Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

National Park Ban Abolished!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by fingolfen, May 20, 2009.

1. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

For once the political system seems to be working in our favor. Gun Owners of America is reporting that both the U.S. House and U.S. Senate have now both passed versions of the credit card industry reform bill containing an Amendment that abolishes the gun ban on National Park Service land as well as wildlife refuges. The Interior Department had abolished this ban near the end of Bush’s term in December. Unfortunately the Brady Campaign sued and a shopped the case to an activist judge who struck down the Interior Department’s regulation. The Interior Department, now under the Obama administration, declined to appeal the decision.

More here: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com/2009/05/national-park-ban-abolished.html

2. Flakman5000

Flakman5000 Oregon New Member

Hope this is solid and true. Would hate to be hand cuffed by a Fed for hiking while carrying on the hip.

3. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Heads to the President's desk where he's sure to sign it...

4. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Remember though, this doesn't apply right away. I think it is 9months before it goes into affect.

5. SKN

SKN Keizer, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just signed by the President so it's a done deal, but not until February 2010 when provisions of the entire bill take effect as law.

6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Moses Lake, WA Active Member

As I understand it, NRA and SAF are appealing the judge's decision, so we might have a change sooner than that. That said, I'll take it whenever it comes to pass.

Pops

7. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I hope I have some cartridges left by then :paranoid:

8. Intervention

Intervention NW Member

Is it just me that finds it odd that congress and the president acknowledge that we have a right, yet that right is not valid for nine months.

9. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I believe this was piggybacked onto the new credit card bill, so they give the credit card companies time to amend their practices, so the gun rights have to wait too. Either way, it's a win.

10. Intervention

Intervention NW Member

I understand the why, I'm just saying in theory. If this was any other right I can't see them postponing it for nine months.

11. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member