JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can someone point me to the thread that discussed carrying in the backcountry of National Parks? I could have sworn I was on it a while ago but now I can't find it.

What is the legality of carrying in a National Park while backpacking (this would be in Washington state, FWIW)? I could have sworn I read some where that while it says "no weapons" on their website, they had changed their policy and had not yet removed the posted signs.

I know the National Forests are totally different and much more firearm friendly.

Thanks in advance

Many thanks! I had done all of those Google searches in the past, but I somehow missed the NRA-ILA one, which was the most helpful. Plus, I know this info is somewhere on this forum as I've read it many times in the past...evidently I never subscribed as it is not in my subscribed threads list.

Oh well. Now this information is here for others to reference. Thanks for your efforts!

Markus

National parks currently follow the rules of the state they are in. So if you are
legal in Washington, you should be legal in the park.

HOWEVER----I've been to a half dozen National Parks in several states within the
past 2 years, and ALL of the parks buildings---information centers, gift shops,
restaurants---were posted "No Guns".

National parks currently follow the rules of the state they are in. So if you are
legal in Washington, you should be legal in the park.

HOWEVER----I've been to a half dozen National Parks in several states within the
past 2 years, and ALL of the parks buildings---information centers, gift shops,
restaurants---were posted "No Guns".

Right, I would concur with that. This is discussed in Mark W.'s post in the NRA-ILA article. Given the buildings on Nat'l Park land are Federal in nature, firearm carriage is verboten anyways. But in the backcountry, or outdoors in the front country, the states laws apply.

Also in many many cases the buildings and the concessions at National Parks are operated by private companies. So their rules "could" apply.

For instance here in Oregon at our only National Park Crater Lake the Hotel and the Restaurant and gift shop are Operated by Xanterra Parks & Resorts U.S. National & State Park Lodging and Resorts | Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc. not sure on the rental cottages.

The rental cottages would be your domicile, as is a hotel and your hotel room, thus you can carry there. That would be my assessment.

The rental cottages would be your domicile, as is a hotel and your hotel room, thus you can carry there. That would be my assessment.

Sure why not. LOL A couple years back when we rented a cottage at Crater Lake I had a handgun with me. Not sure what the "rules" were at the Park at the time. Wasn't a concern I was carrying concealed. Had I had to use it then I guess it could have been an additional worry.

Many thanks! I had done all of those Google searches in the past, but I somehow missed the NRA-ILA one, which was the most helpful. Plus, I know this info is somewhere on this forum as I've read it many times in the past...evidently I never subscribed as it is not in my subscribed threads list.

Oh well. Now this information is here for others to reference. Thanks for your efforts!

Markus

You can unlicensed OC carry anywhere in WA except into a School, court, and in some cases stadiums and convention centers. The whole state is the same, including NP and NF. If you are go to, coming from, or participating in an "Outdoor recreational activity" you may OC or CC, without a nanny permit. RCW 9,41.060(8). RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

Considering you said "back country" and National Park" I would assume the outdoor recreational activity usually referred to as Hiking?

The problem I've seen with google search on this subject is that for a short period there was a previous rule that required a concealed carry permit for NP carry that was negated by a court ruling from a suit brought by retired NP employees association. The current rules were attached as a rider to the banking bill to regulate consumer banking rules and Obama had to accept to get the bill he wanted. Something like that. Sometimes the old rule comes up on the google search. I have seen some of the summer help at ONP info desk refer to the old rule and even say that if you fire your weapon you will be prosecuted. That is not true for self defense and one case of an injured hiker lost for days fired his weapon and was heard by the searchers without prosecution. One case in AK of a bear kill that was accepted as self defense. There will be an investigation if you fire your weapon.
The rule on buildings on federal land is no firearms in a building where federal employees would normally work.
In WA no restrictions on open or concealed carry or handguns or longarms. I personally believe in being discreet when in the park. The real rangers seem to know the rules.

Also in many many cases the buildings and the concessions at National Parks are operated by private companies. So their rules "could" apply.

For instance here in Oregon at our only National Park Crater Lake the Hotel and the Restaurant and gift shop are Operated by Xanterra Parks & Resorts U.S. National & State Park Lodging and Resorts | Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc. not sure on the rental cottages.

Me and the wife were up at Crater Lake just last week. We browsed the gift shop, we made "deposits" @ the rest rooms, marveled @ the awesome view, and even had an excellent supper inside the Lodge (I had the bison meatloaf and berry cobler... Good stuff!). I picked out the Xanterra name running the joint but didn't notice any "no guns" signs, which short of metal detectors I ignore anyway... PERIOD.

Whether you agree with it or not, I believe no one (while within the USA) has the right to dictate my ability to carry a PDW anywhere that is open to the general public in an insecure area regardless if it's public or private property.

Unless an entity provides a properly controlled and screened access area and has provisions for my security they can suck it, "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six", and I'd wager on my chances of prevailing in court. Concealed means concealed.

BTW- The only thing we had to fight was the HUGE and very aggressive/persistent Mosquitos... LOL!

You can unlicensed OC carry anywhere in WA except into a School, court, and in some cases stadiums and convention centers. The whole state is the same, including NP and NF. If you are go to, coming from, or participating in an "Outdoor recreational activity" you may OC or CC, without a nanny permit. RCW 9,41.060(8). RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

I support and agree with you Hermannr.
Sadly, it seems that many local LE agencies are not as supportive of the 2nd Amendment as they should be.
Vancouver is the closest larger city to me, and there are examples of good folks keeping and bearing in a safe manner, yet being harassed, intimidated, even arrested and tried for actions that should be protected.
It should be a duty to speak with local LE calmly and politely, and firmly, about the need for good men and good women to be supported, not held under suspicion.

It's the only real fear that I have in this life: the slow erosion of our nation's liberty by the creeping of apathy and then fear.

Stomper said:
Whether you agree with it or not, I believe no one (while within the USA) has the right to dictate my ability to carry a PDW anywhere that is open to the general public in an insecure area regardless if it's public or private property.

Unless an entity provides a properly controlled and screened access area and has provisions for my security they can suck it, "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six", and I'd wager on my chances or prevailing in court. Concealed means concealed.

Stomper, the words are as if I had said them myself. As a matter of fact, I have said them many times.

If I may extend this discussion of our Natural Rights, I'd like to find out why folks who have committed a crime, served their time, and been deemed ready to re-enter free society have been stripped of their natural rights.

If they cannot or should not be trusted with the tools of self-defense and protection of their family, I propose that they should not have been released into free society.

Do not misread this and think I am for arming all EX-felons. I say that if we can't trust them, then they shouldn't be in free society.

Well, there was some radical content. Time to get to bed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top