JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I want to legally be able to bear my firearm onto the parking lot of my post office.

Simply revising the US Code to allow for possession or storage in the parking lot of post office would make my life a lot easier. I don't need or require (not yet) to be able to carry it inside, I just want to be able to have my gun with me when I'm out and about and, if I need to drop by the post office, to be able to legally secure it in my vehicle parked on premise while I go inside.

Such a change will not endanger Federal employees, or anyone else (unless I'm inside and a crazy gunman busts in and opens fire - then the rule will have endangered me and everyone inside by prohibiting a good guy with a gun, but that's another issue).

I think we should contact our Congress Critters and ask that this simple change be done soon, while we have the chance.

It doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

We should not have to disarm to use a post office. We should not have to disarm anywhere but visiting a court or jail or maybe secure area in a psych hospital - even then i doubt the guys who wrote the bill of rights would be on board with that either.

I do not generally use federal post offices. A local thriftway store has a post office station inside manned by thriftway employees. Thats where i ship things that cant be sent by first class stamped mail.

We should not have to disarm to use a post office. We should not have to disarm anywhere but visiting a court or jail or maybe secure area in a psych hospital - even then i doubt the guys who wrote the bill of rights would be on board with that either.

I do not generally use federal post offices. A local thriftway store has a post office station inside manned by thriftway employees. Thats where i ship things that cant be sent by first class stamped mail.

YESSIR...WE the people...

Concealed is concealed. I don't take my gun off unless I'm sleeping or renewing my CHL at the courthouse.

Come to think of it, I've slept with it on a few times actually.

Concealed is concealed. I don't take my gun off unless I'm sleeping or renewing my CHL at the courthouse.

Come to think of it, I've slept with it on a few times actually.

I am trying to think of a situation where someone would be aware that you have your edc secured and concealed in your vehicle just long enough to conduct PO business. Help me out here.

I am trying to think of a situation where someone would be aware that you have your edc secured and concealed in your vehicle just long enough to conduct PO business. Help me out here.

What did you quote me for? I never said I left it in my vehicle. ;)

"concealed is concealed"...kind of speaks to how or why someone would know whats in your car as well..a little too rhetorical I guess.

Ah, that makes a little more sense. And you're right, if it's concealed in your vehicle who's going to know?

The issue for me isn't whether or not I can get away with it. The issue is that I don't want to be violating a Federal Law every time I park at my post office. Living out in the woods, our primary mail is delivered to our PO Box. I have to go there at least three times a week. It's a 15 minute drive. If I have other things to do and wish to be a good little citizen I have to lose 45 minutes of my day in order to comply with Federal Code: 15 minutes there; 15 minutes back to get my gun; 15 minutes to get back on track.
Let me keep my gun in my car legally. That's all I require.

The issue for me isn't whether or not I can get away with it. The issue is that I don't want to be violating a Federal Law every time I park at my post office.

I guess you didn't get the news you are committing 3 felonies a day without even trying.

Let me keep my gun in my car legally. That's all I require.

What you require is irrelevant to our masters.

Maybe you should just resign yourself to law-breaking. It's got an honorable past. Even the Founders did plenty of it.

I guess you didn't get the news you are committing 3 felonies a day without even trying.
Yeah. I read that book years ago. I suspect we're up to 4 or 5 felonies a day at this point.

I open carry most of the time & have gone into my P.O. many times with the holster empty & they've never said a word. As soon as I get back to the truck the gun goes back on the hip. I carry at my Dr., dentist, bank, every grocery store but Costco & I conceal there. Since mid 2013 when I got back to OR & got my CHL only one guy at Fred Meyer in Wilsonville has ever asked why I was carrying. I told him about a time when it was four to one & I had a revolver (illegally carrying in CA in 1992) and when they head the hammer cock they took off. Not sure if I convinced him that carrying a sidearm is a good idea but he left with a different attitude.

Challenged in Wilsonville? Must have been a former Californian.

As someone who works in a psych hospital. We make the police disarm too. I am fine with it being a place where everybody disarms and not just guns either.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews