now it is imperative that you contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge him or her to vote for H.R. 822 WITH NO AMENDMENTS.

As we have been reporting all along, H.R. 822 is a good bill for gun owners. The bill will enable America's millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states by requiring states to recognize each others' lawfully-issued carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

Again, this critically important bill will be on the House floor on Tuesday. Please IMMEDIATELY contact your member of Congress and urge him or her to vote for H.R. 822 WITH NO AMENDMENTS.

You can find contact information for your U.S. Representative by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at NRA-ILA ::. You may also contact your Representative by phone at (202) 225-3121. Additionally, you may CLICK HERE TO EMAIL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS.

H.R. 822 is a good bill for gun owners. Don't listen to false claims. Read the bill yourself and READ OUR FACT SHEET to get more facts.

The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill applies to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. It would not create a federal licensing system; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

• H.R. 822 recognizes the significant impact of the landmark cases, District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. City of Chicago (2010), which found that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms and that the protections of the Second Amendment extend to infringements under state law.

• Today, 49 states have laws permitting concealed carry, in some circumstances. Forty states, accounting for two-thirds of the U.S. population, have right-to-carry laws. Thirty-six of those have "shall issue" permit laws (including Alaska and Arizona, which also allow carrying without a permit), two have fairly administered "discretionary issue" permit laws, and Vermont (along with Alaska and Arizona) allows carrying without a permit. (Eight states have restrictive discretionary issue laws.)

• Citizens with carry permits are more law-abiding than the general public. Only 0.01% of nearly 1.2 million permits issued by Florida have been revoked because of firearm crimes by permit holders. Similarly low percentages of permits have been revoked in Texas, Virginia, and other right-to-carry states that keep such statistics. Right-to-carry is widely supported by law enforcement officials and groups.

• States with right-to-carry laws have lower violent crime rates. On average, right-to-carry states have 22 percent lower total violent crime rates, 30 percent lower murder rates, 46 percent lower robbery rates, and 12 percent lower aggravated assault rates, compared to the rest of the country. The seven states with the lowest violent crime rates are right-to-carry states. (Data: FBI.)

• Crime declines in states with right-to-carry laws. Since adopting right-to-carry in 1987, Florida's total violent crime and murder rates have dropped 32 percent and 58 percent, respectively. Texas' violent crime and murder rates have dropped 20 percent and 31 percent, respectively, since enactment of its 1996 right-to-carry law. (Data: FBI.)

• The right of self-defense is fundamental, and has been recognized in law for centuries. The Declaration of Independence asserts that "life" is among the unalienable rights of all people. The Second Amendment guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms for "security."

• The laws of all states and the constitutions of most states recognize the right to use force in self-defense. The Supreme Court has stated that a person "may repel force by force" in self-defense, and is "entitled to stand his ground and meet any attack made upon him with a deadly weapon, in such a way and with such force" as needed to prevent "great bodily injury or death." (Beard v. United States (1895))

• Congress affirmed the right to own guns for "protective purposes" in the Gun Control Act (1968) and Firearm Owners' Protection Act (1986). In 1982, the Senate Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution described the right to arms as "a right of the individual citizen to privately possess and carry in a peaceful manner firearms and similar arms."

It is important to note that, despite what a handful of self-proclaimed "pro-gun" activists claim, H.R. 822 would not create a federal registration or licensing system, nor would it establish a minimum federal standard for a carry permit. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Unfortunately, these self-proclaimed "gun rights" supporters, who have no active lobbying presence in Congress or any legislature, have an agenda that has very little to do with promoting the interests of gun owners.

Here are the FACTS about a few of their claims:

Myth: H.R. 822 would involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permits, resulting in "need" requirements, higher fees, waiting periods, national gun owner registration, or worse.

FACT: H.R. 822 doesn't require -- or even authorize -- any such action by any federal agency. In fact, since it would amend the Gun Control Act, it would fall under a limitation within that law that authorizes "only such rules and regulations as are necessary to carry out" the GCA's provisions. No federal rules or regulations would be needed to implement H.R. 822, which simply overrides certain state laws.

Myth: H.R. 822 would destroy permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

FACT: H.R. 822 would have absolutely no effect on how the permitless carry states' laws work within those states. For residents of Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming, where permits are not required but remain available under state law, H.R. 822 would make those permits valid in all states that issue permits to their own residents. Residents of Vermont, where no permits are issued or required, could obtain nonresident permits from other states to enjoy the benefits of H.R. 822.

Myth: If H.R. 822 moved through the legislative process, it would be subject to anti-gun amendments.

TRUTH: By this logic, neither NRA, nor any other pro-gun group, should ever promote any pro-gun reform legislation. But inaction isn't an option for those of us who want to make positive changes for gun owners. Instead, we know that by careful vote counting and strategic use of legislative procedure, anti-gun amendments can be avoided or defeated.

Posted: 2/22/2011 12:00:00 AM

I think this bill will pass the House, but will not get past the Senate, and certainly not Illinois politician Obama.

Having said that, it is very important as an ice breaker. Many bills are shot down initially, but the idea grows and eventually get passed over the years.

This is a slippery slope. I don't want the Feds in control of concealed carry, as they screw up everything they touch.

They may not be in charge of it now, but they certainly know who has a CC permit. I think the permits should be issued by states but there should be a general nation-wide recognition of the validity of said permits everywhere. This "Utah doesn't recognize Oregon" (or whatever) is just a way for some to make more money and also leads to more hoops.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top